Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/11/2006 4:39:22 PM EDT
I'm in Hammond, LA which is the other side of Lake Ponchatrane from NOLA.

This scraggly dude knocks on my door and proceeds to tell me how he isn't a hobo, and tells me his life story... blah blah blah... hurricane Katrina... blah blah blah... my wife... blah blah blah...

All I had to offer him was 16 rds of 147gr Hydrashock.

But, being ever the gentleman that I am, I suggested he go inside the truckstop and perhaps someone inside could help him.

"Oh, no man... I don't need any of that..."

Any of what???

Assistance?

And for those keeping score, YES the Glock was out, NO, it was not pointed at him (unless you count pointing it through the door).

Live prepared, people!
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 4:40:58 PM EDT
Weren't you dodging tornados in MO last night?
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 4:42:08 PM EDT
I would have tossed the guy a few bucks if he seemed legit. Nothing wrong with help a fellow man when he's down.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 4:42:16 PM EDT
They go door-to-door in a friends neighborhood asking for handouts..........in groups.......in vans
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 4:43:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/11/2006 4:43:57 PM EDT by nationwide]

Originally Posted By zipper:
Weren't you dodging tornados in MO last night?

No.

It was two nights ago. I get around!!!

ETA: What can I say... I'm nationwide.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 4:57:09 PM EDT
Maybe I should have hit him with the Sure Fire?

120 lumens of "Halt! Who goes there???"

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:04:16 PM EDT

Originally Posted By nationwide:

This scraggly dude knocks on my door and proceeds to tell me how he isn't a hobo, and tells me his life story... blah blah blah... hurricane Katrina... blah blah blah... my wife... blah blah blah...

YOUR WIFE??? What the hell was this freak doing with your wife? You should have made him into a hood ornament right then and there!

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:06:48 PM EDT
G19? Excellent choice.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:09:51 PM EDT

Originally Posted By mr_camera_man:

YOUR WIFE??? What the hell was this freak doing with your wife? You should have made him into a hood ornament right then and there!

Oh yes, you're from IL...

I suppose I should have used these silly little things " ".

Methinks they spend too much time on grammar and not enough on driver's ed in the Land O'Lincoln.

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:13:20 PM EDT
Should have told him there's plenty of work in N.O. (they're begging for people and paying good) and go get a f'n job.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:13:57 PM EDT
I am in NOLA working and the stupidity of SOME the residents/Leeches here is like trying to wade thru jello.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:21:48 PM EDT

Methinks they spend too much time on grammar and not enough on driver's ed in the Land O'Lincoln.

Nah... I want our fine drivers to keep piling their cars up, that way I can keep selling them new ones. Keep them out of driver's ed.

Just keep our fingers crossed that they don't pile into us anytime soon.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:30:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/11/2006 5:32:03 PM EDT by The_Macallan]

Was he out of Heineken and cookies?

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:36:55 PM EDT

Originally Posted By The_Macallan:
Was he out of Heineken and cookies?

l00t!!!
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:59:53 PM EDT
Vivere Paratus bro
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:20:05 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Gunner1X:
I would have tossed the guy a few bucks if he seemed legit. Nothing wrong with help a fellow man when he's down.

I admire your compassion but I've had these encounters DOZENS of times. In my experience, when they start singing the blues about their life story, they are NEVER legit.

They are basically interviewing you and checking for weaknesses or hesitancy in your response. Often, if your immediate response is to reach for your wallet and you offer $1 for example, they'll say 'but that's not enough' or they'll reach in and grab it and run.

Standing on a corner with a sign is one thing, but approaching a private vehicle crosses the line especially if you're stuck in traffic. I've gone so far as to let them see the gun - make 'em think twice about accosting someone.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:24:29 PM EDT

"Oh, no man... I don't need any of that..."

I hate that shit.

I went out to eat one morning and there was a seriously underfed dude out front of the restaurant begging. I offered to buy him a meal from the restaurant. (What was I thinking? I must have been drunk or feeling nice as my usuall reply would have been fuck off)

Anyway, his reply to my offer .... "no, I want mcdonalds".

I just shook my head and went inside.

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:29:40 PM EDT
Should have offered him the want ads
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:31:51 PM EDT
this is going to be the national hobo battle cry for at least another year or so

"i'm from NOLA and am displaced by katrina..."
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:36:53 PM EDT
Did you "draw down" on him?
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:46:10 PM EDT

Originally Posted By AyeGuy:
Did you "draw down" on him?

Your question is answered in post 1.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:55:34 PM EDT

i dont hand out money anymore,

i was at a gas station filling up my truck, this black guy walks up to me, begging for 5 bucks saying he needs to get to TN, i think, well i can spare 5 bucks i guess, the bastards runs to his car, takes off without pumping gas, and as hes driving away i see some hag in the front seat, im guessing she was a hooker, and he conned her, even though he had no money and she wanted her money.

any who might run into me asking for legit help can thank that jack ass for ruining it.

eh im done ranting and raving about my pointless story.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:56:07 PM EDT

Sucker born every minute.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:37:33 AM EDT

Originally Posted By -Absolut-:

If you're feeling generous offer to buy him a couple sandwiches and see how he reacts. Usually, these people don't want help, they want handouts. There's always a job somewhere, but they don't want a job, they want charity.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:48:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/12/2006 5:49:31 AM EDT by Gunner1X]

This sucker was born 43 years ago. I've seen many people in my life that were able to pull themselves
up by their boot straps with a little help. Do I hand out money at random to bums? No. Would I help
out a poor soul who really needed and appreciated the help? You bet. To me, there's nothing more
rewarding and I've found that it has always come back to me in spades.

As for calling me a sucker, you don't even know me, where I've been, the things I've seen, the things
I've done, but...whatever.

Edit for spelling.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:59:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/12/2006 5:59:56 AM EDT by Oslow]
I got blown up into Illinois by Katrina; I could use a few bucks to help pay for my new truck buy a used car so I can take my family back down south and try to rebuild my shattered life.

I take PayPal.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:08:08 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Napoleon_Tanerite:
this is going to be the national hobo battle cry for at least another year or so

"i'm from NOLA and am displaced by katrina..."

Most deffinitely!

Travis
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:16:54 AM EDT
The last time I got hustled at a truck stop, this guy was telling me that he was trying to get home to somewhere out of state and he needed money for gas, wife needed medical attention, kids hungery, etc... and on...and on... and on... while I was pumping gas into my car. I told him (honestly) that all I had was a credit card and I could get him $5 in gas but that was all. He turned ugly and said that I didn;t have to lie to him and I should have just told him no. Then he went on to the next car and started the same spiel while I went into the store to get a coke...

ANYWAY, apparently he succeeded in getting the other sap to give him a couple of bucks because I was waiting in line at the register when he comes in and buys LOTTERY TICKETS with the money, I walked out and saw that he was driving a late model Chevy pickup with LOCAL PLATES.

The next time this happens I swear I'm going to show the panhandler my (retired) badge and demand to see his Panhandler's Permit (required in the Tulsa area).
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:18:15 AM EDT
Sorry, this never gets old

GM
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:20:21 AM EDT

Originally Posted By 1IV:
I am in NOLA working and the stupidity of SOME the residents/Leeches here is like trying to wade thru jello.

HUGE +1
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:24:17 AM EDT

This sucker was born 43 years ago. I've seen many people in my life that were able to pull themselves
up by their boot straps with a little help. Do I hand out money at random to bums? No. Would I help
out a poor soul who really needed and appreciated the help? You bet. To me, there's nothing more

As for calling me a sucker, you don't even know me, where I've been, the things I've seen, the things

Edit for spelling.

True, the blessing you recieve is far greater than the gift you gave.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 1:32:46 PM EDT

Originally Posted By goodmedicine:
Sorry, this never gets old

fuserservices.com/Lootymeetstruckdriver.JPG

GM

Fuggin A!!!
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 1:33:24 PM EDT

Originally Posted By MrClean4Hire:

Edit for spelling.

True, the blessing you recieve is far greater than the gift you gave.

No his problem is he's just too nice!
Top Top