Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/14/2006 7:11:56 AM EDT
I'm thinking of getting my first 1911 and thought a Lite Hawg would fit in well with my small collection.  I've heard some say small 1911s aren't reliable, while others said they had no problems.  Any insight would be appreciated.

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:15:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Get a commander size gun.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:40:47 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Get a commander size gun.

At least. Anything shorter can have problems. JMB designed it right the first time. It is not hard to carry a full size pistol with the proper belt and holster.

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:44:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Why not a full size, out of curiosity? Mine disappear under a t-shirt with a good holster.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:51:01 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Why not a full size, out of curiosity? Mine disappear under a t-shirt with a good holster.

+1
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:01:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Something else: Your shirt will do nothing but ride up on that funky curve thing at the bottom of the mag. It will drive you nuts. So at the very least, use a regular mag. If your not going to use it for carry, then I'd have to ask why you'd bother buying such a compact pistol, particuarly when it's such a departure from the original design.

Also, while the grip portion of the frame is indeed shorter, it's a double stack. Concealing a single stack gun is trivial, even with he slight increase in length.

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:08:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Kimber Ultra CDP owner. No probs ever.

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:13:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Warthog is the P10 size Para... I've shot one and it's a great little pistole.

Just make sure you handle one at the fun store first. Rent (if possible) and shoot one too - the recoil is different from other 1911 types, in this case mainly because your pinky finger isn't helping grip it.

If I had the cash at this point I'd get one of those Hawgs. Esp. with the light rail.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:13:43 AM EDT
[#8]
4" + barrel minimum

Single stack for carry. Buy quality the first time too. You will either do it NOW or later.

I saved my $ and got a wilson combat CQB compact.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:17:31 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Thanks for the replies.  I carry a PM9 sometimes, a USP 45f other times, both ends of the spectrum.  I was just looking for something in between and thought it would be a good excuse to finally get a 1911.  Sounds like a "larger" single stack 1911 would do just as well.  What would a good one with a rail that won't break the bank?  The choices are overwhelming
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:21:15 AM EDT
[#10]
If I had the money right now, I'd buy the stainless Warthog in a heartbeat.  

HH
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:20:47 AM EDT
[#11]
A Commander is a good compromise for carry.  The smaller guns have more than their share of problems, and the Para Ordnance guns have more than their share of problems.  Taken together, a compact Para isn't something I'd recommend.

I prefer an alloy frame for carry because its weight is noticeably more comfortable than steel framed 1911s.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 2:02:44 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
A Commander is a good compromise for carry.  The smaller guns have more than their share of problems, and the Para Ordnance guns have more than their share of problems.  Taken together, a compact Para isn't something I'd recommend.

I prefer an alloy frame for carry because its weight is noticeably more comfortable than steel framed 1911s.

So Paras should be avoided?  What would be the "Bushmaster" of 1911s then?  Good but not too expensive, Kimber?
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 2:09:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Kimber is quality but you don't get the staggered column high cap mag.

The Warthog comes standard with a lot of good stuff - beavertail safety and spiffy sights to name a couple.

Edit: Downside is that the high cap mags cost a lot. Price that out too. IMHO everyone should have at least 4 or 5 mags for each handgun.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 2:20:22 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Kimber is quality but you don't get the staggered column high cap mag.

The Warthog comes standard with a lot of good stuff - beavertail safety and spiffy sights to name a couple.

Edit: Downside is that the high cap mags cost a lot. Price that out too. IMHO everyone should have at least 4 or 5 mags for each handgun.

Kimber makes a staggered high cap gun. The Ten II model.

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 2:24:28 PM EDT
[#15]
The super compacts are prone to jamming due to "limp wristing".  You need to hold that sucker tight for them to cycle.  Something to consider.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:34:31 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So Paras should be avoided?  What would be the "Bushmaster" of 1911s then?  Good but not too expensive, Kimber?

Colt, S&W, Springfield, and Kimber, in that order.  The 4" guns, (Commander, SA Champion, Kimber Pro) are as small as I'd feel comfortable with.

If you get a 3.5" gun, you may get lucky and get a good one, but if you get a bad one, good luck getting it running.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:41:45 PM EDT
[#17]
I haven't had any problems with the Para P14 I have and neither has a good friend who has the Warthog. I actually had a ton of problems with SA loaded model 1911.It drove me NUTS! Reat sight shifted. Recoil screw worked out. I couldn't shoot my reloads in it to to a tight chamber. The damn front serrations gouged me on more than a couple occassions.

The SA, after some work, and runs good now just sits in my safe.

The Para is shot often.

My friend carries the WH ccw in Az, plus he shoots it regularly on his ranch and is happy with it.

I would buy one, but Glocks have my goat at this time
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:45:22 PM EDT
[#18]
I have 2 under 4 1/4 1911s. A SA Champion and a Colt Defender. All other 1911s are commander or 5" length. Only the Defender is reliable between the 2 shorter ones.
The warthog had a spotty record of reliability. Some worked, many others did not.
They are not good sellers, they tend to sit on the shelf a long time. Many parts are propriatary. There are better one's out there.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:32:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Hmm, 18 replies (19 including mine), only 2 people admit any first hand knowledge, 1 gives some good advice about possible limp wristing issues, 15 think you should buy what they use. Not a lot of help is it.

My GF is picking up her stainless Warthog saturday after work. I'll post a range report sunday.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:43:08 PM EDT
[#20]
I have a P14 and P10, the P10 is Fvckin ear peircing when it goes off (without hearing protection).

Both of mine work well but the P10 doesnt like aftermarket magazines.

Id say go for it as the P14 mags fit the p10.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:56:36 PM EDT
[#21]
i have carried a colt compact 1991A1 for about 10 years, and used it many times in combat matches and bowling pin shoots.  i have numerous trophies and prize certs from running the same gun i carry daily.  i have killed 2 deer with it.  one of them perished from 2 bullets about 1" apart fired from a stepped-off 30 paces, i drew from concealment, shoulder holster under jacket 200 gr. swc leadheads, and she dropped like a sack of ammo from the rounds in her lower chest.

it took a while to get her running properly.  several trips to the gunsmith.  

it's the best slabside i've ever owned now.  i the 1.5" of barrel length are not missed.  i like mine a lot.  took a while to get her dialed in, but once there, she's a real hoot to shoot.

she's minute of looter accurate!

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:05:45 PM EDT
[#22]
p.s.

i have a LOT of firearms.  30+ or more.  i have 3 other slabsides, 2 springfields, one other colt, several sigs, 3 wheelguns, and a bunch of rifles.  

this is my go-to pistol.  i paid about $375 for the gun, and another $1k on hand fitting barrel to bushing, polishing the throat, installing novak sights, videcki trigger, foregrip stippling, full length guide rod, buckhorn pimp grips and a selection of holsters... there's been other work done to it over the years, but i lose track after time... she's a pretty heavily worked over unit.  

i have just sent her off to a gunsmith on the other side of texas to be reblued.  i will try to make that my first post with pic, when she comes back.  i think i'll wow y'all.  we'll see.  if his other work i've seen is an indication of the work he'll do for me, i'm jazzed...

my take:

a custom pistol is a wonderful thing.  don't expect factory to perform flawlessly.  once you get the bugs ironed out of it, it's a wonderful weapon.  

i'd trust my life to it.  

FWIW.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 4:13:09 PM EDT
[#23]
The promised range report of my GF's stainless Warthog.

We took 2 boxes of 45 ball ammo. One was 185gr, the other 230. The ONLY malfunction we had was the first 2 full mags (of each mag) run through, the slide locked open with one round left in the mag. Not strictly speaking a FTF. No other malfs of any kind, and no more issues after the mags were loaded full and emptied from the third time on.

Accuracy at 7 yards was excellent. My GF had no problem keeping the shots inside 2"-6". She's not particlularly strong in the wrists, but that caused no problems with the gun. The white dot on black sights were very good, highly visible, and easy to align and bring to bear on target quickly.

The stainless model is a pretty hefty gun for the size. As such, I couldn't really tell a whole lot of difference in felt recoil between the 185 and 230 gr rounds. My GF said she could tell the difference quite a bit being not as strong.

She'll put more rounds through it before she makes it a carry gun, especially with hollow point ammo. But as far as my opinion, I'd give it an A.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 4:18:33 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
The promised range report of my GF's stainless Warthog.

We took 2 boxes of 45 ball ammo. One was 185gr, the other 230. The ONLY malfunction we had was the first 2 full mags (of each mag) run through, the slide locked open with one round left in the mag. Not strictly speaking a FTF. No other malfs of any kind, and no more issues after the mags were loaded full and emptied from the third time on.

Accuracy at 7 yards was excellent. My GF had no problem keeping the shots inside 2"-6". She's not particlularly strong in the wrists, but that caused no problems with the gun. The white dot on black sights were very good, highly visible, and easy to align and bring to bear on target quickly.

The stainless model is a pretty hefty gun for the size. As such, I couldn't really tell a whole lot of difference in felt recoil between the 185 and 230 gr rounds. My GF said she could tell the difference quite a bit being not as strong.

She'll put more rounds through it before she makes it a carry gun, especially with hollow point ammo. But as far as my opinion, I'd give it an A.

Thanks for the report.  I forgot to bump the thread when I added the poll so thanks for bumping it too
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top