Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/15/2006 4:04:55 AM EDT
Living in high humidity FL, safe in closet. Am not shooting much at all, so I need to know what is a good solution for longer term storage. Gun socks, bags, goldenrod, spray down of firearms with a protectant, Damp Rid, etc.?
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:13:35 AM EDT
Cosmoline. Lots & lots of cosmoline.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:14:57 AM EDT

Originally Posted By KBaker:
Cosmoline. Lots & lots of cosmoline.

Not THAT long term! I still want to be able to grab the rifle and go shooting without spending a long time cleaning it before hand.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:35:21 AM EDT
I'd go with the special plastic/mylar/composite bags with a VCI product made for firarms that are available from all the usual suspects (Brownells, Midway, etc.). A few years ago I needed to store a firearm in a hi-humid, low-high temp. area for a couple years. I cleaned the gun as normal, oiled a LITTLE heavier than normal and sealed the gun into a bag marketed by "Kleen-Bore" I bought from Sportsmans' Guide. I took the gun out after almost three years and it looked like the day I sealed it up.

If you are using a safe I would go with a 3 layer approach of - light oiling, "Goldenrod" and a Silica based dessicant. Do not use the "Damp-Rid" product in a safe. It does not hold the moisture and will release it back into the safe environment with Rh changes due to temp. variations.
Top Top