Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/12/2006 4:52:57 PM EDT
My gym membership just finished up and Im considering not rejoining. I have been looking at a good mountain bike $400+range since we have lots of riding available and alot of my new coworkers at a outdoor store are hardcore bikers so they would show me the ropes. I did the bmx thing for awhile with dirtjumping and then realized that a 6'2" guy on a tiny ass bike seemed wierd. Anyways I realize I would have to do some weight lifting(have set at home as well as nice punching bag and other good workout stuff) but I really would like to ditch 10lbs of fat or so and really bring out the 6pack I used to have. So what would you do? My gym membership comes out to about $360/yr so I would basically have the bike paid for in a year or so but cant always ride it year round. I would also consider riding to work which would save on gas since I drive a Xterra.

So bike yeh or neh? and also for any bikers looking what is my best option for bikes in the 400-500 range. Would love disk brakes and at least front suspension. A trail bike and maybe a little off road mountain stuff but nothing hardcore.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:55:44 PM EDT
gym...... keep up wit yor sad self.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:56:56 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:01:11 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 82ndAbn:
I love bike riding. A couple of Summers ago, I was doing 20-30 miles a day, three times a week. I know I wouldn't have had the same discipline to go to the gym as often. I guess it has to do with being outdoors and having a change in scenery each time. I sure do miss my bike. I had a Cannondale F300. Great bike! You could get the same model for the price you're looking to spend.

Thats kinda what I thought too. The difference between the 2 is motivation. Being in the outdoors and having the ability to go out or routine and off road and do different things is there. If you look at Matthew Mchonigha or whatever his name is he only does outdoor stuff and he is in awesome shape. He said to in his Mens health interview that he cant sit in a gym because its so boring and if your bored your not motivated.

Il check into that bike and see what I can find. That about size? Im 6'2" and 190lbs. I know thats almost impossible to judge by but its a start
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:03:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/12/2006 5:03:45 PM EDT by bastiat]
MRSA - Methicillin Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus

Get a bike. Avoid gyms.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:03:57 PM EDT
Neither.
Start running. It is addictive.
And relatively inexpensive.
Spend the money on practice ammo.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:05:13 PM EDT
I do both. Have a Trek 4300 that I love to ride and go to the gym on base.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:05:23 PM EDT
Both, it's the ARFCOM way
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:23:43 PM EDT

Originally Posted By RSF45:
Both, it's the ARFCOM way

Yes and unfortunatley it has been my way also. I am on a college budget so its one or the other since I already spend way to much money....
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:23:51 PM EDT
Just buy a bunch of equipment and work out at home.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:24:36 PM EDT
Bike.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:26:29 PM EDT

Originally Posted By stretch415:
My gym membership just finished up and Im considering not rejoining. I have been looking at a good mountain bike $400+range since we have lots of riding available and alot of my new coworkers at a outdoor store are hardcore bikers so they would show me the ropes. I did the bmx thing for awhile with dirtjumping and then realized that a 6'2" guy on a tiny ass bike seemed wierd. Anyways I realize I would have to do some weight lifting(have set at home as well as nice punching bag and other good workout stuff) but I really would like to ditch 10lbs of fat or so and really bring out the 6pack I used to have. So what would you do? My gym membership comes out to about $360/yr so I would basically have the bike paid for in a year or so but cant always ride it year round. I would also consider riding to work which would save on gas since I drive a Xterra.

So bike yeh or neh? and also for any bikers looking what is my best option for bikes in the 400-500 range. Would love disk brakes and at least front suspension. A trail bike and maybe a little off road mountain stuff but nothing hardcore.

that was ten years ago. I am 44 years old now and have a dedicated 26" dirt jumper. Get sum!
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:28:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/12/2006 5:28:33 PM EDT by JFP]

Originally Posted By wes15a2:
Neither.

running can be hard on the knees after a while where as biking can help eliminate knee issues...
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:30:25 PM EDT

Originally Posted By JFP:

Originally Posted By wes15a2:
Neither.

running can be hard on the knees after a while where as biking can help eliminate knee issues...

Or if you broke your ankle 5 years ago and never really recovered...
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:32:44 PM EDT
Well theres the flesh eating bacteria at the gym and there's the chance of splitting your face open on a rock with the bike, so why not a get bow flex or something?
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:35:46 PM EDT
home gym=dedicated space in my tiny ass apartment.=not so good
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:35:56 PM EDT
I woulod do the gym and then buy a cheap mountain bike....
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:36:49 PM EDT
Gym during the winter, bike during the summer. Build up some muscle mass during the winter, get some cardio during the summer. Personally, I despise doing cardio in a gym. Boring.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:36:50 PM EDT
Have space for a bench and a free weight set?
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:46:40 PM EDT
You can probably pick up a desent use bike on ebay for $100 and than renew your gym membership. I like varity in my training gets boring doing the same thing all the time.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:48:11 PM EDT

Originally Posted By NME:
Have space for a bench and a free weight set?

Not a bench. I do have a big balance ball and freeweights which I use. Keeps all musles engaged and seems to take up not alot of space.

I also have the bag and pull up bar in my garage.

The bike would be my cardio and I would have to settle for the rest of my home gym stuff. Or go and do everything at the gym and have nothing to show(in terms of me owning new things)for it
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:51:05 PM EDT
Running, Push-ups, Sit-ups, Crunches, Squats, Leg Lifts, etc... are all basically free! Check out CrossFit for ideas (some events require equipment/objects, others don't).

But, if biking is your "thing," get the bike.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:08:55 PM EDT
thinking something like this.....Right around $400 and pretty pimp
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:16:00 PM EDT

Get the bike!
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:16:16 PM EDT
Get the bike. Going to the gym is fine....but when the weather is nice out, what would you rather do......waste your time at the gym, or get out on your bike and get some excercise that way?
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:45:20 PM EDT
tag
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:59:59 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:17:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/12/2006 7:21:37 PM EDT by niceguymr]
I recently found myself in a similar situation, but fortunately, I was able to have both. The gym is great for strength trainin, but booooring for cardiovascular/endurance training. I hate treadmills/stationary bikes b/c they make me feel like a laboratory rat on one of those wheels. Running/biking is meant to be done in motion. A gym will also offer you many options you cant really achieve on a home gym. So my suggestion is to keep the gym and save for a bike.

As far as a good bike for around $500? The Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc is probably the best bike you'll get, and it's right at your price range... It's an 'aggressive' all terrain, hardtail bike built like a tank, perfect for offroad trails, and some light mountain use. Good components and disc brakes just like you want.

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:20:51 PM EDT
GET THE BIKE!!!

Go to a decent bike shop, explain what you're looking for, your price range, and he should be able to set you up with something decent. 400 bucks wont get you much. Anything with disc brakes and all of the other fancy trappings in that price range will be a piece of crap. Rather, get a good hardtail with decent equipment. And be sure to get clipless pedals and shoes. It will cost any extra 200 bucks or so, but it will make all the difference in the world.

I work at a bike shop and sell a lot of bikes to people just like you. My reccommendations would be a:

Giant Yukon $400

Giant Rincon $400
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:31:00 PM EDT

but I really would like to ditch 10lbs of fat or so and really bring out the 6pack I used to have. So what would you do?

Cut out all desserts, cut out all candy, cut out all deep fried foods, cut out all foods high in fat, cut out all alcoholic beverages, drink only water, eat less than 1100 calories a day, work out 5 days a week.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:33:44 PM EDT

Originally Posted By niceguymr:
I recently found myself in a similar situation, but fortunately, I was able to have both. The gym is great for strength trainin, but booooring for cardiovascular/endurance training. I hate treadmills/stationary bikes b/c they make me feel like a laboratory rat on one of those wheels. Running/biking is meant to be done in motion. A gym will also offer you many options you cant really achieve on a home gym. So my suggestion is to keep the gym and save for a bike.

As far as a good bike for around $500? The Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc is probably the best bike you'll get, and it's right at your price range... It's an 'aggressive' all terrain, hardtail bike built like a tank, perfect for offroad trails, and some light mountain use. Good components and disc brakes just like you want.

www.specialized.com/OA_MEDIA/2006/bikes/06HardrockSportDisc_Drm_l.jpg

That is another one of my top pics. Seems like the hardrock has got everything Im looking for. Complete noob question but what is a hardtail?

Also should I consider a used bike? Seems like ebay and other shops that carry used stuff is about half the price so a much better bike can be had for the same money although it is used.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:16:34 AM EDT

Complete noob question but what is a hardtail?

Also should I consider a used bike? Seems like ebay and other shops that carry used stuff is about half the price so a much better bike can be had for the same money although it is used.

'Hardtail' means that it doesn't have rear suspension (front suspension/forks only). You can't really get anything good with a rear suspesion and disc brakes for under $1000.

I'm all for saving money, but if you're talking about spending only $500, get your bike from a local bike store (not a dept store). They'll likely throw in so free 'tune-ups' for a year or something like that, and if your intentions are to have a bike to replace your gym membership, I'd imagine you'll be riding it a lot. Having a good bike store to bring your bike into for regular servicing is a big plus.

If you're serious about getting into biking, check out MTBR for some reviews. It's the ultimate source for mountainbike info.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:21:54 AM EDT
Cycling only won't get you your 6 pack back. In fact alot of older cyclists, even the super fit riders have a problem with 'bike belly'. You need to burn fat and exercise that muscle group.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:31:48 AM EDT
I rather like this one
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:35:33 AM EDT

I rather like this one
www.giantbicycles.com/images/_upload_us/bikes/models/zooms/2005/Faith_1_final.jpg

That's a nice bike for Downhilling, not for trails and Cross Country. Besides, that's a $3500 bike, not a $500 bike as the OP inquired about. You should have just posted a picture of one of these...

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:26:46 PM EDT
Checked out a few local shops today with not alot of luck. Looked at Kona, Daimondback, Giant, and Cannondale. All were out of my price range which makes me realize Ebay or online dealers are the way to go. I would love to support locally but I cannot afford that on a college budget and get half the bike I could on ebay or other. I will have a local shop tune it and that sort of thing but I cant see throwing money away just to stay local.

Having said that if I do get a new bike off the floor somewere it will be the silver specialized pictured above. Hella nice bike. I also have a super hardcore buddy who is going to help me out and is thrilled to do it so hopefully Im set
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:37:24 PM EDT

Originally Posted By niceguymr:

I rather like this one
www.giantbicycles.com/images/_upload_us/bikes/models/zooms/2005/Faith_1_final.jpg

That's a nice bike for Downhilling, not for trails and Cross Country. Besides, that's a $3500 bike, not a $500 bike as the OP inquired about. You should have just posted a picture of one of these...
www.airforce-technology.com/projects/b2/images/b2_6.jpg

read my post again...
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:43:07 PM EDT
You can go to the Specialized website and do a search by zipcode for the closest dealer. I see you're in SD. Hopefully they supply a reasonably close dealer to you. Hopefully you don't have to drive too far, but if you do, maybe the dealer will knock a few extra bucks off. Also, you can get the same exact bike w/o the disc brakes for about $360 new (and that's MSRP - you may do even better).
Top Top