Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/14/2006 11:15:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/14/2006 11:16:30 AM EDT by thelastgunslinger]
We are determining the order for our fantasy baseball draft. We will have cards numbered 1 through 10, and each player will draw a card to determine their draft position.

So here is the question:

Is there an optimal position from which to draw a card? i.e. does the first player to draw have a better or worse chance than the last player? Assume that optimal is defined as pulling the number 1 pick.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 11:20:28 AM EDT
this is actually more of a probability question. In theory, if you dont replace cards after they are drawn and the first people draw high (8, 9,10 etc) numbers, your chance of getting 1 is better.
I can't answer your question more completely cause its spring break.
I hate probability oh so much, mostly because im taking a probability class now.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 11:23:23 AM EDT

Originally Posted By thelastgunslinger:
We are determining the order for our fantasy baseball draft. We will have cards numbered 1 through 10, and each player will draw a card to determine their draft position.

So here is the question:

Is there an optimal position from which to draw a card? i.e. does the first player to draw have a better or worse chance than the last player? Assume that optimal is defined as pulling the number 1 pick.

Since this is done without substitution, all probablities are dependent on previous selections. Without going into a lot of technical issues, the short answer is No, there is no optimal position.
Top Top