Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/13/2006 9:07:47 AM EDT
So what is the prefered method? RRA NM upper? I use a bore snake and Clp on my standard AR's. My hunting rifles get the same. I have a varmint rifle that I use Butches Bore Shine with patches preceeded by Hoppes and brushes on a coated rod. I just bought a Tipton graphite rod. Seems like it should do the trick..

I also posted this in the Competition forum.. Just want to get a good cross section of methods used by you folks..

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:09:37 AM EDT
I shoot a Glock and an AK. My guns don't need to be cleaned.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:15:10 AM EDT
I dump mine in lakes when they need to be cleaned.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:15:20 AM EDT

Originally Posted By thelastgunslinger:
I shoot a Glock and an AK. My guns don't need to be cleaned.

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:17:08 AM EDT
Whats a cleaning routine?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:26:43 AM EDT
I start at the range before I get home. I have a 3 piece rod I use to run a couple of patches with Hoppes thru and get most of the crap out. Then I soak one more and run it thru to let it work on the barrel till I get home. I have to break mine down to use the case, so I stuff a foam ear plug in the barrel and one in the chamber to keep solvent from leaking out.

When I get home I clamp the barrel in my bench and repeat the Hoppes drill till theres no more carbon. Then I run dry patches thru to remove the Hoppes and repeat the drill with Sweets 7.62 until the barrels clean. While the Sweets is working, I clean the lower, the bolt, etc.

I got one of the plastic tubes to run into the chamber. It has a solvent port you can squirt the Sweets into as the patch is inserted. Really cuts down on the mess.

I'll run one more patch with Hoppes down the barrel and a dry patch the next day, followed by one with CLP.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:31:19 AM EDT
I generally start by washing my hair and work my way down from there, no baths only showers here.

Mike
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:33:55 AM EDT
Otis. CLP. 15 minutes max
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:37:30 AM EDT
Bore guide,. carbon rod. Hoppes BR and followed by a CLP treatment. I get all the copper out.

I never spend more than 15 minutes cleaning the bolt/carrier etc. Dirt doesn't cause problems for me in these areas but in the bore, a little copper means much more.

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:47:37 AM EDT

Originally Posted By fight4yourrights:
Otis. CLP. 15 minutes max

+1

Except with Militec.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:52:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/13/2006 9:53:29 AM EDT by Admiral_Crunch]
A lot less often than I should.

About every three range trips.

And I've had a touch of rust on my car gun for a month, and I still haven't gotten around to cleaning it.

I'm so damn meticulous and slow, it takes me an hour to clean two rifles. That's why I hate doing it so much.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:53:56 AM EDT
Balls first then the pits...

oh....wait...
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:54:35 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Zippy_The_Wonderdog:

oh....wait...

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:04:47 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Zippy_The_Wonderdog:

oh....wait...

hmmmmm, I shower top-down.