Page / 3
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 1:38:32 PM EDT
[#1]
no matter what you own or are worth, PRENUP
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 1:40:41 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Well what is the total price tag on lawyers and legal fees now?

Just tallied it up:  $669,015.08

Holy.  Fucking.  Shit.  That is all.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 1:49:35 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Rodent, once you're free of her, write a book and see if you can sell it to recoup your losses. It would be poetic justice if her crazy antics helped make you a lot of money.

Or sell it as a screen play to hollweird.  They might make a movie of your life!  
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 2:01:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Wow!  I'm really shocked.  I just paid my lawyer.  $1500.  That's it.  Of course, if it gets nasty the cost goes up.  And my MIL is already slingging mud.  My lawyer must be one in a million.  She said it wouldn't be right to go for child support and alimony.  All I'm getting is the family car.  And we all get to stay in our house.  Just wow!
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 2:02:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Couldn't you file countersuit for harrassment and false charges? She must be insane to keep after it like that.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 2:12:45 PM EDT
[#6]
I feel for ya rodent
I'll leave the joke about your job out of it though
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 2:28:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Rodent,
  There is an ages old axiom that goes "Love is Grand, Divorce is twenty grand".

However, that doesnt seem to apply in your situation. Congrats on getting the lawyer bills up to date, not always the easiest thing to do regardless of your income level.

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 2:34:53 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Curiosity is getting the better of me, and I'm dying to know where almost three quarters of a million dollars went, and why. Can you summarize each of the trials? I'm seriously very curious, and I'm hoping you don't mind if I'm asking for something too personal.

That's only MY legal bill, not hers. If you feel like wading through the legalese, here's a link to one of our trials that went all the way to the state supreme court:

http://www.nh.gov/judiciary/supreme/opinions/2003/rhode036.htm

Quoted:
Are you free once the youngest turns 18, or does she have her hooks into you through college?

My final stipulation says I'm free when they're all 18 and out of high school, but she took me back to court on that and won, so I'm still paying for my 19- and 21-year-olds as well as the 17. The trial that's coming up next deals with that issue again, among other things.  

After the hearing, the master denied the petitioner’s motion for contempt but increased the respondent’s support obligation from $3,300 per month to $3,800 per month based upon the court’s calculation of child support under the statutory guidelines.

Holy effen sh!t. That's almost double what I make in a month. Sounds like statutory RAPE to me.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 2:38:26 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How old is your youngest?

17. Haven't heard from her since she was 13. Her two older sisters have re-established contact and come around nicely, though.

Wait wait...YOU'VE ACTUALLY REPRODUCED????????????

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 2:40:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Yet another reason I'll NEVER get married.   My parents are a great example of how a marriage should be but I've seen too many end this way and there's just no way its worth it!!
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 2:42:29 PM EDT
[#11]
I just can't understand this.

You are such a sweet and lovable guy.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 2:52:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Damn brother my 1st wife left my son at my Moms, then took the Dog and the car and left.

All I got stuck with was $16K in late bills.

Your a good man if that happened to me I would probably be in jail for murder.

Good luck, dont worry karma will be paying your exwife a visit soon.

FREE
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 2:55:22 PM EDT
[#13]
How much better can a day get? I finish paying off the lawyer, my GF made me a celebratory dinner (her signature "Bambi, Beans & Bourbon stew), and I just opened my mail: My mortgage payment went DOWN $300.  

(How much is that in M193?)  
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 3:00:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Instead of posting it on ARFCOM, wirte a book about the whole thing, including trials and the system, etc. Make good money doing that. Saying how it is the biggest case in the country... etc.. etc.. hype stuff.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 3:02:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Marriage is the Leading cause of divorce.....

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 3:04:20 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
My mortgage payment went DOWN $300.  

Variable rate or escrow snafu? Sometimes this happens and people get huge tax bills at the end of the year.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 3:05:26 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
... wirte a book about the whole thing, including trials and the system, etc. Make good money doing that. Saying how it is the biggest case in the country... etc.. etc.. hype stuff.

I can't begin to describe how heartily tired I am of even thinking about this stuff. There's a reporter doing an expose on family law, and I've offered him access to all my files.

In the meantime, there are two law schools that study our case - they even show up to observe our trials, and I get occassional phone calls and emails from both students and lawyers asking questions about it.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 3:06:52 PM EDT
[#18]
If any girl ever ask you why you want a prenup, just ask her how she would feel if someone kidnapped her kids, burned down the house, stole the car, and cleaned her out a cool half million.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 3:11:14 PM EDT
[#19]
I FILED FOR DEV BACK IN SEPT STILL HAVE NOT FINISHED THE ONLY THING THAT WE HAVE AGREED ON IS $1400.00 A MONTH IN CHILD SUPPORT AND I GET TO KEEP MY HOUSE
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 3:17:55 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
How much better can a day get? I finish paying off the lawyer, my GF made me a celebratory dinner (her signature "Bambi, Beans & Bourbon stew), and I just opened my mail: My mortgage payment went DOWN $300.  

Your ex will know about that tomorrow and use it to justify an increease of $300 a month to her.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 3:19:09 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Damn .. Ya got me beat .

Unfortunately for me , you only beat me by about $5000 .

Of course that's not counting that the house I gave her has
appreciated about $200K since I signed it over  
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 3:19:52 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your ex will know about that tomorrow and use it to justify an increease of $300 a month to her.

He's got a point...Lock and trash the thread, Rodent.

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 3:20:06 PM EDT
[#23]
While divorce may suck the big one, glad everything's okay Rodent.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 3:20:16 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Just dropped off the last check. It's taken me 13 years to pay off the legal bill from my divorce. (Okay, I still have to pay back the $150,000 from refinancing the house and $80,000 borrowed from my 401K. And, of course, there's already another trial in the works - but, hey, it's still a huge milestone   )

Venison and port tonight to celebrate  

It never really ends, does it?

Congrats on the milestoine Rodent.

This will be trial # TWENTY. I've been the defendant for every one of them. If  you'd told me all those years ago that this was going to happen, I wouldn't have believed it was even possible.

Even more good news: The (female) judge that we've had for 16 of our 19 trials, who never gives me a break, just retired.

How do you think lawyers and judges get their beach houses?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 3:21:44 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Damn .. Ya got me beat .

$669,015.08 wasn't my property settlement. It's my legal bill.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 3:21:55 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Holy.  Fucking.  Shit.  That is all.

I'll second that
I was just too stunned when I first read it to log in and type it.
WOW!
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 3:26:11 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

He's got a point...Lock and trash the thread, Rodent.

She's already asking for an increase in child support, and for child support to continue as long as the kids are in college. She's also asking for a court order for me to sell the house I'm building with the proceeds to be used for "all college expenses without limit". And of course she's thrown in the obligatory request for the court to find me in contempt, with punitive damages awarded to her.

I don't think she'll win any of it, and with our usual female judge now retired, I'm hopeful that my child support will end altogether and my "sentence" will finally be over.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 3:38:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Out of curiosity, how long had you known this woman before you married her?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 3:38:40 PM EDT
[#29]
You just need to move way the hell away from her so she doesn't know what you're doing.  Sounds like she knows when you have something good going for you so she gets her attack lawyer to try and destroy it.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 3:45:31 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
You just need to move way the hell away from her so she doesn't know what you're doing.  Sounds like she knows when you have something good going for you so she gets her attack lawyer to try and destroy it.

She recently divorced her second husband, and she and our youngest daughter both changed their cell phone numbers and moved to a new house. She instructed my two older daughters not to tell me where or give me their new numbers.  

(I'm sure it would be easy to find out both, but why bother? I have no desire to intrude on her fantasy world.)

Quoted:
Out of curiosity, how long had you known this woman before you married her?

Two years, in college. Got married right after, waaaay too young.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 3:46:35 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Damn .. Ya got me beat .

OK .. You win

I guess I got off easy with legal fees , but then there was nothing to fight
about since I walked away with literally nothing more then the
clothes on my back .
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 3:54:12 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

GEEZZZZ,

Wouldn't it have been easier to loose? Or are you just in it for the fight?

Sorry... I just read the whole thread... I think I would have just disappeared

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:00:07 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

GEEZZZZ,

Wouldn't it have been easier to loose?

Which trial would it have been "easier to lose"? The ones where I was accused of threatening her, or breaking into her house and stealing things? The one where I was accused of molesting my daughter?

Quoted:

Or are you just in it for the fight?

As I've already posted, I've been the defendant for all 19 trials. They don't give you a choice about attending.  
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:55:50 PM EDT
[#34]
I applaude you Rodent as I have never been worthy of such ass renderending as you have had!

Though not ever makeing as much money as you ,I too have had my ass reamed (just in less sums)but still it is all relavent to what you have to loose!!

I lost it all,and the kitchen sink also!!

But I have managed to come back now ,at sixty I have a chance to try and put something back for retirement!  I have two years to put money back(pay off all credit cards)and get ready to live on 200 dollars a week!

My house is paid for and I have decided to put 200 dollars of my pay into the bank account,the rest into savings,just to prepare for living on 200 dollars a week!

Course I'm till going to roof,plumb,and do whatever I can to stay active(make what I can)but I think you may have made too much money!

The more money you make the more you have to hide!!

Bob
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:22:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Was filing for bankruptcy protection and moving to a far off land, while retaining your job ever an option?
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 2:17:57 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Was filing for bankruptcy protection and moving to a far off land, while retaining your job ever an option?

I got to the point where I was talking to a bankruptcy lawyer, but the bottom line is that there are no loopholes. Everything you can think of to evade your ex have been tried and closed. If you pauperize yourself, at the very least they'll attach your remaining assets and take your driver's licence.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 2:47:54 AM EDT
[#37]
WITH A NAME PREV ADRRESS OR PHONE # I CAN TELL YOU ANYTHING YOU WANT TO KNOW ABOUT ANYONE ie WHERE THEY LIVE/WORK/PHONE #/CRIMINAL/ASSETS/BANK ACCOUNTS
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 2:52:11 AM EDT
[#38]
couldnt find a decent photo to illustrate my point, but yI think you'll get the message

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 3:01:31 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
couldnt find a decent photo to illustrate my point, but yI think you'll get the message

www.circuitcity.com/IMAGE/product/detail/eido/VC.8868200159.H.JPG

I'm probably the most even-tempered guy you ever met, and yet I used to lay awake nights and plan how to do it.

Here's one of the problems with being an ARFCOM-type: Her lawyer's first move was to request a restraining order because I'm an evil former Marine who owns night vision and assault weapons and suppressors and enjoys killing animals. It's quite an experience to sit in court and listen to testimony about how dreadful and dangerous you are.  
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:09:27 AM EDT
[#40]
Holy crap.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:27:11 AM EDT
[#41]
Good luck to you.

It seems that for every guy who had an easy divorce, there are 10 who went through a lot of BS and paid a small fortune in attorney fees.

It's no wonder my divorced friends are so jaded. They never have anything good to say about marriage. But some of them have never been happier. They paid a lot of money, but now they are free and they are getting pie left and right. They say they will never marry again. I can't say I blame them.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:28:32 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
no matter what you own or are worth, PRENUP

My wife and I made a vebal prenup: Niether one of us leaves the marriage unless it's in a body bag.  So far it's worked.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:33:30 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Damn .. Ya got me beat .

If you don't mind me asking...  What line of work are you in?  I'm in my mid-30's and my lifetime income total is a little shy of your legal bills alone.

Kent
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:37:54 AM EDT
[#44]
Rodent,

have you ever considered moving some of your liquid assets to off-shore accounts (untraceable)? Also, have you ever considered suing her for harrassment and defamation?
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:41:16 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
My final stipulation says I'm free when they're all 18 and out of high school, but she took me back to court on that and won, so I'm still paying for my 19- and 21-year-olds as well as the 17. The trial that's coming up next deals with that issue again, among other things.  

How the hell did the judge decide that you are still financially responssible past 18?

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:58:08 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.circuitcity.com/IMAGE/product/detail/eido/VC.8868200159.H.JPG

I'm probably the most even-tempered guy you ever met, and yet I used to lay awake nights and plan how to do it.

Here's one of the problems with being an ARFCOM-type: Her lawyer's first move was to request a restraining order because I'm an evil former Marine who owns night vision and assault weapons and suppressors and enjoys killing animals. It's quite an experience to sit in court and listen to testimony about how dreadful and dangerous you are.  

<wiping tear from eye> Musta been a mighty proud moment for you!
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:09:17 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

for  $669,015.08 you get a wife, 3 kids and a lot of court time and melon swellen (headeache).
OR
for  $669,015.08 You could have gotton ALOT of hookers and blow, and the melon swellen would have been self induced

I'll take option "B" , thanx for the reiteration for teh reason NOT to get married!

BTW, if we all sent 5 bux to you would that help? I'm game for 5 bux
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:11:13 AM EDT
[#48]
I imagine it's been hashed out before but what do you do for a living to afford to pay that kind of legal bill?

I can't imagine the total cost of this failed marriage with everything included.

I don't imagine there are any plans to EVER get married again.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:15:15 AM EDT
[#49]
Holy Shiite bro, that's some pretty serious cash.  

If I'm not mistaken, a conviction on many of those charges could have been a career ender for you?
That biotch is damned lucky that you are so level headed.

Isn't there any way to charge her with harassment or something?

Glad that you are beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel.  (hope it's not a train )
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:17:56 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
My wife and I made a vebal prenup: Niether one of us leaves the marriage unless it's in a body bag.  So far it's worked.

You may want to supplement your agreement with a pre-dug grave out in the woods somewhere

Quoted:
Rodent,

have you ever considered moving some of your liquid assets to off-shore accounts (untraceable)? Also, have you ever considered suing her for harrassment and defamation?

Yes.

Quoted:
How the hell did the judge decide that you are still financially responssible past 18?

All it takes is the stroke of a pen.

Quoted:
what do you do for a living to afford to pay that kind of legal bill?

Retired Marine officer and airline pilot who made some good investments and built up a lot of sweat equity rebuilding houses.

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top