Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/13/2006 6:16:25 AM EDT
If so how do you conceal it? Its all I have and I can't afford a smaller weapon. I have a fanny pack and I hate it. I don't carry a purse and do not want to start.

Patty
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:17:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/13/2006 6:20:24 AM EDT by GUNGUY1911]
Strong side IWB in a Milt Sparks VMII! Not sure how that would work with curves though?
ETA: If you wear larger shirts, a Desantis belly band type holster may be an option for carry.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:18:42 AM EDT

Originally Posted By GUNGUY1911:
Strong side IWB in a Milt Sparks VMII!

Which means?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:18:51 AM EDT
Shit! A 1911 is easier to conceal than a Glock.

+1 on the IWB holster.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:18:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/13/2006 6:19:31 AM EDT by fight4yourrights]
Everyday. Kimber Pro CDP II - shorter barrel, full length grip

Strong side belt holster, overshirt covering.

Women need special equipment for proper carrying

I didn't like the IWB - in the waistband - holsters
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:19:39 AM EDT

Originally Posted By pattymcn:

Which means?

Google "milt sparks", sizzle chest!
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:20:23 AM EDT

Which means?

Milt Sparks Versa Max II Inside Waist Band holster.

I carry a 1911 myself, but I either use a galco shoulder rig, or a bianchi accumold paddle holster - depending on what I am wearing.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:21:41 AM EDT
This holster…

http://www.bianchi-intl.com/product/Prod.php?TxtModelID=100

Seems to work pretty good for me. But I’m a rather wide bodied man. Don’t know how it will work for you.

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:22:24 AM EDT

Which means?

Inside the Waist Band carry. Not sure how comfortable it would be with a womans curves. maybe with a decent forward cant and a shield at the hammer, grip safety area.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:23:07 AM EDT

If so how do you conceal it? Its all I have and I can't afford a smaller weapon. I have a fanny pack and I hate it. I don't carry a purse and do not want to start.

Patty

Well, I guess I'm even dumber since I carry my S&W 29. Probably 2/3 of the year here I have at least a vest on to keep my old arthritic bones warm and that covers the shoulder holster. The hottest part of the summer it goes in the fanny pack.

I guess it's all in your perception. I wish I could afford a 1911 so I would have something smaller to pack around.........................

NMSight
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:23:32 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Rocky9_5:

Which means?

Inside the Waist Band carry. Not sure how comfortable it would be with a womans curves. maybe with a decent forward cant and a shield at the hammer, grip safety area.

The VMII has such a shield, but I too wonder whether the curves may affect comfort?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:24:33 AM EDT
ABSOLUTELY!!!! I like to use an IWB holster for my full size Kimber. I'm thinking the same think would work for you although you may need to go closer to the small of back area to componsate for the womanly hips you have. And I mean that with the utmost respect.
The only time this comes as a sort of hinderance is sitting in my truck and then it is only uncomfortable. I usually have on an unbuttoned/untucked work shirt and it looks fine ( you know how some of us men are, we don't care what we look like ) and conceals the gun very well. No printing or bulges.
Good luck.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:25:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/13/2006 6:27:20 AM EDT by MK4Mod0]
I carry mine in a Yaqui slide type holster, Mine is a High Noon Holsters product...I usually wear a vest in summer time to cover it up.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:25:45 AM EDT

SA full size 1911, strong side, with a Fist Inc #20 adjustable IWB in Kydex. Damn near the perfect holser, as far as I'm concerned. I love it.

www.fist-inc.com/holsters/holster/20.htm

Mine's like that, but made of Kydex. It's very thin, but sturdy as hell. Reholstering is effortless.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:26:48 AM EDT
I believe Safariland makes a "female spacer" for their 518/5181 line of holsters. The 518 is a paddle holster, but it can be ordered with belt loops instead of paddle. It has a thumbsnap retention that allows for Condition 1 carry, and also a tension screw adjustment. I also thing Bianchi has a female tailored line of holsters, but am not totally positive on that.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:26:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/13/2006 6:35:07 AM EDT by macman37]
I don't carry a full size 1911. But if I were I'd ensure I was wearing a fleece or something loose over it.

I know the ladies like to wear tighter fitting stuff - and that's great - but CCWing any piece is going to require some adjustments to your wardrobe. Also since you're female, dudes will be checking you out more so you need to ensure you're not printing even more than a guy does. That's just my opinion, but take it for what you will.

(Cue the guys who inevitably say "I am 5'1" 105lbs and I wear a tight t-shirt CCWing a full size 1911 and nobody's ever seen me print" - I am 6'4" 235lbs and carry a smaller 1911 and still occasionally worry about printing [edit: I carry a Para Ord P12 IWB 9 o'clock in a modified De Santis clip-on holster, with a spare mag at about 7 o'clock]. Thank God the "button-down short-sleeve untucked shirt" trend seems to be fairly transcendant of fashion trends. )
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:27:23 AM EDT
I carry mine in a Ross Inside the Waistband Holster at the small of my back. I carry a 4 in Springfield. Its pretty comfortable.

You need a good carry belt. That is the key.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:27:40 AM EDT
I carry mine in a Ted Blocker IWB with a clip to attach it to the belt and the thumb strap. The clip is strong enough to hold the holster on pants without a belt. I feel better with the thumb strap between the hammer and frame. 1911's should be carried cocked and locked.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:29:31 AM EDT
I carry a Kimber Pro Carry II in a Milt Sparks Versa Max II. Even conceals it with tighter fitting t-shirts in the summer.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:31:42 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:37:02 AM EDT
Periodically I carry my Kimber .45 in a Galco Silhouette if I'm wearing my jacket.

Great holster.

HH
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:38:56 AM EDT
Thanks. I'll check these out. They're rather expensive. Do you just leave your shirt untucked?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:42:15 AM EDT
a 1911 is one of the best options for CCW and it is all I have and will carry for CCW (although I carry compact). It's thin profile from the single column mag minimizes printing. Go with the IWB and you're fine.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:43:34 AM EDT
I carry my Lt.Wt. loaded S/A 5" in a Leather Arsenal suprise special. It is a knockoff of Sparks Summer Special, i have had it since '88. I keep it over my kidney, with a untucked shirt.
Hey Patty ! How YOU doing ?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:44:11 AM EDT
I carry a compact 1911 but I find my fullsize 1911 conceals at least as well as my G19. IWB behind my right hip.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:46:20 AM EDT

Originally Posted By coondog:
ABSOLUTELY!!!! I like to use an IWB holster for my full size Kimber. I'm thinking the same think would work for you although you may need to go closer to the small of back area to componsate for the womanly hips you have. And I mean that with the utmost respect.
The only time this comes as a sort of hinderance is sitting in my truck and then it is only uncomfortable. I usually have on an unbuttoned/untucked work shirt and it looks fine ( you know how some of us men are, we don't care what we look like ) and conceals the gun very well. No printing or bulges.
Good luck.

no offense taken!
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:46:26 AM EDT
IWB for sure. Under a good-sized T-shirt works nicely. Contrary to popular opinion amongst some folks, 1911's are pretty good for concealment due to the grip being narrower than the more modern designs (Glock, etc), which use double-stack mags. I'd definitely consider getting some of those McCormick (I think) slim carry grips if I were female and/or very concerned with having the absolute best concealment. I suppose I could have my girlfriend try my IWB holster out tonight just so I can get an idea . But seriously, women typically do well with shoulder rigs because women are already used to wearing bras. My girlfriend says wearing a shoulder rig is like wearing a second bra, she was wearing a shoulder rig as part of her halloween costume. A shoulder rig would work for your application in the winter in situations where you won't have to remove a coat. Oh, and also, a lot of women who have big hips tend to prefer the crossdraw.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:47:02 AM EDT

Originally Posted By bigthicket:
I carry my Lt.Wt. loaded S/A 5" in a Leather Arsenal suprise special. It is a knockoff of Sparks Summer Special, i have had it since '88. I keep it over my kidney, with a untucked shirt.
Hey Patty ! How YOU doing ?

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:47:41 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:47:45 AM EDT

in a shoulder holster.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:52:33 AM EDT

Originally Posted By bulldog1967:
photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=35441

in a shoulder holster.

Oh Damn, that' nice! Alloy frame??
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:53:28 AM EDT

Originally Posted By macman37:
(Cue the guys who inevitably say "I am 5'1" 105lbs and I wear a tight t-shirt CCWing a full size 1911 and nobody's ever seen me print" - I am 6'4" 235lbs and carry a smaller 1911 and still occasionally worry about printing. Thank God the "button-down short-sleeve untucked shirt" trend seems to be fairly transcendant of fashion trends. )

Hee hee.

Here's how I see look at it:

To me, the concealability of a 1911 doesn't really depend on whether or not it's a full size. It's a narrow gun, and the barrel ends up in your pants. Regardless of how long your gun is, the only part that is of concern is the grip, when carrying IWB. 1911's are actually pretty easy to hide in this regard, since the grip in a single stack is pretty narrow.

Even while obviously printing, most people don't know it's a gun. Sometimes when I'm bored, I like to see just how much I can get away with. It's pretty amazing to see how much I can print without being noticed.

That said, there's no way in hell to COMPLETELY hide a 1911 while wearing a tight shirt and jeans. You're going to print, and it's going to be pretty obvious that something's there. I'm 5'11 180lbs, and I have to wear a pretty large t-shirt to guarantee 100% concealment (meaning, even my gun buddies who carry can't see it, even while trying).

Really, all that I try to do is obuscate the pattern. The barrel doesn't print through jeans - even really tight ones. Really, tight jeans just make wearing the pistol very uncomfortable. Untucked t-shirts have a tendency to ride up on the grip, so remembering to casually pull your shirt down after sitting down or bending over is important. Like you, I wear an unbuttoned overshirt. The combination of a t-shirt and loose overshirt obfuscating the grip is more than sufficient. It's okay of there's a slight bulge there. It just can't look like a pistol.

As long as the gun pattern is broken up, nobody will ever know. Still, it's not hard to completely conceal a 1911 100%. The critical areas (like the grip) are actualy pretty narrow and easy to hide. If I wore baggy clothing, it'd be a no brainer.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:04:32 AM EDT
I don't have a decent belt, so carrying on my waist doesnt work well for me...need to pony up the cash for a couple belts.

However, two things work for me, so far:

I have a Galco Miami Classic shoulder rig..works great. Not exactily a fast draw with a shirt on (I usually wear button-down chamois or other warm and fuzzy shirts), but it's still pretty easy to get to..and you can always get to it, sitting, driving, standing, etc. You won't need to really adjust it so it doesn't dig into you when you sit down or anything. 5.11 makes a "button-down" shirt that actually has velcro in it, allowing you to button it all the way up and rip the velcro open to get at it, if you ever need to. Me, I just button my overshirt up to about mid-chest normally anyway, so I'm still good to go with it.

Only caveat is..you need to be wearing something over it to help hide it; a vest, a warm and fuzzy button-down shirt, whatever. Yes, the rig is expensive ($100+), but you only ever need to buy one, and IMO, it's money well spent if you want to go for a shoulder rig and make like you're 007.

This is with a full-size 5" Gov't Model Series 70 under my left arm, and 2 8 round mags in the mag carrier under my right arm. It gets a little weighty but it's not bad.

So long as I'm not gyrating or doing something else equally twisting movement-intense, no one knows I'm carrying, even if they're looking for it.

The other thing...I also have a shorty Kimber Ultra Raptor.

That sucker disappears in a coat pocket. Same with my Sig 228, in a winter coat....can't see it; it doesn't print. It's not exactily "secure" as like it would be in a holster, but it's still available and ready should the need ever arise.

You might see if you can get a local leather worker or other tailor-type person to sew or whatever inside your coats, a built-in holster. It might not help you much if you have to take the coat off, but it'll work pretty well for wandering around town and not printing. There are several leather places out there that custom-make coats and jackets just for carry, with holsters built into them and all. Again, probably a bit expensive..but you only ever have to buy one of 'em.

Just my $0.02

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:11:06 AM EDT
Kimber CDP II compact with thin grips in an IWB holster. I'm not a big person and the thin grips really help. I usually wear a somewhat tight undershirt tucked in and a bigger untucked t-shirt or sweatshirt over that.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:11:47 AM EDT
Government size 1911 at 4 o'clock. It disappears on me.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:12:11 AM EDT
Kimber Custom II (full size 45) at the 4 o'clock position.

I don't wear a holster for CC at all. I wear a tucked in t-shirt with a shirt over that. You don't want the gun against bare skin - it will rust it. With a belt, the weapon stays perfectly secure, easy to get to, and basically unnoticable.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:16:35 AM EDT

If so how do you conceal it?
Patty

6'5" 190lbs.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:18:12 AM EDT
I would argue that the 1911 is the easiets of all the full size pistols to carry concealed. Barely an inch and a quarter at it's widest! YMMV but seems that an IWB rig is the way to go!
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:19:55 AM EDT

Patty

IWB.

The 1911's thin profile makes it ideal for stuffing down your pants. Find a good IWB holster (I use one from Blade-Tech) and it works like a charm. I can conceal it in shorts and a tshirt.

Fanny pack carry of a 1911 will never be pleasant. Too heavy for that.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:20:36 AM EDT

Originally Posted By SubnetMask:

(Cue the guys who inevitably say "I am 5'1" 105lbs and I wear a tight t-shirt CCWing a full size 1911 and nobody's ever seen me print" - I am 6'4" 235lbs and carry a smaller 1911 and still occasionally worry about printing. Thank God the "button-down short-sleeve untucked shirt" trend seems to be fairly transcendant of fashion trends. )

Hee hee.

Here's how I see look at it:

To me, the concealability of a 1911 doesn't really depend on whether or not it's a full size. It's a narrow gun, and the barrel ends up in your pants. Regardless of how long your gun is, the only part that is of concern is the grip, when carrying IWB. 1911's are actually pretty easy to hide in this regard, since the grip in a single stack is pretty narrow.

Even while obviously printing, most people don't know it's a gun. Sometimes when I'm bored, I like to see just how much I can get away with. It's pretty amazing to see how much I can print without being noticed.

That said, there's no way in hell to COMPLETELY hide a 1911 while wearing a tight shirt and jeans. You're going to print, and it's going to be pretty obvious that something's there. I'm 5'11 180lbs, and I have to wear a pretty large t-shirt to guarantee 100% concealment (meaning, even my gun buddies who carry can't see it, even while trying).

Really, all that I try to do is obuscate the pattern. The barrel doesn't print through jeans - even really tight ones. Really, tight jeans just make wearing the pistol very uncomfortable. Untucked t-shirts have a tendency to ride up on the grip, so remembering to casually pull your shirt down after sitting down or bending over is important. Like you, I wear an unbuttoned overshirt. The combination of a t-shirt and loose overshirt obfuscating the grip is more than sufficient. It's okay of there's a slight bulge there. It just can't look like a pistol.

As long as the gun pattern is broken up, nobody will ever know. Still, it's not hard to completely conceal a 1911 100%. The critical areas (like the grip) are actualy pretty narrow and easy to hide. If I wore baggy clothing, it'd be a no brainer.

Excellent breakdown. Keep it covered and even if someone notices you can say it's a cell phone or something.

I just love reading the posts from the guys who claim to wear tighter clothing though. Come on.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:21:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/13/2006 7:24:49 AM EDT by John_Wayne777]

Thanks. I'll check these out. They're rather expensive. Do you just leave your shirt untucked?

Yup. Unless you are into wearing halter tops and stuff, loose fitting t-shirts and oxford style shirts can conceal a full sized 1911 with no problem. Dark plain colors conceal better than lighter colors. A XXL Blackwater T-shirt is usually sufficient to conceal a 1911 effectively for me. If you have a 3 sided mirror, try out different clothing styles to see what works best for you.

A concealment vest from Concealed Carry Clothiers might be a good idea too....
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:22:22 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:23:10 AM EDT

Excellent breakdown. Keep it covered and even if someone notices you can say it's a cell phone or something.

I just love reading the posts from the guys who claim to wear tighter clothing though. Come on.

I wear a unitard and knee high multi-colored socks.

You got a problem with that????
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:32:48 AM EDT

Originally Posted By John_Wayne777:

Yup. Unless you are into wearing halter tops and stuff, loose fitting t-shirts and oxford style shirts can conceal a full sized 1911 with no problem. Dark plain colors conceal better than lighter colors. A XXL Blackwater T-shirt is usually sufficient to conceal a 1911 effectively for me. If you have a 3 sided mirror, try out different clothing styles to see what works best for you.

In the summer I rarely wear a shirt but I just open carry unless I'm going to Portland and then I wear something appropriate. I do not wear a belt typically. I have a small waist and big hips.

What does "Printing" mean?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:33:41 AM EDT

in a shoulder holster.

No,

Norinco Steel after EGW Gunworks finished with it.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:35:32 AM EDT

In the summer I rarely wear a shirt but I just open carry unless I'm going to Portland and then I wear something appropriate. I do not wear a belt typically. I have a small waist and big hips.

The outline of your pistol showing through your covering garnment.

When the wrong type of clothing is worn, you can tell that someone is packing heat even though the gun is "covered".
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:35:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/13/2006 7:36:05 AM EDT by bulldog1967]

hips.

When you can see the outline of the gun through your shirt.

or, if it is really cold out....
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:36:29 AM EDT

in a shoulder holster.

+1 Mine isn't so pretty but I like it. My husband carries a .380 in his pocket. I've been trying to get him to trade for years but he likes his .380. I looked up how much a new one would run and figured I'd stay with my .45.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:37:30 AM EDT

Originally Posted By John_Wayne777:

Printing is when the outline of the grips shows through, telling everyone you have a concealed pistol.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:43:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/13/2006 7:47:50 AM EDT by Alien]
I used to carry a TRP Operator in a VM2. I went back to a USP Compact in 9mm. Much lighter! I realize that many will say the TRP Operator is heavy because of the thicker/longer dust cover, but it's not that much heavier than a standard 1911. The 1911 is a superb gun and that is no lie, but I think the extra slenderness is overrated. It is still heavier than almost any modern polymer framed double stack. You can't go wrong with one that is for sure, but if you are going to carry one you might as well carry a full size.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:44:44 AM EDT
Really loud printed shirts are nice for CCW. The pattern breaks up the outline of the weapon.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top