Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 12:47:06 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I always figured that a safety inside the trigger guard wasn't that safe myself as a snag on a holster, a stick, or whatever can still make the gun fire. A grip safety on the other hand requires two points of contact, a condition that is much less likely to happen accidently.

Ed

While I absolutely agree with your assessment - almost all of the Glock negligent discharges are people putting their finger on the trigger, then pulling it.  

Those that shoot themselves in the process, are breaking one of the 4 rules of gun safety, then putting their finger on the trigger, then pulling it.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 12:51:44 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I saw that too, must have out to Gibson's??  

Yessir.  They do get the strangest shooters out there.  I really have to watch others while I am there.  Because they are one of the FEW ranges that allow FMJ ammo, you get a lot of young EBR shooters.... who love the cool factor and dont have a lot of weapons safety training.  

That's why i only go on weekdays, only two or three other old farts most days.
I went on the 28th. of Feb. [B.D.} and got my zeros for waco. I still need to bug you for the comeups you use for the 175 gr. load you sent me. It will shoot with blk. Hills 168's in my 700. TIA. W.B.

The 23rd. will get here one of these weeks.Iam READY!
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:05:04 PM EDT
[#3]
The photos that have been posted of the "tupperware" Glock boxes are actually 3rd  or 4th generation boxes.

1st generation boxes have the protrutions on the center post to prevent a pistol with the trigger forward from being placed into the box.  ADDITIONALLY it had a section that held 9mm ammo much like it is in ammo tray in a box of ammo.

2nd generation boxes are like the 1st generation, EXCEPT they no longer had the ammo storage built in.

3rd generation boxes had the center post with NO protrusions, and the pistol could be placed in the box with the trigger in the forward or in the rearward position.

4th generation boxes are like 3rd generation boxes, but are slightly larger and were used to simplify only having to stock one size box at the factory.  Where before the 9mm size frame used a smaller box than the 10mm/45acp frame size weapons, now "one size fits all" with 4th generation "tupperware" boxes.

This had slipped my mind in my earlier post.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:44:34 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Here is the deal about the OLD glock box.

The concept at Glock was a loaded gun should never be stored in their box.  So little protusions were molded into the center post which made it so the pistol could not be placed in the box with the trigger forward.

The idea was to force the owner to clear the weapon before boxing the gun.  Clear weapon, press trigger, and box the gun.  That way it was known the boxed gun was unloaded and safe.

Problem... someone did not want to box an unloaded pistol, so when they put the pistol in the box, they pushed and wiggled to make it fit.  It fit OK... it pressed the trigger fully rearward and the pistol discharged.  Sometime after that Glock changed the design of their tupperware boxes to only have the post in the middle where the pistol could be boxed trigger forward or trigger rearward.

Before the bunch starts attacking my post let me add this.

I am a Glock trained transition instructor and I have been through the armorers course for certification and recertification more times than I have kept count.

The bunch got together and decided to call off the attack.

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:03:27 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

why the hell would anyone have a loaded weapon inside a case?

I concur!
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:33:16 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Here is the deal about the OLD glock box.

The concept at Glock was a loaded gun should never be stored in their box.  So little protusions were molded into the center post which made it so the pistol could not be placed in the box with the trigger forward.

The idea was to force the owner to clear the weapon before boxing the gun.  Clear weapon, press trigger, and box the gun.  That way it was known the boxed gun was unloaded and safe.

Problem... someone did not want to box an unloaded pistol, so when they put the pistol in the box, they pushed and wiggled to make it fit.  It fit OK... it pressed the trigger fully rearward and the pistol discharged.  Sometime after that Glock changed the design of their tupperware boxes to only have the post in the middle where the pistol could be boxed trigger forward or trigger rearward.

Before the bunch starts attacking my post let me add this.

I am a Glock trained transition instructor and I have been through the armorers course for certification and recertification more times than I have kept count.

The bunch got together and decided to call off the attack.

NOT TRUE...

If you read the posts after my first post, there are several posts, some with photos of a 3rd or 4th generation boxes.  The posts were saying there is no way the trigger could be pressed.  They were polite about it, but they incorrectly challenged my post.  Politely pointing out and showing photos that I was wrong.  Basically saying I was wrong.  Assuming my post was even read by that bunch.  The "I ain't never seed it so it can't be true." bunch.

...or could it be reading comprehension???

So, the information I posted was not read or was not accepted and the subtle little... "there is no way the trigger makes contact with a Glock box" group continued.  Maybe posting my qualifications prevented someone from flying a BS flag.  There are so many who have the mindset that if they do not have the knowledge or have never seen it... it CAN'T be true.  ...or THEY would know it.

I have a 1st generation box (they are kinda rare), and several 2nd, 3rd, 4th and current boxes.  "I knowed what I knowed cause I seed it!"

I stand on my posts!
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:40:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Tag
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:40:03 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Well the first problem is on a Glock factory case there is NOTHING that goes inside the trigger guard.

nas4.atlanta.gbhinc.com/GB/044320000/44320837/pix3673144562.jpg

WOW They changed the design! The older cases had something in the trigger guard.

They sure as hell did. I know that for a FACT!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:54:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Too bad glocks don't have any REAL safeties, then we wouldn't have to worry about stuff like this.

I think my comment was a little late.  
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 8:40:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Here is a link to an image of a 1st generation Glock pistol case:

www.pbase.com/hbruns/image/57457343/large

It clearly shows that the only thing keeping the pistol from sliding forward in the case is the muzzle. An AD from a loaded pistol in this case would not be difficult.

I'd ad the image in-line, but my hosting service balks at such foolishness
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 9:10:20 AM EDT
[#11]
I stand corrected... Gen I boxes did not have the protrusions on the center post to force the owner to store the weapon trigger back.

I admit to being too lazy to go to the shop and dig out my gen I box.  My apologies!

Getting older my memory sometimes need jogging.  Recalling more now about the gen I to gen II "tupperware" box.  There were safety concerns voiced from I don't think I was told or heard... that thought it unsafe to be able to box the pistol loaded and with ammo stored in the box.  It might have been increased sales in the US.  The gen i box was replaced with the gen II "tupperware"

Gen I boxes are not common.  Oh, my source.  A number of Glock sponsored training classes, the national academy I rotated to as a guest firearms instructor, and the instructor (my friend) that was assigned to the academy who had a connection at the Glock factory in the mid 80s.

A funny story related to this.  My buddy Charlie, I knew had a connection at the Glock factory.  Charlie was a staff instructor at the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center at Glynco, GA.  I needed a few Glock parts, including some restricted parts.  I call Charlie and ask what he could do.  He says he will work on it.  About a week or so later I get a telephone call at work from Glock by a guy saying Charlie asked him to get in touch with me about the parts.  I request the parts, the guy says "no problem" and I ask how much.  He says no charge.  The parts arrive quickly.  A couple days later I am reading a magazine article in some gun rag about Glock Inc.  I see the guys name in the article.  The guy that called me and Carlies friend was the CEO of Glock.  I called Charlie and said I knew he had a connection at Glock, but I had no idea how high it was.  True story!
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 9:14:39 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

It clearly shows that the only thing keeping the pistol from sliding forward in the case is the muzzle. An AD from a loaded pistol in this case would not be difficult.

Huh?  There is a post in there directly in front of the trigger guard - which keeps the pistol from moving forward.  That is a much older design than mine.  I'd like to take that case, charge the weapon, and see if you could apply enough pressure to discharge.  I am thinking not.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 9:20:42 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
shit happens! If true.....LAWSUIT!!!!

it says real big on the glock box, [b]"NEVER PUT A LOADED HANDGUN IN HERE"
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:45:40 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Huh?  There is a post in there directly in front of the trigger guard - which keeps the pistol from moving forward.  That is a much older design than mine.  I'd like to take that case, charge the weapon, and see if you could apply enough pressure to discharge.  I am thinking not.

If the muzzle was not up against the case wall, there would be plenty of "slop" for the pistol to move around. As it is, I can easily move the pistol so the trigger is about halfway depressed.

This image is with the trigger at its rear-most position (trigger pulled). When its "cocked", the trigger bears against the center post in such a way that the Safe-Action safety is depressed.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top