Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/11/2006 7:01:39 PM EDT
I just had to completely break down, totally clean twice, and reassemble a Walther PPK/S magazine. And clean three rounds of .380 that were inside of it.

Because I got silly putty stuck inside some of the bullet window holes on the side. That felt dumb.

Post your stories of cleaning weapons and parts for incredibly dumbass reasons.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:03:22 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Because I got silly putty stuck inside some of the bullet window holes on the side. That felt dumb.

What's the story behind that?
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:04:08 PM EDT
[#2]
i know someone who cleaned an AK once because it was dirty.

that was pointless.  it ran like sh!t afterwards.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:04:40 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I just had to completely break down, totally clean twice, and reassemble a Walther PPK/S magazine. And clean three rounds of .380 that were inside of it.

huh
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:05:49 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
i know someone who cleaned an AK once because it was dirty.

that was pointless.  it ran like sh!t afterwards.

haha.

i had my kel tec P3AT so covered with lint and shit from the pocket of an old pair of pants that I needed to clean the gun without having to fire a shot.  There was shit 1" deep in a 2" barrel.  I was afraid it would affect accuracy.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:08:35 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

That's some really weak-ass shit.

Try taking apart and reassembling a Ruger 22 sometime, or taking the bolt out of a HK91/G3.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:13:06 PM EDT
[#6]
No exceptionally dirty guns here, but I have had enough damm small parts under spring tension go flying across the room and land in a mystery location to drive me nuts.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:13:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Just dont stick any silly putty down the bbl
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:15:17 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's some really weak-ass shit.

Try taking apart and reassembling a Ruger 22 sometime, or taking the bolt out of a HK91/G3.

+1 on the Ruger. Those damn things have to get completely naked...geez!
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:21:05 PM EDT
[#9]
The Sword In The Stone.... Remington Style

Stepfather had purchased a Remington 870 HD Model after talking to a LEO who recommended a shotgun. He handed it to me since he knows my firearms are my hobby. I tryed to get the magazine cap off for 20 mintues, then he trys for 10 minutes, my mother trys also. The next day I try again, my friend was over he tried. Gave up on it, and left it. Took it out to pattern it for him, and realized it needed to be cleaned. Tryed it again, and it still would not budge. Luckily I was with my future father-in-law who is a Remington Kool-Aid drinker who grabs channel locks and gets it off in no time. It was really a dumbass moment for me

Also, after I first field-stripped my Norinco SKS, I couldn't get the action back into the stock. After 45 minutes and enough cuss words to make a Marine Corps Drill Instructor blush, I finally realized it wasn't lined up correctly.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:27:28 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, I was on the phone, sorta paying attention to what was being said, and was playing with a ball of silly putty to keep myself amused. I decided to stick it on part of the Walther mag in front of me.

Girl: "something something shopping for antiques"
Me: "Uh-huh"
Inside my head: "Hey, neat. There's a backwards walther flash on my silly putty."
Girl: "Something coffee shop something"
Inside my head: "I bet it would look neat if I put this on the WHOLE side and got the numbers."
Me: "Oh, shit."
Girl: What?
Me: "Nothin'" *internal scramble for thread of conversation. Remember "antiques"* "I, um, hate antique shopping"
Girl: "Well, I love it."
Inside my head: "Shit, wrong answer"
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:37:32 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, I was on the phone, sorta paying attention to what was being said, and was playing with a ball of silly putty to keep myself amused. I decided to stick it on part of the Walther mag in front of me.

Inside my head: "Hey, neat. There's a backwards walther flash on my silly putty."
Inside my head: "I bet it would look neat if I put this on the WHOLE side and got the numbers."
Me: "Nothin'" *internal scramble for thread of conversation. Remember "antiques"* "I, um, hate antique shopping"

Jeez - here I thought your kid did it and come to find out that you're the kid!
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:42:43 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Damn-I think I play out variations of that exact same scene with on the phone with my g/f at least once a month.  I think the last time I dropped the barrel of my Mossberg and broke a glass while she was going thru a long drawn out monologue about work.  

(crash)
"Sonuvabitch"
"And-what's the matter???"
"Uh.  Nothing.  So, you were saying....um..."
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:44:36 PM EDT
[#13]
I had a detent pin spring and detent shoot out of the forward takedown pin hole at six times the speed of sound. It hit three walls and the ceiling before coming to rest in Paraguay.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 12:09:49 AM EDT
[#14]
I soaked a Steyr GB in Hoppe's #9 for two weeks to get off the carbon fouling and buildup left by the previous owner (it was not cycling properly).  I thought that the funky stippled texture on the grip was etched into the metal.  But it turned out to be plastic coating that dissolved peeled off to leave unfinished gunmetal underneath.

Somebody is going to have a very unique NP3 Steyr GB soon!
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 12:36:07 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I had a detent pin spring and detent shoot out of the forward takedown pin hole at six times the speed of sound. It hit three walls and the ceiling before coming to rest in Paraguay.

Had a detent stick in my forehead once. It made a THOCK sound that I actually heard on both sides of my ear drums. I remember glancing down and waiting for it to drop on one of the towels I had out as a sort of “catcher’s mitt... thinking: “Where is this red stuff coming from?”

The only thing better is driving a spring up under a fingernail… or maybe dropping a Garand bolt on your thumb.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 2:25:34 AM EDT
[#16]
While disassembling a Ruger MKIII magazine for the first time while reading the manual, just as I get to the part that says, "Magazine spring will eject with great force" the spring and pin go flying across the room.  

It took me three weeks to find the pin.  Drove me NUTS.

Also, the first time I used my Mosin Nagant, the bolt got sticky and I was worried that I would hurt the gun if I tried to force the action open.  I didn't know that the only tools you'll ever need on a Mosin Nagant is a set of progressively larger hammers.  
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 2:33:28 AM EDT
[#17]
first time detail strip on my Springfield 1911.

Got the frame reassembled correctly. On to the slide. Try to fit the firing pin retainer plate back into place while holding the firing pin in with a ballpoint pen.

*SPPRROOOING*

"AW, SON OF A......."

Firing pin had come flying out and nailed me right between the eyes. Ever since then, I've cleaned guns with safety glasses on.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 2:49:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Does launching detent pins during an AR build count?
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 1:14:40 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Does launching detent pins during an AR build count?

It's manditory.

Extra credit is awarded if it strikes some kitchsy piece of bric-brak that some female in your life has collected.

BC
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top