Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/14/2006 11:33:34 AM EDT

So I've been putting off cleaning a few firearms lately, and I had forgotten how much fun it is.  I cleaned five pistols Sunday night, and four more on Monday.  It feels great to reassemble and function-check a spotless and lightly oiled weapon, the stow it back in the safe and pull out another one.  I still need to clean the two ARs double check a few of the safe queens, and then I'll be good to go.

By the way, is the USGI toothbrush the best cleaning tool in the world?  One toothbrush and one Boresnake and that's pretty much all I need to get the job done.  Just wipe off the bristles when they get too filthy, and go right back to scrubbing.

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 11:38:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Where in FL are you, I'll bring my guns over!
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 11:42:47 AM EDT
[#2]
I used to love cleanign my mauser, especially since I shoot corrosive ammo. Then as the novelty wore off, it became a tedious task. Then my friend let his go 2+ months without cleaning after shooting to no ill effect (no moisture in AZ!). So Now I only clean it when I have shot a whole bunch. however cleaning pistols is different, cause they are pretty easy to do.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 11:44:05 AM EDT
[#3]
I never enjoyed it.  If I could pressure wash em and hang em on a line to dry I'd probably opt for that.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 11:46:35 AM EDT
[#4]
I love cleaning and caring for my guns about as much as I enjoy shooting them.  

I like Glocks for their simplicity and reliability, but they don't need an ounce of effort to maintain.  A light scrub, a wipedown, and that's it.  Now a 1911 or a Hi-power on the other hand is fun all the way around.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 11:47:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Then you won't mind cleaning a few more
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 12:02:07 PM EDT
[#6]

I admit,  rifles aren't as fun as pistols, but I still like laying out all the parts on a dirty towel in front of the TV and giving them all a good scrubbing.  I never use gun scrubber solvent anymore, just the tooth brush and a tiny bit of oil right before reassembly.  

Sometimes I also make lists of names while I'm cleaning.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top