Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/11/2006 9:58:59 AM EDT

www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200603/s1589259.htm

Eclipse to cause 'psychological discomfort'

The Nigerian Government has warned citizens they may suffer "psychological discomfort" during a new eclipse this month but urged them not to panic.

Information Minister Frank Nweke says an eclipse in 2001 caused riots in northern Borno state because people did not know why it happened.

"Some people even felt some evil people in their communities were responsible for the eclipse," he said in a statement aimed at reassuring Nigerians the eclipse is expected to darken parts of the country on March 29.

"The eclipse is not expected to have any real damaging effect, only social and psychological discomforts are envisaged."

He did not explain what the discomforts might be.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 10:00:45 AM EDT

Big ball of light disappear.

Bad juju.

Must kill white devil.

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 10:01:27 AM EDT

Originally Posted By DK-Prof:

Bad juju.

Must kill white devil.

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 10:06:13 AM EDT
<savage>Somebody stole my mojo!!!</savage>
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 10:07:58 AM EDT
The sun gods are unhappy.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 10:09:47 AM EDT

Bad juju.

Must kill white devil.

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 10:11:10 AM EDT
They don't learn about the sun and the moon at the school where they learn about computers and con games?
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 10:11:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/11/2006 10:12:19 AM EDT by bastiat]
This would be a good opportunity to get back at the nigerian scammers...

"GREATINGS GOOD SIR. YOUR NAME COMES TO ME OF THE HIGHEST REGARD AS A PERSON OF GREAT WEALTH AND INFLUENCE. I AM A PERSONAL REPRESENTATIVE OF GENERAL MBETTI MUMBOKO. THROUGH VARIOUS CIRCUMSTANCES THE GENERAL IS CURRENTLY IN POSSESSION OF THE SUN THAT HAS DISAPPEARED FROM THE SKY. HE DESIRES GREATLY TO RETURN THE SUN TO ITS RIGHTFUL PLACE AT GREAT PERSONAL EXPENSE TO HIMSELF, BUT ALL HIS FUNDS HAVE BEEN FROZEN BY MISTAKE AND HE REQUIRES SEVERAL THOUSAND DOLLARS TO UNFREEZE THOSE FUNDS AND RETRIEVE THE SUN. IF YOU WOULD BE ABLE TO WIRE $2000 TO MY BANK ACCOUNT, I WILL BE ABLE TO GIVE HIM THE MONEY TO RETURN THE GLORIOUS BRIGHT BALL OF LIGHT TO ITS PLACE IN THE HEAVENS."
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 10:16:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/11/2006 10:17:48 AM EDT by SWS]
↑↑↑

That's funny.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 10:16:52 AM EDT

Originally Posted By bastiat:

"GREATINGS GOOD SIR. YOUR NAME COMES TO ME OF THE HIGHEST REGARD AS A PERSON OF GREAT WEALTH AND INFLUENCE. I AM A PERSONAL REPRESENTATIVE OF GENERAL MBETTI MUMBOKO. THROUGH VARIOUS CIRCUMSTANCES THE GENERAL IS CURRENTLY IN POSSESSION OF THE SUN THAT HAS DISAPPEARED FROM THE SKY. HE DESIRES GREATLY TO RETURN THE SUN TO ITS RIGHTFUL PLACE AT GREAT PERSONAL EXPENSE TO HIMSELF, BUT ALL HIS FUNDS HAVE BEEN FROZEN BY MISTAKE AND HE REQUIRES SEVERAL THOUSAND DOLLARS TO UNFREEZE THOSE FUNDS AND RETRIEVE THE SUN. IF YOU WOULD BE ABLE TO WIRE $2000 TO MY BANK ACCOUNT, I WILL BE ABLE TO GIVE HIM THE MONEY TO RETURN THE GLORIOUS BRIGHT BALL OF LIGHT TO ITS PLACE IN THE HEAVENS."

OK, that's funny.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 10:20:19 AM EDT
The governors clique squad took it!

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 1:26:43 PM EDT

We have much to learn from Mother Africa....

Like how NOT to run a country, South Africa and Liberia are two PRIME examples
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 1:28:02 PM EDT

Bad juju.

Must kill white devil.

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 1:30:02 PM EDT
this kind of shit is why AIDS is such a problem over there. they think that it is caused by some demon/god being pissed off at them.

unless the people get some rudimentary education, the whole continent is DOOMED
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 1:37:22 PM EDT
Bush should just come forward, announce himself as the Great White Satan, and to demonstrate his powers, call upon an eclipse in Africa!

All tremble before the Great White Devil Bush!

Besides, he'll be blamed for it anyway.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 1:39:08 PM EDT
Hmmn. I remember once The_Macallan started a thread with this exact same name (albeit a different subject).

Hopefully this one lasts longer...........

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 1:45:19 PM EDT

Originally Posted By NonConformist:

Compared to Zimbabwe, those ARE shining examples.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 1:48:09 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Airwolf:

Information Minister Frank Nweke says an eclipse in 2001 caused riots in northern Borno state because people did not know why it happened.

Worst excuse for a riot ever.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:33:07 PM EDT

Originally Posted By DanishM1Garand:

Originally Posted By NonConformist:

Compared to Zimbabwe, those ARE shining examples.

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:06:01 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Napoleon_Tanerite:
this kind of shit is why AIDS is such a problem over there. they think that it is caused by some demon/god being pissed off at them.

ring ring pic up the clue phone. that continet has been fucked up for 5k years. My ancestors got the fuck out 305 years ago. moved to america boinked a white chick and now 300 years later he's got a bunch of cracka's running with his very african last name.

the only reason africans are still around is because ak-47s and the HIV can't kill them as fast as they breed.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:12:21 PM EDT

If you do not comply the Governor will dead you.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:17:35 PM EDT

Bad juju.

Must kill white devil.

I think I just made a little pee pee
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:28:30 PM EDT

Originally Posted By warlord:
The sun gods are unhappy.

We must make sacrifice..................... you wil do.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:29:18 PM EDT

No its not. Its because if you pay the whores more they dont require you to wear a condom.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:00:58 PM EDT

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:06:35 PM EDT

Originally Posted By julenissen:

Man, you don't need an excuse.

"On that day before we‘re through
We could torch a car or two"
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:16:13 PM EDT

Wait, we're making excuses now?!?
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:17:10 PM EDT

Originally Posted By darth_pavoris:

The only reason africans are still around is because ak-47s and the HIV can't kill them as fast as they breed.

One of the most politically incorrect statements I have seen in 2006.

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:29:28 PM EDT

If you ask African women how many children they want to have they are baffled. Virtually all will respond "as many as God will give me." The notion of family planning is completely foreign to them.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:57:58 PM EDT

unless the people get some rudimentary education,
the whole continent is DOOMED

fixed it for ya
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:05:37 PM EDT
I always wanted to spend a weekend with a few teenage hookers in liberia.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 9:37:27 PM EDT
Isn't Liberia the nation that was founded so former slaves from here could return to their native continent? Why are they still here? Is it because here is better than there could EVER be? That's probably politically incorrect, I'm sorry.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 1:19:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/12/2006 1:21:28 PM EDT by BlueCrusader]

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 1:26:02 PM EDT
No problem.

But if this

turns into this

then there could be trouble.

"The eclipse is not expected to have any real damaging effect...."
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 1:33:15 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Oslow:
They don't learn about the sun and the moon at the school where they learn about computers and con games?

It's easy to laugh at them but forget that not that long ago in the scheme of things there were people in this country that didn't understand. My grandad, who later became a surveyor and bridgebuilder, told me about one summer when he was 10. He said they were down by the creek playing one day when the sky got dark and they all ran for home.

He said they got home and the rest of the family was sitting in the kitchen. No one ever said a thing. When the sun came back out they all slowly got up and went about their business on the farm, still without ever saying anything.

This would have been around 1913 on a small farm in the-middle-of-no-where, Nebraska.

NMSight
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 1:36:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/12/2006 1:37:39 PM EDT by Old_Painless]
You know, modern technology has had its effects in Africa, just like the rest of the world.

In past thousands of years, disease, starvation, warfare between tribes, and man-eating animals kept the population of Africa fairly low. I read of hunters in long-past years tell of African women in those times that might have 10 or more children.......and none of them lived to adulthood.

Africa was a tough place to survive. Most did not make it.

Modern farming, medicines, and the like have turned the tables to a certain extent. Now, the deserts are expanding because of deforestation and increased poor farming practices. Modern arms are making poachers more successful and allowing entire species to be killed off in some areas of Africa. Populations are increasing.

But more people doesn't mean better conditions. Far from it. Suffering and misery are increasing, not decreasing.

Africa is a sad and horrible place for the poor people that live on the edge of civilization. I see no hope for a solution.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 1:47:28 PM EDT

Originally Posted By NMSight:

Originally Posted By Oslow:

It's easy to laugh at them but forget that not that long ago in the scheme of things there were people in this country that didn't understand. My grandad, who later became a surveyor and bridgebuilder, told me about one summer when he was 10. He said they were down by the creek playing one day when the sky got dark and they all ran for home.

He said they got home and the rest of the family was sitting in the kitchen. No one ever said a thing. When the sun came back out they all slowly got up and went about their business on the farm, still without ever saying anything.

Atleast they didn't start rioting. I can understand how people are surprised and scared when natural phenomenon they don't understand take place, but why the fuck do they start rioting? We would still be living in the stone age if that kind of behaviour was common.

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 1:53:08 PM EDT

Atleast they didn't start rioting. I can understand how people are surprised and scared when natural phenomenon they don't understand take place, but why the fuck do they start rioting? We would still be living in the stone age if that kind of behaviour was common.

And there you have it.

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 2:22:50 PM EDT
Ok, so this isn't going to happen in the U.S right?

Because I'm really starting to freak out!

Guys?

GM

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 2:44:12 PM EDT

Bad juju.

Must kill white devil.

Break out the Gimp, I'll get the spears...
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 2:48:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/12/2006 2:50:05 PM EDT by Gunplay]
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

We can laugh at their situation, make light of its abject horror, or we can make it better. Humans are humans, the difference is how they are brought up and subsequently governed.

We could educate them, we could get them birth control, we could kill the warlords, and we could transform the whole continent and we could make it a profitable endeavor to boot.

But people without compassion or humanity or knowledge of history would call that imperialism; as though we modern Americans are the same as the bigoted, European monarch, class system, assholes that tried to rape the world all those years ago. The same that insist that what we are doing in Iraq is evil and somehow oppressive. The same people that who act as though liberty and justice are an imposition.

The surest way to prevent future conflict and security threats is to spread freedom, education and our constitutional ideals, in addition to being the right thing to do. Africa seems to me like a perfect place to start.

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 3:02:07 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Gunplay:

We can laugh at their situation, make light of its abject horror, or we can make it better. Humans are humans, the difference is how they are brought up and subsequently governed.

We could educate them, we could get them birth control, we could kill the warlords, and we could transform the whole continent and we could make it a profitable endeavor to boot.

Africa seems to me like a perfect place to start.

Are you kidding? We're trying to do that in Iraq right now....minus the birth control thing....and the libtards on the left are going APESHIT.

BC
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 3:19:20 PM EDT

Originally Posted By BlueCrusader:

But people without compassion or humanity or knowledge of history would call that imperialism; as though we modern Americans are the same as the bigoted, European monarch, class system, assholes that tried to rape the world all those years ago. The same that insist that what we are doing in Iraq is evil and somehow oppressive. The same people that who act as though liberty and justice are an imposition.

The surest way to prevent future conflict and security threats is to spread freedom, education and our constitutional ideals, in addition to being the right thing to do. Africa seems to me like a perfect place to start.

Are you kidding? We're trying to do that in Iraq right now....minus the birth control thing....and the libtards on the left are going APESHIT.

BC

That's what I'm saying.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:17:46 PM EDT

What you are describing is kind of imperialism - because for it to work, we'd need to defeat, occupy and govern African Nations (with OUR type of government), and then try to change their culture and ideals to to that we have. I'm saying we'd have to defeat, occupy and govern them, because it would not work otherwise.

To be fair, I imagine that may match some definitions of "imperialism" - because it involves taking over other countries and trying to remake them in your image. I'm not saying some raging liberal self-serving definition of imperialism, but a more technical defintion of the word. Just because you don't call it an "Empire" - if you go around conquering other nations, governing them, and trying to impose your values and ideals on them, you pretty much are, IMHO.

And it still wouldn't work in Africa, and NOT because liberals at home would "go apeshit" but because modern Africa is so totally fucked up, that we couldn't help it if we wanted.

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:25:39 PM EDT
Molongo shuffles out of his mud and dung hut to catch a goat for the nights pleasure when he sees the sun eat the moon. "ooook ooook ooook", he screams as he flails his arms, pisses himself, and slings snot. Shuffles back into his mud and dung hut disheartened because he has to tug at himself yet again for the lack of some goat love.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:27:35 PM EDT

unless the people get some rudimentary education,
the whole continent is DOOMED

Fixed it for you.

-K
Top Top