Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/12/2006 6:09:28 AM EDT
Ok guys, we dont have the owners manual nor the shop manual for this car yet.  We ordered that last night.  I need to do an oil change.  Anyone know what the factory recomended as far as oil weight?  Its the same 2.3L (140CI) turbo motor that came in the 80s Thunderchicken Turbo Coupe
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:34:28 AM EDT
[#1]
10-30W or 10-40W.  I use Mobil 1 in my SVO Mustang, it runs fine and has less oil related problems. Your car may have a shorter than normal oil filter that is kind of a bitch to change, don't try and use a non-turbo 2.3 filter.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:57:13 AM EDT
[#2]
yeah, the oil changes arent as straight forward on this car.  its got an  adjustable angle collar that if you dont set it right, the filter can get in the way of the steering linkage resulting in a hole rubbed in the filter

this car is going to be a beast.  My team and I are building it for the grass roots motorsports $2006 challenge

Our Grassroots Page

check us out.  We'll have more pics uploaded in a few hours
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:02:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Turbo=Synthetic oil. I used mobil one religiously. [10w30] Does not coke up the turbo bearings  like a conventional oil. Also make sure to let the engine idle before shutting off the engine to allow the turbo time to spin down while still having oil pressure. This will prolong the life of the turbo by two or three times.

My 300zx turbo still was on the original turbo with 160K on the clock when I sold it.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:13:00 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Turbo=Synthetic oil. I used mobil one religiously. [10w30] Does not coke up the turbo bearings  like a conventional oil. Also make sure to let the engine idle before shutting off the engine to allow the turbo time to spin down while still having oil pressure. This will prolong the life of the turbo by two or three times.

My 300zx turbo still was on the original turbo with 160K on the clock when I sold it.

definitely!!  sound advice for anyone with a turbocharged vehicle.  Both of my parents have Jetta TDIs.   both 2000 models, dad refused to let his idle, mom let hers idle.  110k turbo replacement for dad.  Mom's is still in factory spec.   well in the green!

Once this challenge is done, we're going to upgrade the internals on the car.  There are guys who have done this and can dump over 700 HP to the crank with no trouble.  I seriously doubt we wanna put that much power in the car, but it would be nice to put around 350-400 at the wheels and go toast vettes n ricers.

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:21:47 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Ok guys, we dont have the owners manual nor the shop manual for this car yet.  We ordered that last night.  I need to do an oil change.  Anyone know what the factory recomended as far as oil weight?  Its the same 2.3L (140CI) turbo motor that came in the 80s Thunderchicken Turbo Coupe

If its a used shop manual, make sure all the pages to the electrical system, part of the book are there. I heard they were constantly wearing pages out from that section, due to use.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:26:46 AM EDT
[#6]
You mean theres one of those still around that hasn't caught fire yet?
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:31:04 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If its a used shop manual, make sure all the pages to the electrical system, part of the book are there. I heard they were constantly wearing pages out from that section, due to use.

The wiring harness has been redone once and I am going to re-wire it again.  I want to move the relay box and a few other odds n ends.  The manual is on a CD in PDF format and we're going to have 4 copies made at the central campus (free) print center.

Just like a german product.  if its diesel. it leaks all over the place, and if its a car it has electrical problems.  

Horay for the british designed, german built FORD  *somewhere, a detroit man's head just exploded*
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:38:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Funny thing is, we used those as MP vehicles in Frankfurt while I was stationed there in the early/mid 80s. Not quick, but they would roll down the autobahn when they got up a head of steam. They were called Ford Siarras [sic] over there.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:44:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Is that what was called the Ford Sierra in Europe?

I used to have one of those many, many years ago - but not the XRTi model, just the cheapo 1.6 model.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 9:16:27 AM EDT
[#10]
What do you mean "let it idle so it can spin down"?

I don't know many people who redline their engines in their driveway as they pull up into it.

I think the biggest reason why people say let your turbo idle for 30-60 seconds before you shut it off after being hard on it  is so the turbo can cool quicker with the crankcase oil moving through it while the turbo is at idle speeds.

Again this is only after being hard it on and you want to shut it off.

I've honestly have never heard one person say "let it idle so it can spin down".
Thats just what happens as you let of the gas and pull into your parking area.

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:02:05 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
What do you mean "let it idle so it can spin down"?

I don't know many people who redline their engines in their driveway as they pull up into it.

I think the biggest reason why people say let your turbo idle for 30-60 seconds before you shut it off after being hard on it  is so the turbo can cool quicker with the crankcase oil moving through it while the turbo is at idle speeds.

Again this is only after being hard it on and you want to shut it off.

I've honestly have never heard one person say "let it idle so it can spin down".
Thats just what happens as you let of the gas and pull into your parking area.

by letting it spin down he meant letting the turbo cool down
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 11:34:45 PM EDT
[#12]
My bro had one. He had it up to 130 on I5 just north of Bakersfield.

It was cherry. He sold it to a high school chick who totaled it in 2 weeks.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 11:42:45 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

definitely!!  sound advice for anyone with a turbocharged vehicle.  Both of my parents have Jetta TDIs.   both 2000 models, dad refused to let his idle, mom let hers idle.  110k turbo replacement for dad.  Mom's is still in factory spec.   well in the green!

Once this challenge is done, we're going to upgrade the internals on the car.  There are guys who have done this and can dump over 700 HP to the crank with no trouble.  I seriously doubt we wanna put that much power in the car, but it would be nice to put around 350-400 at the wheels and go toast vettes n ricers.

Sweet...

I've heard these motors can put up 400 hp pretty easily.

Like to get my hands on an SVO someday.

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:40:48 AM EDT
[#14]
If you had enough money you could own my SVO and it's in Washington.  Just down the road some guy dumped a VERY nice  black 1986 for $2500.00, apparently he wanted to move to Montana.  The first guy to see it grabbed it, I called at 1030am and it was gone.

Hey Belfry, I IM'd you, my brother is about 30 mins away and has a ton of experience with 2.3 racing, both circle track and at Road A.  He said he would not mind lending a hand if you need it.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top