Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/13/2006 5:08:08 AM EDT
i can't say that i will notice they are gone.  it sounds sad as they are an American icon.  they make a fine bolt action rifle that is almost as good as a Remington and a lever action almost as strong as a Marlin.  their Speed Pump is about as good as the Mossberg but almost 1/3 more expensive.  it's sad that a part of American history is gone but i guess they did it to themselves.  
i owned a Speed Pump for a while until it was stolen.  i replaced it with an 870 police trade in and have glanced back wanting another 1300 but the mossy’s are so cheep and I get the same thing.  

The lever guns are their signature weapon but they never did it for me.  Why get a top eject weapon and a funky scope when you can get a side eject marlin with a normal scope and irons?  Marlin also came up with new rounds like the 444 and the 450 to take advantage of the new metallurgy.  

I guess I would have liked to have had a 44Mag Winchester lever gun because I have a lot of 44 pistols and it would be cool to have a carbine that matches but I can’t see buying one now.  

It’s kind of sad that a company that has done so much during the winning of the west will go out this way.  
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:12:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes, they will be missed.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:12:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Who?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:13:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:13:41 AM EDT
[#4]
I bet they will be back up and running overseas before next year makeing the 1300, 70, and 94.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:17:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Wow, see my post in this thread.... spooky!

Will that shiny new .44 be more or less the next time I see it in the dealers rack?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:17:55 AM EDT
[#6]
I for one will miss them. My I love my model 70 and model 94. I admit my Marlin Guide Gun is a better built/more refined lever action, but personally I think Winchester's lever guns just plain look so good that they more or less make up for it.

Even if we didn't like their products (I'm not one of those people), we should still be disheartened at Winchester's disappearance. Winchester was probably THE biggest, most recognizable name in the history of the American gun industry, and it is sad to see it go regardless of what kinds of products they are turning out today. If the big brand name gun makers can disappear, that makes it all the easier for the smaller ones to go Tango Uniform.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:19:02 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Will parts suddenly start drying up?

Will the value of Winchester brand firearms go up now? Wanna buy my Winchester 1300 Defender? It's no longer made you know!...$1000.00

The only things I really miss from Winchester is the M1 Garand and M14.

funny you should mention that.
i have seen model 70s for 1000 and 1300s for 400
makes me want to yell at the guy that it's a 500.00 rifle and a 200.00 shotgun when it was new!
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:22:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Couple hundred employees will be out of work. No they didn't make anything uber tactical. My Win Super X was a damn good shotgun. Will the prices go up on remaining Winchesters? Probably. Maybe someone else will license the Winchester name and start making the guns again or maybe not. Hate to see them go.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:24:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Well, I just bought a '94.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:24:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Every quality American gun manufacturer should be missed when it goes under. Its not like we have that many of them, after all.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:30:56 AM EDT
[#11]
I miss my 73.  But I can open the safe, take it out, and play with it.

Uberti sure makes good Winchesters.  I'm pretty sure they still do.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:41:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Winchester was an "also ran" with no innovation and poor market research. They tried hard to avoid the gun-banning bureaucracy and ended up avoiding the gun-buying public too. They will not be missed.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:03:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:12:50 AM EDT
[#14]
My model '94 is unimpressive.  I wouldn't buy another.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:12:53 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Uberti sure makes good Winchesters.  I'm pretty sure they still do.

BTW/FYI: Beretta now owns Uberti
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:15:02 AM EDT
[#16]

Why get a top eject weapon and a funky scope when you can get a side eject marlin with a normal scope and irons? Marlin also came up with new rounds like the 444 and the 450 to take advantage of the new metallurgy.

Winchester's later 94's feature angle eject & were drilled & tapped for top scope mounts, so no Marlin advantage. And 94's are (were) available in .444 & .450. They even made calibers like .307 & .356 (close to .308 & .358 ballistics), which Marlin made some guns for.

The 94 is a little slimmer & handier through the receiver & forearm, so I prefer it over the Marlin. But both are good rifles.

They are more than adequate for most deer hunting but these days the gun rags are full of magnum calibers with moon scopes so everyone thinks that's what they need. I only recently started using a 30/30, they're really handy, light, and comfortable, and good enough out to 150 yds or so. But it's just not what the market wants.

Oh well, I got mine.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:24:49 AM EDT
[#17]
I'll miss them.  I prefer their Modern Classics bolt guns to Remington.  It's about time they brought back the pre-64 bolt.  Too bad it was too late.  

I've not had enough experience with the Marlin lever guns to compare but my Model 94 30-30 has killed a lot lof deer.  I'd like to own a Winchester .44 mag and a Marlin guide gun.

It's pretty messed up when any Rifle manufacturer goes under.  I hope they are bought out by someone who gives a shit about building nice rifles and turns it all around.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:29:08 AM EDT
[#18]
They will be back. FN is shutting them down for a while to get rid of the current union.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:29:14 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Will parts suddenly start drying up?

Will the value of Winchester brand firearms go up now? Wanna buy my Winchester 1300 Defender? It's no longer made you know!...$1000.00

The value has gone up quite a bit, on Gunbroker at least. I had 2 94's in 45 Colt, decided to list one on GB just to see, I ended up getting more than $700 out of it, I paid about $275 for the same gun about a year ago.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:29:33 AM EDT
[#20]
The Winchester name is too well known to die off. Someone will buy the name and set up shop in a different state.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:31:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Winchester is closing down? I never heard this! Will they at least produce their ammo. I really like it and  it's cheap and good quality.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:46:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Winchester ammo is a different company and will continue.

Even some of the less desirable firearms will continue.

Arc
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:47:25 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Winchester is closing down? I never heard this! Will they at least produce their ammo. I really like it and  it's cheap and good quality.

Ammo will go on, unchanged.

FN is already building Model 70's and selling them as their tactical whatever.

The Model 70 is my favorite hunting action and it will be missed.

I hope the new ones that will ultimately be made come from SC and not Japan.

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:50:11 AM EDT
[#24]
I won't miss them. The only rifle they made that I want are the Old West ones and I can buy a nicer clone.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:57:07 AM EDT
[#25]
Sheesh! i thought a "94 was a required item, doesn't every shooter have one?...I would have to agree with Cal Rutstrum, Ya can play around with all the other fancy magnums & other rifles but for handyness ya keep coming back to the good 'ol 30-30....(I havn't come back yet, kinda like the AR-10 carbine for deer so far...)
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:59:30 AM EDT
[#26]
Winchester died over 40 years ago.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:23:42 AM EDT
[#27]
I will miss them.  I have a modern 70 LEFT HAND .338 I really like and a 70 LEFT HAND action I bought from a fellow compition shooter I hope to build up some day.  I grew up around Winchesters and like the feel better than Remingon.

Mrs. Honey and I have a one-gun-a-year agreement.  When the son graduated from HS we bought him a stainless 70.  Turns out it was the only year they produced the stainless in LEFT HAND for the masses and I missed it.  All the LEFT HAND stainless after that came out of the custom shop for $$$  Too much for me.  Now too late for me.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:34:42 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
They will be back. FN is shutting them down for a while to get rid of the current union.

As much as I am for unions, when I worked at USRA, there was some great old timmers there but also alot of dead wood that needed to go. Hopefully they will be up & running again.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:38:03 AM EDT
[#29]
Winchester will be back as soon as someone licences the trademark.

There's not a thing wrong with the Model 70 except they need to watch the quality; it's easily the equal of the Model 700.

The Model 94 needs to be manufactured as God intended, with steel parts, wood stocks, and none of those damn safeties.  If they would stop the lever flop, my guess is that the sale of Marlins would fall by half, maybe more.

No one will ever miss a modern shotgun made by Winchester, there are too many alternatives.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 10:25:21 AM EDT
[#30]
  When they come back they need to make forged reciever M1 Garand ,M1 carbine  AND M-14 semi-auto and try to pitch full auto to .mil & .gov.

They should make and market a FN-FAL Variant US made.

.. Maybe they should try marketing to shooters that fire more than one box of "shells" a year.

..Make sure they are in a right to work state with no union.

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:08:59 AM EDT
[#31]
They won't be missed by me, except in a general sad way that the demise of any US firearms company would evoke.

The only Winchester gun I owned (an M1917 Enfield) is no longer in my collection.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:14:35 AM EDT
[#32]
Don't really care, they never made any thing that appealed to me, and the competitive marked culled the weak.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 12:26:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Not missed by me. They never had anything I wanted. Bolt/lever guns, bah.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 12:47:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Hopefully the people that have bought the bankrupt Ithaca will buy Winchester too.

Sad when our American gun companies are owned by foreigners with no respect for history.
I wonder if AWA would buy it.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 12:57:38 PM EDT
[#35]
I called Browning's customer service department and the message now says they are Browning and Winchester Arms.  Did Browning buy the trademark?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 1:08:24 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I called Browning's customer service department and the message now says they are Browning and Winchester Arms.  Did Browning buy the trademark?

Naw...  IIRC they were owned by the same company for years: FN
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 1:32:52 PM EDT
[#37]
I think it's sad whenever we lose a firearms manufacturer.

I always intended to pick up a Model 70 Classic in .270 just because, but never got around to it - doubt I'll have much trouble finding one of those, though.

-53Vortec
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 1:50:44 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Winchester will be back as soon as someone licences the trademark.

There's not a thing wrong with the Model 70 except they need to watch the quality; it's easily the equal of the Model 700.

The Model 94 needs to be manufactured as God intended, with steel parts, wood stocks, and none of those damn safeties.  If they would stop the lever flop, my guess is that the sale of Marlins would fall by half, maybe more.

No one will ever miss a modern shotgun made by Winchester, there are too many alternatives.

Ditto on the dropping of the gey side safety.  100 year old design needed to be made safer?  Come on, the safety problem was and has always been between the ears.  Maybe they'll all be made in China, seems to be the trend  Sad but would probably serve us right.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:18:27 PM EDT
[#39]
probably not too much..... the only winchester I ever really liked was the 94... I have my grandpas 30-30, every time I look at it I think "what a sexy looking gun! " its a 1940s era.. back in the good old days. But since they changed they just dont measure up.
I would love to get a 357 mag to go with my pistol
jim
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:20:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Hope they don't let the door hit em in the ass on the way out.

BYE BYE SEE YOU LATER  
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:24:55 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Pretty much sums up my thoughts on the subject.

(And I don't really mind owning a couple of Springfield Garands, actually)
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:31:32 PM EDT
[#42]
I'll miss them, however read the following with a grain of salt.

They would have survived if they had not done exactly what Colt did.  They didn't do anything new for anyone.  The only reason Colt is still in business is because of their government contracts.  Winchester doesn't have any of those.  Neithor of them are doing anything new, only making small improvements driven by other people's innovations or needs of the big contract purchasers.  Colt would have never come up with the M4 if the military had not wanted a shorter barreled rifle with a flat top.  They wouldn't have cared to try it unless they KNEW it would make profit.  Winchester never did it because they didn't have someone writing it down and promising lots of $ if the suceeded.  Colt only got it right because the military basically told them what they wanted.  You can't get that from the civilian consumers, not on paper, in writing, with the parameters set in stone.  The last gun that Colt came up with, that was new and exciting, for the civilian market, was the peacemaker or detective special.  That was a long ass time ago.  

Sorry for the soapbox.....like I said....I'll miss Winchester.  Let this be a lesson to all the rest of the American gun makers.....
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:40:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Marlin makes a better lever gun. I will not personally miss them, but the name WINCHESTER is an American legend.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:52:45 PM EDT
[#44]
For those that Missed it January

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10913125/

Traditional Winchester rifles to be discontinued
End of the line for 'The Gun that Won the West' when Conn. plant closes

Updated: 6:52 p.m. ET Jan. 18, 2006
NEW HAVEN, Conn. - The traditional Winchester rifles carried by pioneers, movie stars and Wild West lawmen will be discontinued in March, a Belgian manufacturer said Wednesday, confirming the end of an American icon that became known as "The Gun that Won the West."

Once the U.S. Repeating Arms plant closes March 31, the only new rifles carrying the famous Winchester name will be the modern, high-end models produced in Belgium, Japan and Portugal. The older models, including the famous Winchester Model 94, will be scrapped.

"The name will continue, but not with those traditional products," said Robert Sauvage, a spokesman for the Herstal Group, the Belgian company that owns U.S. Repeating Arms and the right to the Winchester name.

Story continues below ↓
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
advertisement

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Herstal announced Tuesday that the U.S. Repeating Arms factory in New Haven would soon close, capping 140 years of Winchester manufacturing in the city.

"Economically speaking, we cannot continue. We have lost a lot of money," Sauvage said.

More than 19,000 Winchester employees worked in New Haven during World War II, but after years of a softening firearms market, the plant now employs fewer than 200. All will lose their jobs when the plant closes.

Officials and union leaders said they hoped someone would buy the plant and continue building the traditional rifles, but the Winchester name wouldn't necessarily come with the factory. Such an arrangement would need to be worked out separately.

Missouri-based Olin Corp. owns the Winchester brand name. In the late 1970s, after a massive strike by its machinists, Olin sold the plant to U.S. Repeating Arms along with the right to use the Winchester name until next year.

Sauvage said the Herstal Group wants to extend that right past 2007 but Olin has not decided whether to allow it. Spokeswoman Ann Pipkin said Olin is disappointed with Herstal's decision to close the plant and may sell the Winchester naming rights to someone else.

"The legendary Winchester name, we want it to be on a great-quality firearm," she said.

The Winchester model 1873 lever action rifle, popular among American frontiersmen at the end of the 19th century for its reliability, inspired the 1950 James Stewart film "Winchester '73."

John Wayne made the Winchester a signature of his movies and Chuck Connors posed menacingly with his Winchester on advertisements for the television series "The Rifleman."

President Teddy Roosevelt was also a Winchester devotee, using the 1895 model on his famous 1909 African safari, which historians credited with boosting the sale of Winchester sporting rifles.

While collectors were drawn to Winchester's many commemorative or special-edition rifles, sportsmen often still hunt with rifles that are generations old, a longevity that historian R.L. Wilson said became both the hallmark of the Winchester brand and part of its demise.

"It's not unusual in my work, I'll talk to someone, they'll say, 'I've got my rifle that belonged to my grandfather. I'm still using it,'" Wilson said. "These things get recycled as long as you keep a gun clean and you look after it."

Sauvage said Herstal is proud to have manufactured Winchester rifles for so long. He said he thinks customers will continue buying the new line of weapons, which can be produced quickly and for less money, because Belgium, like America, has a reputation for quality manufacturing.

Others say it won't be the same.

"It would be like Chevrolet going out of business or Chevrolet being made in Japan or China," firearms historian Ned Schwing said. "Winchester is an American legend, whether you're a gun person or not."

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:55:20 PM EDT
[#45]
While I never had much desire to purchase one of their guns, I like many others think it's sad when we have one less gun manufacturer.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:06:52 PM EDT
[#46]
How much more do you think they will be worth once they quit makeing them?

Just don't try and buy one now,cause the price will be through the roof!!

I own many Winchesters,and Older Remingtons they were the benchmarks at there time!!

I still love the way they are made (along with My Brownings)they will command more money later than they do now!!!

Bob
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:12:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Yes!!

I had to sell my Winchester Model 70 .308 carbine a few months ago to pay some bills.  I will eternally regret it, that was one of the best rifles I've ever had.  It weighed just over 6 pounds, shot 1 MOA all day long with hunting (Federal 165gr. Sierra Gameking), and was beautiful.

My Dad has a Model 94 "Antique" model (gold saddle ring, gold loading ramp, case hardened receiver) that I will NEVER sell after I inherit it.  Killed my first deer with it and I'd rather starve than sell it.

I will miss Winchester and I can't figure out why they are planning to discontinue their fine rifles and are going to keep making those shitty shotguns.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:22:21 PM EDT
[#48]
Yes.

The winchester model 70 was the best bolt action rifle on the market in my opinion, and now I am going to have to settle for an inferior Remington rifle for my new elk rifle I am putting together.  I cant find a model 70 in the caliber I want.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:31:12 PM EDT
[#49]
kinda sad they are gonna be gone but i will not miss them
I don't own anything from them excep[t for a old 190 22 semi
Model 70s and 94s never appealed to me and the 1300  is a POS IMO
( send them back for warrenty 10to1 comapred to a 870 500 or BPS)

My gut( with absouelty nothing to back it ) feeling is they will turn up as S&Ws at least the 1300s and the 70 tacticals  as S&W has said they are hell bent on getting into the longgun market again

but thats just my hairbrained theory
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:32:36 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
I hope they will be back up and running overseas before next year makeing the 1300, 70, and 94.

I wish they could make it here in the US but I do not think they will.
The machinery was worn out and they could not afford to re-tool.

I think the Model 70 is the best looking bolt action ever! (but it is hard to beat a Remington 700)

I will miss them and will continue to buy Winchesters when I have the chance.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top