Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/13/2006 1:32:01 PM EDT
Okay my computer is beginning to frustrate me. I've had it for one year now, and lately it's been running like crap. I'll be surfing the internet and get a "Internet explorer need to close because of error" and it'll list the file thats messing it up, I'll find the file and try to delete it, sometimes it won't let me. Other times IE will just close with no warning. It's also been running sluggish, too.

So today I went to walmart and bought the McAfee securitycenter that has the firewall, virus scanner, spamblocker, etc etc. I do a virus scan and 30 minutes later when it's on 70,000 files it pops up a message saying "McAfee has to close because of HTML error" wtf. So all that was a waste of time.

What do you guys think I have? I've been thinking about just clearing out the whole computer, but I don't think I could find an MS XP and MS office disk, and considering it says MS office is 300 bucks on MS site, I don't think that'll be happening soon.

So what do you guys suggest? Try and run another virus scan? Is there anything else I need to do?

Thanks, in advance.

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 1:33:34 PM EDT
Wait, you didn't get copies of your OS and applications on CD when you purchased your computer?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 1:40:21 PM EDT
Just an FYI. If you computer is having problems with a file, deleting that file will generally not fix the problem but will probably make it worse.

Best bet would probably just be to do a reinstall. Your system won't be 'virgin'. All of your existing environment will stay intact unless you reformat the drive.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 1:59:08 PM EDT
Thanks guys. My buddy built my computer and used his own disc on it, so thats why I don't have my own stuff. It sucks. I appreciate the help. Anyone have any good suggestions for antivurs?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 2:03:41 PM EDT
Trend micro

free and the best
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:21:33 PM EDT
Go to microsoft update , and update your browser files , you are probably missing a file . this item should be on your programs menue.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:38:57 PM EDT
you dont have a virus you just need to update your browser files .
Top Top