Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/15/2006 4:52:49 AM EDT
My wife came home and was still half chuckling.  Apparently, in her church mothers group some of the mothers saw her drinking a diet coke and were convinced that aspertame will give you all sort of health problems.  They were convinced that the powerful drug and diet lobby are keeping the dangers of aspertame under wraps.  I've actually read some of these websites, and some of these folks really are pretty off center.

My wife and I have talk about this before, and find it amazing how some people will believe anything they read on the internet.  

So any other good ones (urban legands about toxic food additatives) that someone you know has firmly believe was true?
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:00:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Aspertame makes my mom dizzy.  I do agree, some people take it to extreme levels.  My mom just avoids things with aspertame.  No big deal.

Kent
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:06:10 AM EDT
[#2]
I was at my sister's, and my niece freaked out because I used plastic wrap to cover something I heated in the microwave.

I told her that the email she had read about that was full of crap. She said even her teacher (11th grade) told her it would cause cancer. I just laughed and told her that if she wanted to, she could tell him he was full of shit too.

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:06:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Diet Coke almost killed my FAther in Law after his last heart surgery. No joking around. That stuff is bad news for a lot of people. I dont' think it affects me personally but I've seen what it can do.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:08:05 AM EDT
[#4]
My mother-in-law believes ALL of the urban myths people tell her. All of them.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:09:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Some people are still afraid to eat peanuts because of the aflatoxin scare back in the '80s.

My favorite take on that kind of thing is the Woody Allen movie Sleeper, the scene where the doctor offers him some brandy and a cigar.

Aspartame tastes funny to me.  I use only real sugar (rarely) and real butter.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:09:13 AM EDT
[#6]
That sweetener causes irregular firing of neurons (Seizure technically), breaks down into formaldahyde (sp?) and some other nasty shit. Seriously. Stay away from the blue stuff.
I could tell you some crap some docs I work with attribute to it as well, besides the web sites (same info) but soft drinks are like cigs...mostly no one is going to stop.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:13:22 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I was at my sister's, and my niece freaked out because I used plastic wrap to cover something I heated in the microwave.

OK....
FACT: The styrofoam your meat is sold on (not that meat) gives off molecules that your body thinks are estrogen.
You aren't supposed to have a bird in a house that you are cooking on non-stick in...fumes.
It may be a certain kind, because I know a bird owner who doesn't care....maybe his birds are retards, though.
I won't cook in/on aluminum. Alzheimers patients have elevated levels of aluminum in their brain and there have be studies corelating the two.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:16:00 AM EDT
[#8]
WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE!!!!!  

seriously, though I'm a Splenda man myself

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:22:36 AM EDT
[#9]
There is one "urban legend" that I believe and I will not stop believing no matter what any of you say!

Here it is:  Soylent Green is people!   It's people...!
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:26:54 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I won't cook in/on aluminum. Alzheimers patients have elevated levels of aluminum in their brain and there have be studies corelating the two.

Fact: Aluminum is found in ALL root vegetables because it's in dirt. They haven't tested an equal number of non-Alzheimer victims' brain matter to act as a proper control for that theory.

http://www.sciam.com/askexpert_question.cfm?articleID=0000FCD2-AA88-1C71-9EB7809EC588F2D7&catID=3

Two more researchers have responded to this question. Leonard Berg is a professor of neurology at the Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis; until recently, he directed the Alzheimer's Disease Research Center there. He replies:
"There is no proof, and the current consensus is that aluminum does not play a major role in the development of Alzheimer's disease. But because the causes of the disorder are not understood at this time, one cannot rule out the possibility that aluminum could play a minor role. In our Center, we do not recommend that people avoid aluminum cooking pans or aluminum-containing antiperspirants or antacids because there is little evidence that such lifestyle changes are helpful. Moreover, it is impossible to avoid ingesting a certain amount of aluminum, which is found naturally in food and water."
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:28:48 AM EDT
[#11]
I always like to tell them to do a little research, and to start with Snopes.com not to mention just doing a google and reading any number of news articles that deal with this subject (or nearly every other subject for that matter).
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:32:37 AM EDT
[#12]
I generally try to avoid anything "diet."  I just don't like stuffing myself with preservatives and synthetic sweeteners.  I think a lot of the diet or lo-cal foods are high in sodium also.  If I'm getting fat(which I am!) I'll just eat healthier food or exercise more(which I am!).  I know pretty much anything I didn't grow myself is going to have preservatives or additives of some "unnatural" sort, but the less the better IMO.  I also avoid prepared microwave meals, and most of the stuff that comes in boxes.  I try to stick to fresh meats & vegetables, pasta, rice, potatoes, etc.  I don't drink much pop at all anymore, and definitely not any diet pop.

When I was a kid they almost put me on ritalin for ADHD, but my parents instead decided to just control my sugar and preservative intake, and they say it worked great.

On the other hand, I love beer and bourbon and have no issue with drinking them!
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:34:18 AM EDT
[#13]
All I can say is that Aspartame affects me badly. Splenda gives me serious gas and the shits, as does Olestra.

I try to stick to natural foods, and avoid as many chemicals as I can, because my body seems to have a problem with many of them.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:54:02 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

OK....
FACT: The styrofoam your meat is sold on (not that meat) gives off molecules that your body thinks are estrogen.
How do you give off molecuels?
You aren't supposed to have a bird in a house that you are cooking on non-stick in...fumes.
It may be a certain kind, because I know a bird owner who doesn't care....maybe his birds are retards, though.
How can you cook food on a pan that gives off toxic fumes and not get sick yourself?

Could you have atleast written a coherent response.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:54:13 AM EDT
[#15]
I would be more concerned about my teeth from drinking too much diet coke than anything.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:59:19 AM EDT
[#16]
French fries can cause cancer. Myth or reality?

I try to stay away from hydrogenated oils, as found in margarine and many processed foods. Natural is better, imho, organic whenever possible is preferable. I think the key is to eat intelligently, that's all. Everything in moderation.

edit for typo
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:00:01 AM EDT
[#17]
I'd be more concerned with the utterly horrible fucking taste of diet coke.

But then again, I don't drink coke.  If you're going to bother with the diet part, just fucking drink water.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:00:28 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I would be more concerned about my teeth from drinking too much diet coke than anything.

God yes. You can feel it stripping the enamel off your teeth. LOL

I drink water - a lot of it.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:01:06 AM EDT
[#19]
The body metabolizes it into formaldehyde and methanol.  Both pretty bad, but I'm sure the amounts are so small it cant possibly hurt you.

I prefer diet sodas, never feel ill from drinking them.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:01:49 AM EDT
[#20]
There are radio programs on every day, particularly shortwave, which talk about the evils of aspartame, tomatos, pasteurization, margarine, fluoride, bleached flour, processed sugar, and a large list of other items.  It is obvious that some people are obsessed with the subject.  Do they have a point?  Are they smoking crack?  

I have no idea.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:02:05 AM EDT
[#21]
I've read the theories on the metabolites (methanol to be specific) being converted into formaldehyde.  This is true, the liver will carry out this conversion...what isn't mentioned is that methanol ios a natural byproduct of normal digestion (to varying amounts).  The body is more than capable of handeling small amounts of methanol.  You wouldn't want to drink methanol, but the amounts that one recieves from a can of diet coke pales in comparison to the natural occurance.  That what bothers me about these urban legands...take a grain of scientific truth and make a UNSCIENTIFIC assumption that allows that truth to make your case for you.  

I compare it to the truth commercials that were running last year.  They have a chemist (in full hazmat gear) that talks about the dangers of acetone (which occurs in cigarette smoke).  Now they fail to mention that the body makes acetone...in fact a clinical sign of a diabetic is the odor of acetone on their breath.  Also, add in all the nail polish remover that contains acetone (and the non-acetone ones that contain ethyl acetate...no less toxic, only less flammable) and you have a commercial that is absolutely silly.

I'm sure there are many that swear that aspertame has been the root of all that ills them (and condsidering how unique each one of us is, I'm sure some have some points).  My issue is with those that make statements of the unsafe nature of something, based solely on highly skewed and questionable science.  Until someone can site a REPUTABLE study otherwise, don't go around and spreading non-sense.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:02:27 AM EDT
[#22]
Yes, anything diet is bad for you, kab tests have shown...

Although, the tests were on mice, and the amount of the drug they gave them amounts to drinking about 100 cans a day, for oh I dunno, maybe a year.

So the study is seriously flawed.  You drink 100 cans of diet soda a day, for a year, and yes, you'll develop problems.  A can or 2 a day isn't going to hurt you.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:02:29 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

OK....
...I won't cook in/on aluminum. Alzheimers patients have elevated levels of aluminum in their brain and there have be studies corelating the two.

Bullshit.  Styrofoam is polystryene, nothing CLOSE to estorgen.  What you are thinking about is bisphenol A, used in polycarbonates, not polystryene.  And its only present is cheap polystyrene that has been improperly cured.

Aluminum is completely safe.  Do you avoid china?  It too has aluminum in it.  Same with Mylanta.  In fact, each teaspoon (5 ml) has 400 mg of aluminum hydroxide! And there is NOT A SINGLE SHRED OF PROOF that aluminum is responsible for Alzheimer's disease.
Fuck, they can also find plutonium in Alzheimer's brains.  
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:14:16 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
French fries can cause cancer. Myth or reality?

I try to stay away from hydrogenated oils, as found in margarine and many processed foods. Natural is better, imho, organic whenever possible is preferable. I think they key is to eat intelligently, that's all. Everything in moderation.

The acrylamide in cooked potatoes is a fact but the effects of consumption of these potatoes is a myth.  Acrylamide is a highly reactive monomer (meaning a chemical that can join with itself or another chemical) and as such, it cannot easily enter the body.  Acrylamide is a neurotoxin but so is nicotine, alcohol, phenol (Chloroseptic) and we all live fine with these.  It takes a considerable dose of acrylamide to become toxic because in the stomach, most is reacted to non-absorbable polymers.

Organic is a sham because it creates fear, uncertainty and doubt among the believers.  What consumers need to know is EVERYTHING is TOXIC.  Even water will kill you, 13.5 liters consumed in one hour kills 50% of the adult males who attempt this feat.  But even the most potent toxins can be rendered harmless if the dose is small enough.  Case in point?  Selenium.  There is a fraction of nutritionists who feel some selemium is necessary in the diet yet large doses will kill you.  Ditto with chromium.  

Read up on hormesis.  Everything is toxic, the poison in in the level of the dose.  See the writings of Dr. Bruce Ames for further reading.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:16:20 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
All I can say is that Aspartame affects me badly. Splenda gives me serious gas and the shits, as does Olestra.

I try to stick to natural foods, and avoid as many chemicals as I can, because my body seems to have a problem with many of them.

Water is a chemical.  So is oxygen, the cause of most cancers.  Yes, oxygen.  Free radical, monoatomic oxygen as what the mitochondria uses for oxidation that releases the energy you somatic cells need.

Proteins are also chemicals as are carbohydrates.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:18:39 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hopefully less than 13.5 liters per hour  That is the lethal dose that will kill 50% of the people taking it.  No kidding, WATER is toxic!  So is oxygen.  If a SCUBA diver is DUMB enough to fill his tank with pure oxygen and descends more than 35 feet, chances are great he will not survive!
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:20:29 AM EDT
[#27]
Lite beer is less filling. Not if you drink twice as much.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:22:59 AM EDT
[#28]
I know someone who has some kind of allergic reaction to it. He even flew to the Mayo Clinic after all of the doctors around here said they couldn't find anything or that it was in his head. He received information on it and after cutting it from his diet he hasn't had any problems at all unless he has something that has aspertame in it.

I don't think it is some secret conspiracy or anything. He did suffer health problems from it but some people are allergic to many everyday foods.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:24:49 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
That sweetener causes irregular firing of neurons (Seizure technically), breaks down into formaldahyde (sp?) and some other nasty shit. Seriously. Stay away from the blue stuff.
I could tell you some crap some docs I work with attribute to it as well, besides the web sites (same info) but soft drinks are like cigs...mostly no one is going to stop.

All quitsmoking.about.com/cs/nicotineinhaler/a/cigingredients.htm]599[url/] additives in cigarettes.

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:29:42 AM EDT
[#30]
For crying out loud, there are more people allergic to PEANUTS.  Deathly allergic.  Snicker's bar wrappers have WARNING labels on them as do many other candy bars that do not have peanuts as a listed ingredient just because there COULD be CONTAMINATION by PEANUTS.

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:30:07 AM EDT
[#31]
I missed out on YEARS of fun, all because I believed I'd go blind from doing that too much.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:31:03 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hopefully less than 13.5 liters per hour  That is the lethal dose that will kill 50% of the people taking it.  No kidding, WATER is toxic!  So is oxygen.  If a SCUBA diver is DUMB enough to fill his tank with pure oxygen and descends more than 35 feet, chances are great he will not survive!

Nah, two or three liters a day. I feel like hell if I get dehydrated. (plus I imagine any stray 'baddie' cells being killed by my immune system and flushed out. Hey, it can't hurt...)

I'm reading a book; Stopping cancer before it starts, from the American Institute for Cancer Research and it basically says the same thing; pretty much everything we ingest can cause damage if we take too much of it. It's about striking a balance and giving your body the tools it needs to maintain a healthy immune system.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:33:25 AM EDT
[#33]
My Grandmother died of Alzheimer's. She cooked with aluminum pans for as long as I can remember.

The feeling in our family is that it may have had something to do with it, despite what Snopes or anyone else might say.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:38:50 AM EDT
[#34]
TEOTWAWKI
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:39:57 AM EDT
[#35]
I avoid additives like aspertame and have since I was 15 (I'm now 24). I no longer get migraines. Made a difference in my life. No urban legend to me.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:45:19 AM EDT
[#36]
I remember an urban legend regarding Febreeze and animals...something about it being toxic or some horse puckey.

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:00:02 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
My mother-in-law believe ALL of the urban myths people tell her. All of them.

Our mother-in-laws must be pen pals.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:07:35 AM EDT
[#38]
Aspartame gives me headaches.

That being said, if it was too dangerous then millions would be dead from the effects by now. Some people are probably just more sensitive to it than others.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:18:21 AM EDT
[#39]
I try to avoid all the stuff with harmful chemicals.

I'll stick with good 'ol healthy beer, coffee and an all natural cigar.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:28:18 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:30:10 AM EDT
[#41]
It's amusing to hear people say things like they try and avoid chemicals.  WTF do they think EVERYTHING is made of?

As far as natural, well, aren't hemlock and cyanide NATURAL enough for you?

Keith_J nailed it with his reply.

There'a a saying that's over a century old,

"It's the dose that makes the poison"
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:34:18 AM EDT
[#42]
We're all gonna die from something.  I'd rather not die of worry.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:43:55 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

NOT ONLY THAT!  But they also found - guess what? - WATER in alzheimer's patientss brains!  This is the clincher for me!  No more water!
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:47:44 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
My Grandmother died of Alzheimer's. She cooked with aluminum pans for as long as I can remember.

The feeling in our family is that it may have had something to do with it, despite what Snopes or anyone else might say.

Did she use an electric blanket?  Them things are found in many senior citizen's homes.  And we all know old people get Alzheimer's.

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:58:11 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
It's amusing to hear people say things like they try and avoid chemicals.  WTF do they think EVERYTHING is made of?

One does tend to fare better if they stick to food in its most natural form, meaning without a bunch of extra additives thrown in before it gets to your plate.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:00:20 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

One does tend to fare better if they stick to food in its most natural form, meaning without a bunch of extra additives thrown in before it gets to your plate.

Really? Then you can explain why life expectancy has risen along with the use of additives and preservatives in food.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:01:51 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Really? Then you can explain why life expectancy has risen along with the use of additives and preservatives in food.

Maybe because we have better drugs and technologies that keep people alive for longer.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:03:11 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe because we have better drugs and technologies that keep people alive for longer.

Possible, even probable. But that does nothing to counteract the fact that there is NO correlation between food additives and longer life. NONE.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:05:45 AM EDT
[#49]
John_Wayne777

You said one, which one?  Be a little more specific please.

If you don't have facts, then you're entitled to your opinion of course.

You are living proof of the title of this thread.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:10:41 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Really?  The preservatives BHT and BHA are antioxidants which PREVENT cancer.  Ascorbic acid added as a preservative is nothing more than vitamin C, something we all need.  

On the other hand, potatoes which are not cooked (averting that acrylamide issue) expose the consumer to high levels of toxic alkaloids including nicotine.  Potatos are a nightshade which as a class of plants, generally have toxic alkaloids.  Potato leaves have more nicotine than tobacco, another nightshade.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top