Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/13/2006 10:26:24 PM EDT
Mar. 13, 2006
3-year-old boy shoots mom in the knee
Associated Press

ST. PAUL, Minn. - A 3-year-old boy shot his mother in the knee with a 9mm handgun he had found under a couch cushion over the weekend, police said.

It was the second time the boy had handled the gun on Sunday. The mother had taken the gun away from the child and removed the bullets - apparently overlooking one in the chamber - and put the weapon back on the couch.

When the boy picked the gun up a second time, it fired. "It appears to be accidental," said St. Paul police spokesman Pete Crum.

The woman was taken to Regions Hospital, with non-life-threatening injuries. "It could have been much more tragic had the child shot himself or hit the woman in a more vital area," Crum said.

The boy was put in the care of his father.

Authorities removed several guns from the home. Crum said they were all legal.

Police said they would forward the case to the Ramsey County Attorney's office for possible child-endangerment charges.

"There are two lessons to learn: Don't let your children play with guns. Always treat a gun as though it's loaded," Crum said.

www.contracostatimes.com/mld/cctimes/news/14089913.htm
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 10:31:15 PM EDT
[#1]
What was the gun doing on the couch with a 3 yr old walking around?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 10:40:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 10:45:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Good aim for a 3-year-old.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:50:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Let this be a lesson to all the parents out there.
If your kid says he doesnt like broccoli, DONT FORCE HIM TO EAT IT!!! OR ELSE!!!
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:51:40 PM EDT
[#5]
geez, some people shouldn't be allowed to breed.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:58:38 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Let this be a lesson to all the parents out there.
If your kid says he doesnt like broccoli, DONT FORCE HIM TO EAT IT!!! OR ELSE!!!

And don't be late with that allowance, either!
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:59:07 PM EDT
[#7]

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 12:04:21 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Yeah, lets leave her MORE chances to excel.  
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 12:08:17 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The guns, despite being legal, were confiscated under the pretext of "safety." Gun Control legislation is always introduced under the pretext of "safety."

Get the picture?
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 12:19:22 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The guns, despite being legal, were confiscated under the pretext of "safety." Gun Control legislation is always introduced under the pretext of "safety."

Get the picture?

No,  I see nothing as to WHY they were confiscated.  The "safety" comment is a assumption on your part.  Mom's in the hospital, kid's somewhere else, it could easily be simple safekeeping.  Do you leave loaded guns lying around?
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 12:24:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 12:26:27 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I keep loaded guns around, I keep hot water in the hot wather heater, I keep the gas cooking stove ready to use, I keep gasoline and matches in my garage, I keep knives in my drawers, I keep lots of other useful items which could be misused.

I taught my daughter not to play with potentially dangerous items and taught her how to use them safely.

Go ahead hide these items from your children and tell them never to look at or touch them and see where they are drawn.

Come on. We are talking about keeping a loaded pistol in the frigging couch, even after the kid found it the first time. That takes a special kind of idiot to do that, and special idiots probably shouldn't have guns, kids, or the right to vote.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 2:13:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Yet one more case for manditory firearms training in school!!!

It pisses me to no end that this story will make the papers 100 times more than the three year old that choked on his Barney stuffed animal!!!
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 2:18:11 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I keep loaded guns around, I keep hot water in the hot wather heater, I keep the gas cooking stove ready to use, I keep gasoline and matches in my garage, I keep knives in my drawers, I keep lots of other useful items which could be misused.

I taught my daughter not to play with potentially dangerous items and taught her how to use them safely.

Go ahead hide these items from your children and tell them never to look at or touch them and see where they are drawn.

You taught her all this when she was only 3?  Ya, right.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:02:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Mom deserved it.

bitch
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:16:39 AM EDT
[#16]
BLAM!!  "I said, no crusts on my peanut butter sammich!"
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:18:10 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
BLAM!!  "I said, no crusts on my peanut butter sammich!"

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:23:30 AM EDT
[#18]
When my children were young, I kept loaded guns around the house, but way out of reach for their size, and on empty chamber with safety "on."
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:24:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Now that's got to hurt.  I bet she's thanking her lucky stars they went for the 9mm over the .45!

What an idiot.  I can't believe a mother would leave a gun lying around for her toddler to handle.  As for those were angry about the guns being removed that were legal - back off.  If the parents can't protect their kid with good safety practices then the state has an obligation to do so.  These parents have proven they are too irresponsible to have guns.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:31:47 AM EDT
[#20]
She'll hopefully never make that mistake again.

Unfortunately, it was probably a combination of the gun's fault and either Bush or Cheney...
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:41:10 AM EDT
[#21]
I wouldn't be surprised that the mom sues the gun manufacturer for making an "unsafe" product.  And the most "damaging" piece of evidence for the lawsuit is that "even a 3 year old" can shoot it.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:20:09 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Now that's got to hurt.  I bet she's thanking her lucky stars they went for the 9mm over the .45!

What an idiot.  I can't believe a mother would leave a gun lying around for her toddler to handle.  As for those were angry about the guns being removed that were legal - back off.  If the parents can't protect their kid with good safety practices then the state has an obligation to do so.  These parents have proven they are too irresponsible to have guns.

The state has an obligation to remove the CHILD from a dangerous home, not remove the dangers from the home.

Now do I think that they should have guns? NO, but that does not mean the .gov gets to do whatever they want under the pretense of "saftey".  

Charge the mother with felony negligence, convict her, and then take the guns away.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:25:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Stewie Griffin, was that you?
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:27:22 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Good aim for a 3-year-old.

He should have hit her in the head, to prevent her from breeding again.

How fucking stupid do you have to be?  PUT IT OUT OF HIS REACH.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:34:29 AM EDT
[#25]
Ban the children!  Do it for the mothers!
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:35:39 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Your more upset that the guns were removed then the fact that this stupid bitch kept a gun in the couch with a  3 year old running around ?
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:39:14 AM EDT
[#27]
Did the 9mm break the skin or just glance off?  The article doesn't say.  Shame the kiddo didn't aim a little higher and take out her babymaker...
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:52:31 AM EDT
[#28]
FACT: Three year old children are to young to be trusted to handle a weapon safely. END OF STORY!
FACT: This woman is to STUPID to be allowed to continue to own weapons.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:58:19 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your more upset that the guns were removed then the fact that this stupid bitch kept a gun in the couch with a  3 year old running around ?

Stolen is the correct word, and yes, I am also upset that the .gov is stealing guns from people.

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:04:09 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Stolen is the correct word, and yes, I am also upset that the .gov is stealing guns from people.

Interesting.  I'm not a bit upset that they took all the guns
from a home where the stupid cow of a mother couldn't
keep her loaded firearm out of the hands of a 3 year old TWICE...
in what I'm assueming is the same day...not that it matters....

She is as ill-qualified to have firearms as she is that child.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:05:02 AM EDT
[#31]
This is a story of not using common sense.

1. Children are stupid.
2. Keep dangerous objects away from them.

Chidren are curious and the boy was probably fiddling with it. That's why they make toys.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top