Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/15/2006 3:55:29 AM EDT
A friend just got deported for overstaying his visa.  He's worrying about getting visas in other countries hereafter.  Do countries care if someone has overstayed in another country in the past, or has had a visa cancelled "with extreme prejudice"?
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:45:38 AM EDT
[#1]
It depends which country he was deported from and which country he wants to go to, why and how long he overstayed his visa.
Generally it is frowned on.

Your friend could contact the embassy of the country he wants to go to and ask, IMHO that would be the safest way to go about it.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:55:07 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
A friend just got deported for overstaying his visa.  He's worrying about getting visas in other countries hereafter.  Do countries care if someone has overstayed in another country in the past, or has had a visa cancelled "with extreme prejudice"?

He will probably have a hard time getting a Visa for another country because he has a cancelled stamp on his American Visa.  Consular officers will see that when he gives them his passport when he applies for a new visa.  When they see that, they'll ask about it.  He's already got a stike against him for having a cancelled visa.  If he tries to bullshit his way around it, they'll deny him.

If this was for a US Visa, I call bullshit on it being cancelled "with extreme prejudice."  There are only two stamps.  "Cancelled", meaning you did something wrong.  And "Cancelled without prejudice", meaning he received a new visa, or changed status.  I know this because I asked for that kinda stamp when I went through school.  There is no stamp, and they said it wouldn't be in your best interest to write that on the visa. Oh well.

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:29:22 AM EDT
[#3]
If he has a US passport, just "lose" it and get a replacement.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:56:07 PM EDT
[#4]
My bad.  I'm in Taiwan.  The guy is a U.S. citizen who overstayed in Taiwan by a few days, and ran into a PMSing immigration bitch at the airport.  His business takes him overseas fairly often.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top