Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/13/2006 11:22:46 AM EDT
I have a Mossberg 500 and a 28" barrel from it never used and was wondering since I'm not going to use it how much money could I get for it. I see Cabela's sells it for 129$. The barrel is in 100% condition.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:29:58 AM EDT
[#1]
I bought a used one for $50 from the gun store.

You're better off keeping it. I have four different barrels for my 500, but I usually keep the 18" on it.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:33:43 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I bought a used one for $50 from the gun store.

You're better off keeping it. I have four different barrels for my 500, but I usually keep the 18" on it.

Well the barrel isn't "used" would I be able to tap the inside of the barrel so I could put chokes in it?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:43:37 AM EDT
[#3]
You probably could, but I'm not so sure it would be worth it. I have one barrel with a factory Polychoke on it, and it's my least favorite barrel. I bought a 28" full-choke barrel which I used when I shot league trap (yeah, I used my Mossy!), and it worked MUCH better than the polychoke.

I also have a 24" slug barrel with rifle sights, and an 18" cylinder bore with the metal handguard.

<spelling>
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:48:18 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Well the barrel isn't "used" would I be able to tap the inside of the barrel so I could put chokes in it?

If it's one of the old fixed modified choke 28" bbls, it has little to no resale value. Most of the Mossbergs made since the mid 80's have had screw interchangeable chokes (Accu-Chokes).
Getting the barrel set up for screw-in chokes will cost you almost as much as getting a new accu-choke barrel.
Used barrels are cheap at Gun Parts Corp,BTW: www.e-gunparts.com

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 1:04:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Sell it on ebay, I'll bet you get at least 50 bucks if not more.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:40:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Choke installation should run $70-$100 for the factory style chokes. Most competent gunsmiths can do it. Like mentioned before though you may be able to find a new barrel that already has choke tubes for not much more than that and might be able to get a few bucks out of the old barrel to offset the cost.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top