Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:56:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Naw, the air cushin and parachute ways will be the winner.

The air cushin dart would be the best for accuracy.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:11:03 PM EDT
[#2]
We had one of these contests at UM.  An a non engineer won.  The gearheads had no imagination.  They just said it wouldnt work and wouldnt even look at some concepts.  An art major of all things won the even.  They said no parachutes, no rockets, everything had to be passive.  No active engines or anything of that sort.  

An autogyro won.  I am sure the egg was scrambled pretty good but it spun its way down pretty slowly.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:14:20 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Naw, the air cushin and parachute ways will be the winner.

The air cushin dart would be the best for accuracy.

We used the bottom 1/3 of a 2 liter bottle for the vessel. Used a peice of cardboard folded back and forth like a z as a shock absorber. Anyway, the highest they could get was about three stories and it just floated to the ground everytime. ALways landed straight up and in tact.

CH
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:14:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Does the egg have to "free fall" for a prescribed distance? Are there any limitations on the size of the 'container' around the egg?

If not: Put a 10 meter PVC or other plastic pipe, with an inside diameter slightly larger than the O.D. of the egg, against the side of a building. Cap the bottom end. Fill it with water. Place egg in upper end, let it "drop" inside the pipe; the water rushing around the sides of the egg will keep it from reaching 'splat' velocity!
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:18:38 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Put the egg in a small box and stuff it with cotton balls. Attach as many partialy inflated (to give it more bounce when it lands) balloons as you can to the outside of it. If allowed fill the balloons with helium to help slow the descent.

FYI the formula for the "lift" of helium is close to 1 cubic foot of helium per ounce of weight, at sea level, at 75 degrees Farenheit. Close enuf for govvermint work anyway.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:39:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Here's what I did at that age.  The egg never broke, even after kicking the apparatus all the way home.  Get a large solid block of styrofoam (say 1' x 1').  Cut it in half.  Make a half-egg-sized cavity in each half.  Be very careful carving out the egg shape.  It should be as uniform as possible so the egg is uniformly supported (with no movement) when the two halves are re-joined.  Put the egg in the cavity and tightly tape the halves together (use a lot of tape).

This should be fine by itself, but for a little extra insurance, wrap the whole thing in a sleeping bag.  
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:46:33 PM EDT
[#7]
stay with the pepsi bottle, fill with spray foam, let dry a minute or two, insert egg spray some more. Seal up bottle. Wrap bottle in bubble wrap unitl its 18' across. Make a parachute that deploys instantly upon the drop.

pretty sure that will work
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:46:36 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I went through this with my Son a few years ago .
All that I did was explain the physics involved and he
came up with the idea of large massvolume , low weight .

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:11:25 PM EDT
[#9]
My daughter was the only girl in her class whose egg did not break. take a pillow,fold in half, put egg in center and sew around the three open ends.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:13:09 PM EDT
[#10]
I did this in 8th grade I think, I knew mine wasn't going to work so I made sure it hit the teacher

He was an ass.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:14:28 PM EDT
[#11]
by the way, we were allowed only 3 pieces to make it with(pillow,it's stuffing,thread)
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:23:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Here's what I did:

-find a large cardboard box in the trash
-go to the local store and buy 48 rolls of toilet paper... and some hot sauce
-stuff box with unrolled toilet paper, throw egg in middle
-tape box closed
-test by dropping from top of parking garage
-get questioned by security
-leave quickly before police are called

BTW, the hot sauce is only used to get strange looks from the cashier
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:29:52 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
My son embedded his egg in a one-cubic-foot brick of red jello.  The egg broke, but it was spectacular.

That post made me laugh out loud... thanks.

In engineering, back in college, we did this from 5 stories. The guy that won took a Pringles can, and suspended the egg inside w/ rubber-bands and some cloth. On the bottom of the Pringles can was 1/2 of a tennis ball. On the top of the can was a paper plate with flaps cut in it to make it spin.

I shook his hand... it was dead accurate and even if you pushed it down, it didn’t' seem to break the egg.
For 5 feet, however, I would drop it into water... it's the easiest way.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:49:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Rubber ban suspension rig in side a jar filled with the heavyist oil you can find.
know make it so that the Jar doent break.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 10:37:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Plan #1: Take one Coffee can, fillit with layers of carpet foam (cut it to accomadate the egg and have most of the layers on the bottom), make a parachute out of plastic sheeting and string, attach the parachute to the top, and let er go.

Plan #2: Take a clear plastic tube approx. 10 meters long alittle bigger in diameter than the egg, cap one end, fill with approx 24" water, drop the egg into it.

All else fails, do the egg drop soup method mentioned earlier.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:07:28 PM EDT
[#16]
I inserted my egg into a nerf basketball, and suspended that inside of a beach ball by vinyl tubing. I opened up the beach ball and resealed it with vinyl repair glue and inflated it. We kept increasing the height until only one egg was left, and I won. Mine dropped from 120' high before breaking. No one else came close, at least in my class.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:41:13 PM EDT
[#17]
I put my egg inside a plastic bag full of heavy dish washing detergent.  

Think extremely thick oil.

if you can keep the egg in the middle of the bag, it won't break.   around that, was styrofoam peanuts, then the box.

If I remember right, it didnt break........ Made a HELL of a mess, with the dish soap all over, but eggbert lived to tell the tale
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 1:25:01 AM EDT
[#18]
I used a styrofoam box (some kind of electronic device package).  Partially filled ballons in both halves to act as suspension with the egg in the middle.  Duct tape shell around the box.  Bounced pretty good when dropped but the egg stayed in 1 piece.  
Our's was simply a drop test, no accuracy test or limits on materials (parachutes, etc might not have been allowed...it's been close to 25 years ago).
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 2:16:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Suspend egg in Knox Unflavored Gelatin inside a large margarine tub.
Surround tub with at least 3" of fiberfil or any sort of springy pillow fill.
Put into a cardboard box.

Weight is your enemy.  Do not over tape.  Use regular box sealing tape...not duct tape.

The key is to spread out the forces of the impact over time and space.  The gelatin will not transfer the shock wave to the egg all that well.  The fiberfil will allow the tub/gel/egg until to decelerate gently inside the box.

I did it for my kids.  Seventy feet was no problem.  We won.  Stopped at that height.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:35:56 AM EDT
[#20]
I appreciate all the ideas.  It seems my son is in on the challenge too.  The kids are taking their projects to a local competition this morning.

MY daughter took her pepsi bottle and filled the bottom half with oatmeal, added the egg and filled the remaining 1/2, 1/2 full of oatmeal.  She dropped it from the top of the garage and the egg didn't break so she's going with this method.

My son took the egg cartons we had and cut them into individual triangles and layered a coffee can with these and secured his egg in one of the triangles and then filled the remainder of the can with triangles.   His egg didn't break either.

So we'll see.  We didn't have a lot of materials to work with on such short notice [which I think was done purposely]  My son William who lives to eat really liked the jello idea but felt his egg would have even less chance of survival since he would probably just eat the jello.

I'll let you know how it goes.  I wish I could be there to watch!

Patty
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top