Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/12/2006 6:10:15 AM EDT
[rant]
So, lately I've been testing loads in my new VSSF.  So I've been mostly sticking to 100 yds.  I had some extra Black Hills so I decided I was going to have some fun and go to 300 yds on some eggs...  which make great targets by the way - and I've recently discovered that if you shoot the eggs in the morning rats and other critters come out of the woods to eat them later on in the day...  which make better targets.

Anyway, yesterday I was setting up some eggs @ 300 yds when I felt the urge to take a leak.  So I stood up on top of the berm and was doing my buisness when I noticed about 10 military style target frames!!!!  Holy shit.  Behind the berm there was a big trench with all the frames and pullys and everything.  And I noticed a higher berm behind that.  WTF?  Why in the hell are these not being used?  The area is heavly wooded which concealed everything and the owner/president of the club has narrowed the shooting lane to about 15 yds of usable berm.  By looking at how the targets frames are set up there at one time used to be about 40 yds of usable berm.  WTF?

I talked to some of the guys at the club and most of them didn't even know about it.  Those who did had also just recently found out about them the same way I did.  One of the guys had mentioned and questioned the owner/president about it and he said that we couldn't use them...  WTF???

Another thing, a little while ago I spend about $300 on making IDPA style movable barracades, walls and moving targets.  The targets had to be pulled by hand but I got a bunch of pullys with ground stakes so they could be set up a million different ways.  Fun, fun, fun right???  Damn right it was.  Well, one day I went out to the range and all the crap I had made was gone.  Then I noticed a huge pile of ashes... I was optimistic and didn't want to think the worst until I found the eye bolts that I had used to secure the pulling rope to the base of the targets in the pile of ash

WTF?  Why in the hell would my targets get burnt up?  I asked permission about it.  Well, I've found out that the president doesn't like other people doing things that isn't fun to him.  If he's not in control of what goes on he won't allow it.  If he isn't any good at what you want to do - you're not allowed to do it - case in point - the military style 300 yd targets.  If he can't/doesn't want to do it...  We're not allowed to either.

Now - this is the only out door range within a hour.  I only pay $250 a yr and the next closest range is $150 a month - too much for me.  But they have a range out to 500 yds.  And they have orginized competitions.  This whole thing is just really pissing me off.

Sorry it's so long...just a little pissed

Magoo
[/rant]
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:14:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Gotta love range politics.Could be worse dude,here in MA it is illegal to shoot at human silhouette type targets.

ETA:Those membership prices are outrageous.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:15:12 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Gotta love range politics.Could be worse dude,here in MA it is illegal to shoot at human silhouette type targets.

You have got to be fucking kidding me?
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:22:09 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
here in MA it is illegal to shoot at human silhouette type targets.

You have to be shitting us
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:25:14 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I believe that law only applies to ranges with a Class A license (ranges that allow EBRs).

I've heard of a few ranges that dropped their Class A for a Class B just so they could use silhouette targets.

Yeah, I know... still stupid, but that's MA for ya.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:26:35 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

WTF?... thats gay....

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:27:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Your only hope is to find some friendly members and start going to meetings.  If they are not complete fuck-ups they follows Roberts rules or some shit and you get to have an opinion.  Go to the meeting and bring up your concerns in writing if need be. Bring notes to talk from at the very least and ask why they destroyed your donated property.  That may stop the asshole.

I was the pistol chairman for our local club for eight years, we had near constant misery from anti-gun asshole members who wanted to simply sit on their lard asses and rest a pistol on 15 sandbags to shoot 7 yards.  We had members argue that pistols could not be shot with one hand, bullets would not go a 100 yards and complain that organized NRA events interferred with plinking and should be banned.  One even brought an ad for the Bianci Cup and asked what I did with my "thousands in prize money".  My match had 20 shooters at 24 bucks a head, in old geezer math that was $10,000 dollars a month.

Old fucktards are the worst, they remember back when their shitty 30-30 was the greatest thing since sliced bread and you fired a box a year before hunting season, they rail against anything else.  

Most shooters, especially Depends wearing fucktards, are anti-gun.  They are Anti-your-gun, they hate the sport, hate competition, hate black rifles and look at the club as their personal farting and coffee drinking clubhouse.  The only way around them is to try and have an election where they do not cheat and stack ballots and vote yourself into power.

My club is currently fighting with itself because some of the board is stealing money and supplies from the junior program and skeet range and using it for personal gain and the rest of use are mad about it.  You find out what trash people are when they get a hold of some money.  Our club is non-profit and makes close to 100K a year in dues, fees and grants.  To petty theiving old retired fuckers, it is a license to steal.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:28:55 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

You have got to move to a free state.

I used to belong to Sand Springs Sportsmen's Club until some 70+ year old "self-appointed} pseudo range master came up to me and told me "we don't allow human silhouette targets here, this is a family range and it gives people the wrong ideas". I pointed him to the posted range rules and noted that there was not a damn thing there that even closely resembled the bull shi'ite that he had just tried to feed me. He went on about it being in the by-laws and not posted and then demanded to know why I would want to shoot a human so I showed him my badge and told him that EVERYONE needed to know how to defend themselves against the most dangerous predators which walk on 2 legs.

Basically, he took this as it was intended ("Blow it out yer azz...") and I told him to put his ear protection back on because I was going to start shooting again. He buzzed off back to the skeet range from whence he came. Later that day another fuq-headed skeet shooter peppered several cars over by the pistol range. I went over to talk to him and he smarted off something like "well, move the cars". I was speechless and of course reported this asswipe to the club which did nothing. I know that one person took their car to the body shop with damages and sent the bill to the range, dont know the outcome but I changed over to Red Castle Gun Club after that and have been much happier ever since.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:29:31 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That only applies if you have a club license. Which as far as I know, Has never been issued to anyone. Some clubs have a rule barring shooting at human likeness targets, such as hostage type targets.

I can not remember the details of the club license, and looking up mass gun laws gives me a headache, so I wonte doing that.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:33:26 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 - that has got to be the gayest thing I have heard
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:34:21 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Your only hope is to find some friendly members and start going to meetings.  If they are not complete fuck-ups they follows Roberts rules or some shit and you get to have an opinion.  Go to the meeting and bring up your concerns in writing if need be. Bring notes to talk from at the very least and ask why they destroyed your donated property.  That may stop the asshole.

I was the pistol chairman for our local club for eight years, we had near constant misery from anti-gun asshole members who wanted to simply sit on their lard asses and rest a pistol on 15 sandbags to shoot 7 yards.  We had members argue that pistols could not be shot with one hand, bullets would not go a 100 yards and complain that organized NRA events interferred with plinking and should be banned.  One even brought an ad for the Bianci Cup and asked what I did with my "thousands in prize money".  My match had 20 shooters at 24 bucks a head, in old geezer math that was $10,000 dollars a month.

Old fucktards are the worst, they remember back when their shitty 30-30 was the greatest thing since sliced bread and you fired a box a year before hunting season, they rail against anything else.  

Most shooters, especially Depends wearing fucktards, are anti-gun.  They are Anti-your-gun, they hate the sport, hate competition, hate black rifles and look at the club as their personal farting and coffee drinking clubhouse.  The only way around them is to try and have an election where they do not cheat and stack ballots and vote yourself into power.

My club is currently fighting with itself because some of the board is stealing money and supplies from the junior program and skeet range and using it for personal gain and the rest of use are mad about it.  You find out what trash people are when they get a hold of some money.  Our club is non-profit and makes close to 100K a year in dues, fees and grants.  To petty theiving old retired fuckers, it is a license to steal.

And that right there is why I do not belong to a club right now.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:37:02 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That only applies if you have a club license. Which as far as I know, Has never been issued to anyone. Some clubs have a rule barring shooting at human likeness targets, such as hostage type targets.

I can not remember the details of the club license, and looking up mass gun laws gives me a headache, so I wonte doing that.

"The colonel of state police may, after an investigation, grant a Class A license to a club or facility with an on-site shooting range or gallery, which club is incorporated under the laws of the commonwealth for the possession, storage and use of large capacity weapons, ammunition therefor and large capacity feeding devices for use with such weapons on the premises of such club; provided, however, that not less than one shareholder of such club shall be qualified and suitable to be issued such license; and provided further, that such large capacity weapons and ammunition feeding devices may be used under such Class A club license only by such members that possess a valid firearm identification card issued under section 129B or a valid Class A or Class B license to carry firearms, or by such other persons that the club permits while under the direct supervision of a certified firearms safety instructor or club member who, in the case of a large capacity firearm, possesses a valid Class A license to carry firearms or, in the case of a large capacity rifle or shotgun, possesses a valid Class A or Class B license to carry firearms. Such club shall not permit shooting at targets that depict human figures, human effigies, human silhouettes or any human images thereof, except by public safety personnel performing in line with their official duties."

www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/140-131.htm
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:37:43 AM EDT
[#12]
AMEN brother,,,If I did not shoot competitively I'd stay away.  During the season, I need to be one the range two or three days a week.  They have slowly learned to leave me the hell alone and I get the drama updates from a friend.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:38:33 AM EDT
[#13]
time for you to become club president.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:41:51 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

[rant]
which reminds me of another rant that I've been holding up...  Once a year we have a mandatory work day.  Everyone comes out and does maintenance and there's usually some drawings and a rifle gets raffled off.  Well, last year the pres held up the fine cup - you're fined for doing something stupid or not having your range ID on or what ever.  Well, there had to be about $500+ in there and he announced that there would be a pistol competition and who ever won got the $$$$.  Sweet - I'm in.  Well low and behold I am the winner.  Sweet.  This poorly paid firefighter can always use some extra bucks.  

Me - "So...  uh about the prize"

pres - "oh...  You thought I was serious...  ha ha ha."

Me - "Seriously?"

it fells good to rant
[/rant]
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:41:52 AM EDT
[#15]
BLM land+lazer rangefinder=bliss.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:42:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Reading that law...We have a MG range,so I guess that's why we can't shoot at human silhouettes.I never knew why,I just figured it was state law in MA..
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:50:32 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

[chinese accent]
You a funny man - you maka me raff
[/chinese accent]

During the annual get together if you don't show up then the el presidente gets your vote...  So we have over 150 menbers - we're luckly to get 40 people during work day...  he is guarenteed at least 111 votes.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:03:37 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

[rant]
which reminds me of another rant that I've been holding up...  Once a year we have a mandatory work day.  Everyone comes out and does maintenance and there's usually some drawings and a rifle gets raffled off.  Well, last year the pres held up the fine cup - you're fined for doing something stupid or not having your range ID on or what ever.  Well, there had to be about $500+ in there and he announced that there would be a pistol competition and who ever won got the $$$$.  Sweet - I'm in.  Well low and behold I am the winner.  Sweet.  This poorly paid firefighter can always use some extra bucks.  

Me - "So...  uh about the prize"

pres - "oh...  You thought I was serious...  ha ha ha."

Me - "Seriously?"

it fells good to rant
[/rant]

Bullshit on that! We'd be discussing the problem all over the parking lot.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:07:11 AM EDT
[#19]
My new range is 5 miles from my house, about 10 members.  $30 a year, no one is ever there and I've got the combo to the gate  I can bring anyone I want too!
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:14:58 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

[chinese accent]
[/chinese accent]

During the annual get together if you don't show up then the el presidente gets your vote...  So we have over 150 menbers - we're luckly to get 40 people during work day...  he is guarenteed at least 111 votes.

Sounds like it's time for you to organize a campaign then.  I'm sure you're not the only one unhappy about this.

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:15:26 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
My new range is 5 miles from my house, about 10 members.  $30 a year, no one is ever there and I've got the combo to the gate  I can bring anyone I want too!

You sir are a lucky man. And I hate you.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:23:57 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

[chinese accent]
[/chinese accent]

Who the hell would vote for a by-law like that?
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:26:59 AM EDT
[#23]

You don't really have a choice...  It's part of the application to become a member - The guy is a very good lawyer so I guess he knows all the little tricks...  If I am not present on work day I give my vote to ...........

ETA - it wouldn't matter anyway - most of the members rarely use the range and most of the others aren't into IDPA - black guns or long distance shooting so all my bitches mones and complaints are pretty much a mute point.  

I've pretty much learned to not go out there when a large crowd will be there...  Saturdays - I try to go during the week or Sunday and then I can have my fun.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:27:50 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

[chinese accent]
[/chinese accent]

El presidente.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 11:30:49 AM EDT
[#25]
what club is this anyway?  I wonder if an ARFCOM "fire mission" might be in order
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 11:37:28 AM EDT
[#26]
I pay $20 bucks a year, its about 2 miles from my house.

Thats when I want to go to the range, for general plinking, I stay on private property.  The range has excellent benches, which makes working up loads a breeze.  
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 11:51:52 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
My new range is 5 miles from my house, about 10 members.  $30 a year, no one is ever there and I've got the combo to the gatehr

Sounds like the club I belong to as well. I've seen maybe 3 people out there since I became a member back in December 05. Wish I had joined sooner, I dicked around for over a year before I finally joined.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 11:56:07 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 11:59:11 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
what club is this anyway?  I wonder if an ARFCOM "fire mission" might be in order

It's called Dos Lupes Gun Club - or it's listed as Target Gun Club-Target Props, Inc on the NRAs website.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 12:53:16 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You sir are a lucky man. And I hate you.

I really hate you... OK, maybe not but you are very lucky
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 1:16:26 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's called Dos Lupes Gun Club - or it's listed as Target Gun Club-Target Props, Inc on the NRAs website.

Sounds like a fire mission to the club and nra are in order.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 1:48:52 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

+1

"Who needs them thar black rifles anyhow?"          
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 2:01:03 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

"Who needs them thar black rifles anyhow?"          

Well, hopefully they will die off and their numbers can be replaced by pro gun Black rifle shooters.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 2:06:26 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

What do LEO's in MA shoot at then? (Seriously asking)
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 2:12:01 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
.................... Such club shall not permit shooting at targets that depict human figures, human effigies, human silhouettes or any human images thereof, except by public safety personnel performing in line with their official duties."

www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/140-131.htm

What about gorillas? Humanoid, but not human. Do I hear LOOPHOLE?
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 2:18:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Ah, my range only requires $50 a year (plus a one-time initiation fee of $70 when you first join), and membership in the NRA.  Its a nice range, and I can go pretty much whenever I want.  I've never been hassled while I'm there, its great.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 2:30:16 PM EDT
[#37]
My club is great.  .50 friendly (although I don't have one), EBR friendly, full auto friendly.  Heck LW tests a lot of their stuff there...all I have to do is make sure I'm there when they do
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top