Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/14/2006 8:55:23 AM EDT
who has gotton a tattoo when they were young and are now regretting they ever got the tattoos?

have you ever been treated unfairly or discriminated against because of your tats?

Ive seen a few people in their early 20's that already have the full arm and leg tattoos and I wonder if they will ever regret they did it?
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:57:56 AM EDT
[#1]
I got my first one when I was 19. I'm now 36 and planning on getting more. I might regret them when I'm 93 and wetting my adult diaper but I'll cross that bridge when I come it

As for being discriminated against, mine aren't visable when I'm wearing work clothes. I don't have any on my arms or neck so you can't see them in a polo shirt and dockers. Mine are on my legs and back.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:58:56 AM EDT
[#2]
The thought of having regret later has kept me from getting one in the first place. One thing's for sure - I'm quite happy with myself the way I am. I might be happier with a tat, but then I might not. Not getting one is risk management.

I do think they're pretty cool though.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:05:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Regret may be too strong of a word.

If I had it to do over, I wouldn't get them.  That's because my lifestyle and values are very different today.

However, most of the time I don't even think about them.  
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:06:06 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
The thought of having regret later has kept me from getting one in the first place. One thing's for sure - I'm quite happy with myself the way I am. I might be happier with a tat, but then I might not. Not getting one is risk management.

If you walk into a studio, pick on off the wall and have it done you WILL regret it!

If you plan, design, draw it (or have someone draw it), noodle on it, revise it, think about it some more, redraw it and then take it to a professional for their opinion on the amount of detail, how it will look in 10 years, placement on the body, etc you will not regret it.

The right artist can help you with all of those things and more and can steer you clear of the DON'TS. If my guy didn't tell me "no" at least three times leading up to a new piece of work I would think something is wrong. A true tattoo artist doesn't want his work looking like shit later on and will let you know about it.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:07:28 AM EDT
[#5]
I regret not going to a better artist when I was younger but i have a total of 3 tats, one I recently just got redone because it was my least fav and it has become my fav tat, I have two others on my back that i plan to get redone as well and I may get one or two more after that but we will see. I don't regret getting anything I just regret not shopping for a better artist. I love all my tattoos for one reason or another.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:13:01 AM EDT
[#6]
No regrets. I wanted one when I was 19. Waited until I was 28. Got what I wanted. Got another one 2 years ago, and love it. Like many, I don't think about them much. Mine are hidden unless I wear shorts (you'll see the ankle one then) or a 2 peice bathing suit (lower back), so they're not in places where they can be seen, so no discrimination. Only time I think about the one on my ankle is when I do a show: I have to cover it when I perform.
I've made some boneheaded decisions in this life that cause me regret. Getting inked isn't one of them.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:14:26 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a few, all are hidden when wearing a shortsleeve shirt so employers can't see them. I tend to get a tattoo when something substantial in my life happens. I have one that I'm debating on getting covered, I got it when I got married. I'm now divorced but I like the tattoo so I haven't decided what I want to do with it yet. I'm thinking about having it covered with something else.

I don't regret getting any of them. I'm debating on covering this one one because of the reason that I got it in the first place.

edited: I can't type worth a crap
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:14:44 AM EDT
[#8]
I regret misspelling "Molon Labe" on mine.  
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:16:04 AM EDT
[#9]
I regret getting the in house tat when I was 14, it is still there and it still sux.

one day I guess I'll get a cover for it.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:17:20 AM EDT
[#10]
This is what they look like after getting lasered a few times. (Wrist and web between thumg and index finger)

That pic doesn't show the word "Forever" I had tattooed on my ring finger when i got married and removed after the marriage failed. It seems that 1.5 years with me felt like "Forever" to my ex.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:23:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Seventeen per cent of U.S. tattooees regret their body art.  -Harris Survey

Over half. - American Society of Dermatological Surgery

Three-quarters of everybody who gets a tattoo regrets it later. - British Journal of Dermatology

Among sailors in the Royal Navy, over 50% regretted ever getting a tattoo. - Ronald Scutt, author:
"Art,Sex,and Symbol"

Pick a number.

I'd think a tattoo artist could have a great second income by investing an a laser surgery business.

"It costs about a hundred times as much to remove a tattoo by laser as it costs to get the tattoo".
-Montreal Mirror.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:24:29 AM EDT
[#12]
I watched my landlord try and remove one of his with sandpaper one time.

That was an educational experience for me.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:24:30 AM EDT
[#13]
I would if I did but I don't.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:25:05 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
This is what they look like after getting lasered a few times. (Wrist and web between thumg and index finger)

www.goobage.com/pics/laser.jpg

That pic doesn't show the word "Forever" I had tattooed on my ring finger when i got married and removed after the marriage failed. It seems that 1.5 years with me felt like "Forever" to my ex.

i heard that getting tats removed hurt way worse than getting the tat, what would you say?
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:25:41 AM EDT
[#15]
 Not me:

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:30:54 AM EDT
[#16]
The funny ones are the ones who get a "nice" tat when young, but when fat time hits, they just look like a purple blob.  
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:31:11 AM EDT
[#17]
this guy might:

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:35:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:40:43 AM EDT
[#19]
I regret every tattoo that every hot chick ever got.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:41:14 AM EDT
[#20]
Hell no, I don't have any regrets.  No, they have never caused any discrimination.  And I don't care if someone approves or disapproves.  It is none of their business.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:46:39 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
this guy might:

gominosensei.org/images/pics/fresh_dean_tattoo.jpg

What a fag.

I don't regret mine.  I have chinese symbols that say "unleash the warrior within" in between my shoulder blades.  If I don't want to look at it...I don't have to.  
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:48:37 AM EDT
[#22]
I regret getting PART of one of my tattoos. First wife's name. Yeah stupid. Had a cover-up done. Not a problem anymore. As far as regretting getting any other tattoos.... No regrets.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:58:08 AM EDT
[#23]
There's no need to ever regret the tattoo decision because the tattoo suport system is so large.  

Everyone that has a tatoo will tell you that you did the right thing by getting that Schlitz Malt Liquor bull on your chest or that KFC bucket of extra crispy on your bicep (even if you were drunk when you got it!)

You can rationalize your decision now to get one to show your individualality, and you can have the support of all of the other individualists later to ward off the threat of regret.

It's win/win all the way!
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:05:36 AM EDT
[#24]

I have some very slight regret about NOT getting a tattoo - does that help?  

I always intended to get a tattoo in the army, but never quite decided what to get, and never had the time to find a good shop and get around to it.  I was originally going to get my sergeant's stripes tattooed on my arm, but it was probably a good thing I didn't, considering I later became an officer.

I recently told the dean at Vanderbilt that I'd get a "V" tattoo if he gives me tenure this year.  Although I didn't tell him WHERE I'd get it, so perhaps I could get it on my ass, or on my wife.  
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:12:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Not me personally, but my grandfather on my mother's side was a Merchant Marine during WWII, he ran away from home and joined when he was 17, lied about his age.  Even though he was "just" a Merchant Marine, he was proud of his service (his ship hit a landmine and got torporded by a jap sub).   He got an anchor tattood to the back part of his arm, from his wrist to his elbow.  The only thing he ever regretted about his service was that tattoo, he always wore long sleeve shirts or hid that portion of his arm against his body, said it was the dumbest thing he did.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:14:01 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I regret getting PART of one of my tattoos. First wife's name. Yeah stupid. Had a cover-up done. Not a problem anymore. As far as regretting getting any other tattoos.... No regrets.

+1, wife's name, the only one I regret.  I think I would prefer removal than coverup.  I don't regret the rest of them though.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 2:01:06 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.goobage.com/pics/laser.jpg

i heard that getting tats removed hurt way worse than getting the tat, what would you say?

I compare it to taking all the pain that it took to get the tattoo and compressing it down to the 5 minutes each visit it takes to get it burn off.

BTW, I also have many tattoos that I don't regret getting.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 2:12:03 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you walk into a studio, pick on off the wall and have it done you WILL regret it!

If you plan, design, draw it (or have someone draw it), noodle on it, revise it, think about it some more, redraw it and then take it to a professional for their opinion on the amount of detail, how it will look in 10 years, placement on the body, etc you will not regret it.

The right artist can help you with all of those things and more and can steer you clear of the DON'TS. If my guy didn't tell me "no" at least three times leading up to a new piece of work I would think something is wrong. A true tattoo artist doesn't want his work looking like shit later on and will let you know about it.

Big +1.  People who get tattoos for individual reasons tend to have individualized and well thought-out designs and placement.  People who get a tattoo off the art wall for the sheer hell of it often regret them.  There are probably a lot more of the latter than the fomer.  

Lucky for them, those small flash tattoos usually wind up on their shoulder or ankle or somewhere equally unobservable.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:56:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Just 1 . I regret having my ex wife's name across my heart .
Thank god it is not in English so I not every one knows what it is .
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:04:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Mine is on my shoulder blade.  I forget its even there.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:07:09 PM EDT
[#31]

his ship hit a landmine and got torporded by a jap sub

neat trick

landmines are hard for ships to hit
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:09:28 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

neat trick

I have four and about a third sleeve and I dont regret any of them.

-BJohnson
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:11:34 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

neat trick

I'm crying, I'm laughing so hard.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:14:02 PM EDT
[#34]
I have around 65% of my body covered. I sometimes wish I hadn't tattooed my fingers or my ear. They are sucky skin areas that tend to deteriorate quickly. I wouldn't actually mind having the ink there if it would have lasted longer. Mostly I don't even think of it though.

I've had minor amounts of discrimination for work, but nothing that has really affected my life. There were a couple companies that wouldn't hire me to do marketing, one went out of business soon after and one gave up all it's marketing locations and farmed it out.

I later encountered parties from both that wouldn't hire me, when I was successfully managing another companies marketing for them. I worked in the timeshare industry at the time, which is pretty intreconnected so word gets around. Both realized they lost a great employee down the road.

Now I run my own business. I've either never encountered any discrimination in my new line of work, or never noticed, so I guess it's not that big of a deal.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:14:50 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Regret may be too strong of a word.

If I had it to do over, I wouldn't get them.  That's because my lifestyle and values are very different today.

However, most of the time I don't even think about them.  

+1

No reason to type a response when someone else has summed it up so succinctly.

My thoughts exactly.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:16:13 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Not me personally, but my grandfather on my mother's side was a Merchant Marine during WWII, he ran away from home and joined when he was 17, lied about his age.  Even though he was "just" a Merchant Marine, he was proud of his service (his ship hit a landmine and got torporded by a jap sub).   He got an anchor tattood to the back part of his arm, from his wrist to his elbow.  The only thing he ever regretted about his service was that tattoo, he always wore long sleeve shirts or hid that portion of his arm against his body, said it was the dumbest thing he did.

Not as dumb as hitting a landmine with a ship.
Must have been wayyyy off course on that one, eh?
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:14:42 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not as dumb as hitting a landmine with a ship.
Must have been wayyyy off course on that one, eh?

maybe when his ship dropped anchor, it hit a land mine buried on the ocean floor?
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:29:33 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

I agree.  So trashy.  
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:31:07 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

I'd like to know how his ship hit a land mine.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:43:52 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

neat trick

DOH!  Didn't even catch that.....

Obviously I meant a sea mine.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:25:10 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
I have around 65% of my body covered. I sometimes wish I hadn't tattooed my fingers or my ear. They are sucky skin areas that tend to deteriorate quickly. I wouldn't actually mind having the ink there if it would have lasted longer. Mostly I don't even think of it though.

I've had minor amounts of discrimination for work, but nothing that has really affected my life. There were a couple companies that wouldn't hire me to do marketing, one went out of business soon after and one gave up all it's marketing locations and farmed it out.

I later encountered parties from both that wouldn't hire me, when I was successfully managing another companies marketing for them. I worked in the timeshare industry at the time, which is pretty intreconnected so word gets around. Both realized they lost a great employee down the road.

Now I run my own business. I've either never encountered any discrimination in my new line of work, or never noticed, so I guess it's not that big of a deal.

Not to single Hatebreed out here but this goes back to what I said on page one: my tattoo artist won't do hands, faces, or feet for this very reason. He doesn't want his name on something that isn't going to hold up and those areas do not hold up well over time.

Find a good artist, discuss your plans, give him your ideas, revise it, talk about placement and long term and when you are statisfied have it done. Take your time...I often kick a new tattoo idea around for 2 years before I finally have it done.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:29:03 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Me too. Especially on their tits.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:27:13 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:32:16 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:
this guy might:

What a fag.

I don't regret mine.  I have chinese symbols that say "unleash the warrior within" in between my shoulder blades.  If I don't want to look at it...I don't have to.  

can you actually read chinese? I sure wouldn't take some artists word for it LOL
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:36:14 AM EDT
[#45]
nah I dont regret it at all. In fact I am planning on getting my newborn daughter's name on me this weekend
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:36:26 AM EDT
[#46]
No regrets for getting only regrets for not making more time to have more work done.

CH
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:37:49 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
this guy might:

What a fag.

can you actually read chinese? I sure wouldn't take some artists word for it LOL

We should get a pic of that and see if we can get our resident Chinese guy to interpret.

Yeah, I admit that I regret getting a tattoo. Sometimes I forget about it, but I might get it burned off someday.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:40:38 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
this guy might:

What a fag.

We should get a pic of that and see if we can get our resident Chinese guy to interpret.

Yeah, I admit that I regret getting a tattoo. Sometimes I forget about it, but I might get it burned off someday.

nothing like thinking it said "unleash the warrior within" when it really says xyings bitch or something worse    
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:16:47 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
this guy might:

What a fag.

+1
I have seen many mistakes, gibberish, random extract from a Chinese takeout menu, even a mirror image tattooed.
If you want I can read it for you.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:33:56 AM EDT
[#50]
dont regret mine at all! I looked a long time for something that looked good and made me feel good and I was pleased with the work my artist did. The only problem I have is that I want more and cant decide what and where and that the tattoo  place that did mine has gone out of business.

It hasnt and will never keep me from getting a job, it can only be seen in a low cut bathing suit.

Like most have said...its all about the artist and the design. If you get something meaningful and fine a great artist to do it you should never regret it.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top