Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 12:12:23 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
OK. First of all, NO "IBTP" because ther is NO POLL COMING.

Ready?

Here is the scenario. You are in a shopping mall and with a family member. Lets say a minor child. You go to your car and he/she opens the car door wide and DINGS the car next to you... its nothing major but its a good ding. There are many people around that may have seen it happen. What do you do?

1. Leave like nothing ever happened

or

2. Leave a note with your # and an apology
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SECOND part... Now you are the victim of the 'ding', you have a decent vehicle with quite a few dings on both sides of your car, if a person left a note... what would you do?

Leave a note....happened twice about 5 years apart...first time no response , and the second the lady called a bitched me out for about 20 mins and I told her that I would turn it over to my insure agent. She said she would talk to her husband about it, and that was the end of it...never called back.

Thats what I dont get, You were the better person and left a note yet she still bitches...
What the hell is wrong with people nowadays?

Well I did ding her car......

Yeah? So? I would have been a HELL of a lot nicer to you just for being decent.

Feel free to ding my car anytime.

Well luckily I don't have my old blue 78 Coupe Deville anymore.....car was a death machine. I was fueling ol' blue up one day...and the guy in front of me at the pump looked that me and said that my car was leaking on his BMW......sure enuff ol Blue was pissing coolant in a long green stream on his car.....Blue didn't like BMWs for some reason.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 12:16:47 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Option 2.  The true test of a man's character is what he does when no one is watching.

Woody

So, if you walked across the neighbor's yard between the road and the sidewalk and left footprints in his turf, would you leave a note identifying yourself? The question isn't whether you should own up to destroying somebody else's property: of course you should. The question is whether a door ding on a car parked in a place they could call a "dinging lot" as accurately as a "parking lot" is the kind of thing that warrants notice.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 1:11:10 AM EDT
[#3]
With all those people watching, and you kid, too?

Leave a note."Hi. Everybody watching me that saw me whack your car thinks I'm leaving this note with my name, address, phone, and insurance company, but you should live so long."
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 2:04:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 2:47:47 AM EDT
[#5]
If it were just a "ding" then I'd probably just drive off.  "Dings" are just part of the wear & tear in my opinion.  Just add character to the vehicle.  I once caused a little more than a ding.  I went to the mall one afternoon and pulled into a parking spot at sears, and it was windy as hell.  Well i opened my door to get out of my truck and the wind caught my door ripping it out of grip...WHAM!!!  My door smacked right into another car breaking their passenger side mirror.  It was just kinda danglin.  I looked around and NO ONE was around, and I thought hell i should just move to another spot, but then the morals in me kicked in and I did leave a note with my name & #.  I was just kind of hoping that the wind would have swept if from under the wiper, then I did the right thing and nature took its course, but she called.  I gace her my insurance info, and they took care of it for her.  Shitty part is, I would have had to pay the deductible to get my door fixed, so I had to drive around with a big "ding" in MY door!
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 3:40:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Wife did just that.We left a note.Guy never called.
I once had someone tap me in the parking lot.I asked her how it looked.She said "Fine".
Got home and had a giant dent in the rear quarter,Got in the trunk and kicked it back out.
Just a mode of transportatiopn.Don't much mater to me.But,is IGNORANT beyond words just to leave.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:53:01 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Option 2.  The true test of a man's character is what he does when no one is watching.

Woody

So, if you walked across the neighbor's yard between the road and the sidewalk and left footprints in his turf, would you leave a note identifying yourself? The question isn't whether you should own up to destroying somebody else's property: of course you should. The question is whether a door ding on a car parked in a place they could call a "dinging lot" as accurately as a "parking lot" is the kind of thing that warrants notice.

Footprints in a growing surface which will require no action on the part of the owner to recover is rather different, don't you think?  But what bothers me is the apparent expectation that I should just expect people to have the right to go defacing and devaluing my property because I choose to actually park in a lot which was designed for, well, parking.  It is not a dinging lot.  If they would identify the dinging section, I would be glad to choose to NOT park in that area, but should I find myself inadvertently there, then the expectation of a ding would be understood.  The true question is whether one has the moral fortitude to do the right thing.  

Woody
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:55:49 AM EDT
[#8]
I'd take a ball bat to it.  In for a penny, in for a pound.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:03:34 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
My first IBNT!!

IBNT?

In before Napolean Tanerite
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:05:22 AM EDT
[#10]
I wouldn't be in that situation...
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:13:54 AM EDT
[#11]
I would either wait for the person to show up or leave.  My ex wife bumped into a car, and dented the bumper, meanwhile the owner backed into another car the same day and tried blaming my ex wife for the additional damage.  When the woman sent me a $1,500 estmate I flipped and drove over and looked at the damage and saw that the damage was too high to come from the ex's Honda and there was yellow paint instead of the red.  I made out a check for $200 and told her if she wanted to get more from me to get a lawyer.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:19:54 AM EDT
[#12]
An accidental ding from a car door? I'd leave a note saying next time don't park so freakin' close. (Just kidding) I'd probably do the right thing while acknowledging to myself that the road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

My car already has a couple of small dings from the woman who rammed a shopping cart out of the way with her SUV right into it (then proceeded to get really nasty with my husband who was sitting in the car at the time). I probably wouldn't worry about it.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:21:57 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
OK. First of all, NO "IBTP" because ther is NO POLL COMING.

Ready?

Here is the scenario. You are in a shopping mall and with a family member. Lets say a minor child. You go to your car and he/she opens the car door wide and DINGS the car next to you... its nothing major but its a good ding. There are many people around that may have seen it happen. What do you do?

1. Leave like nothing ever happened

or

2. Leave a note with your # and an apology
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SECOND part... Now you are the victim of the 'ding', you have a decent vehicle with quite a few dings on both sides of your car, if a person left a note... what would you do?

I would leave my name and number.

If it were my car I would call them up and tell them thank-you for leaving the note and drop it there.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:35:11 AM EDT
[#14]
I'd leave a note and a number. It's just the thing to do. I always warned my kid when he was younger before he opened the door to be careful.

I usually park out in the lot away from other vehicles anyways. To bad some dip in a POS always seems to HAVE to park right next to me no matter what.

Then again, "new" and "car" don't go together in my vocabulary. I prefer predented myself.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 9:16:34 AM EDT
[#15]
I live near Santa Fe,  New Mexico. I call it Anti-Fe because of all the liberal, anti-gunners, anti-war protesters, homosexual loving, demonstrating every weekend assholes that live there. If I pull into a lot with my 95 Honda civic that is at 102,000 miles and has numerous dings, bent hub caps etc. and I see a typical Santa Fe anti-war bumper sticker, I love Kerry or anti bush bumper Sticker, free Tibet Laden car. I make damn sure to open the door far enough to cause a ding, the more bumper stickers the harder I push. If they have an NRA, military service, support the troops etc. bumper stickers I am real careful.

Some asshole kid actually punched my car as I was driving by best buy the other day. I parked got out went over to his car and caved in the drivers side door with my size 11 steel toe work boots. He just sat there and looked at me while I smiled and walked away. Too bad I would have enjoyed putting my boot up his juvenile deliquent ass. Oh yea he and his buddy and his girlfriend (skank) were laughing as they walked to their car. They were suddenly not so entertained as they were driving away with a big dent in the door.  

Those are my Morals!
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 9:20:13 AM EDT
[#16]
After thinking about it, it really does depend on the car.  A classic American car/truck or late model muscle like a GN/GNX or the new Charger?  Sure, I'll leave a note explaining I'll either pay or fix the damage.  Other cars, especially Euro trash?  I'll slam open the door again, only harder.  People should know better than to part next to my old Fords...the large, barking dog in the bed (or laying under the boom of the wrecker) should be warning enough.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 1:20:14 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Woody

Footprints in a growing surface which will require no action on the part of the owner to recover is rather different, don't you think?  But what bothers me is the apparent expectation that I should just expect people to have the right to go defacing and devaluing my property because I choose to actually park in a lot which was designed for, well, parking.  It is not a dinging lot.  If they would identify the dinging section, I would be glad to choose to NOT park in that area, but should I find myself inadvertently there, then the expectation of a ding would be understood.  The true question is whether one has the moral fortitude to do the right thing.  

Woody

I guess where we part company is at our expectations of what happens to our cars in parking lots. Please, rest assured that I always go out of my way to avoid touching another man's property, and that's no joke. For that reason my only frame of reference for dings is as the "victim." The only place I don't expect to get my car(s) dinged is in my own yard. The only dings I'd take notice of would be things that'd make me think there'd been a wreck. I take anything less than that as part of the total mall/grocery/gun show/whatever experience. I guess, if I were the "perp," I'd leave a note if it were anything other than a paint transfer that could be fixed with a wet rag. OTOH, as I say, I was raised not to touch what isn't mine, so it's not something I've had to deal with.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 1:40:44 PM EDT
[#18]
This all depends on what state, city and time of day this so happened, that is all................
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 1:42:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Who the hell is giving this so called moral quiz, and what is there personal standard of morals based on?
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 2:12:46 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm one of those guys who park all the way at the end of the lot, the part where it's too far for anyone to get out and walk to the entrance to the mall or door to a building. I drive a 2000 GMC truck and not a ding on her yet. My wife whines like a puppy when we have to walk but I just tell her "it's good exercise"
Now her car is another story, it's has a bunch of dings and NO ONE has ever left a note but if it should ever happen that I or a family member do the unthinkable then a note is in order to the owner of the vehicle
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:44:39 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Who the hell is giving this so called moral quiz, and what is there personal standard of morals based on?

I am.

Dont read any further into it other than it is JUST a question
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:51:49 PM EDT
[#22]
1. it's the way of the world.
you have a car
you park it in a public parking lot
sooner or later it gets dinged
my car gets dinged and scratched
your car gets dinged and scratched
whether it's from loose gravel on the road or somebody else's car door sooner or later it happens . . . move on  .. .

when things are new they don't have any scratches smudges dings dents. . .
when things are used . .. . they DO

If I add a little dent to somebody else's car ..  .. . sorry I just don't care.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top