Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/14/2006 6:54:45 AM EDT
I grew up using nitro solvent then gunoil.  Then the Marines taught me about CLP.

There are so many products on the market now and MANY of them are far advanced
when compared to what was available 25 years ago.  

I hear many names bandered around:  ED's RED, Butch's Bore Shine, GunScrubber, Hoppe's #9,
Sweets's 7.62, SLP 2000, etc

Which cleaners/solvents/lubes DON'T WORK GOOD together ?

Ever had a bad chemical reaction ?

If you have a safe combo please post it for everyone that works great PLEASE share it too =)

LB
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:16:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Dremel + any firearm usually results in damage.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:17:06 AM EDT
[#2]

Muratic acid cleans a little TOO good.  

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:18:31 AM EDT
[#3]
I've seen the warning that some gun cleaning solvents containing ammonia should not be left on nickeled surfaces.  You have to read the directions and labels, most gun cleaning solvents will warn you about adverse effects on finishes etc.

I've used MP7, which is a citric acid based cleaner that smells pretty nice, but doesn't clean as quick as my favorite Hoppe's #9.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:56:42 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I grew up using nitro solvent then gunoil.  Then the Marines taught me about CLP.

I hear many names bandered around:  ED's RED, Butch's Bore Shine, GunScrubber, Hoppe's #9,

If you have a safe combo please post it for everyone that works great PLEASE share it too =)

LB

I don't know why you want to combine solvents. I believe the manufacturers have already done the combining stuff so you don't have to.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:00:19 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Dremel + any firearm usually results in damage.

Ya ask Stealth about that one..

Muric acid. It removes bluing...
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 11:20:43 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

LB

I don't know why you want to combine solvents. I believe the manufacturers have already done the combining stuff so you don't have to.

I am not talking about mixing multiple solvents and using at once...

I mean using one solvent to help neutralize corrosive salts ( corrosive ammo & some primers ),  then another solvent for copper removal, etc.

mop, scrub and patch until dry...

then switch,  mop another type solvent and all of a sudden you have a chemical reaction...

anyone seen this happen with any particular solvents ?

LB
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 11:25:18 AM EDT
[#7]
I've been useing M-pro 7 on my firearms lately. Solvent and then the lube/cleaner.... works very well fast, easy and the action is smooth and consistant under sustained fire. It even works well on corrosive.

Hope that helps
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 11:28:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Most will just make a mess if they're mixed.  I have heard that mixing Miltech and CLP in an AR is a sure way to have jams/failures and that the combination is known for being a dust/sand magnet.  
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 11:45:45 AM EDT
[#9]
I met a guy who said he sprayed Gunscrubber on his Tripower and it turned the plastic white.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top