Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/11/2006 8:49:10 AM EDT
I'm putting this in GD, it is also in home town, but it may not get seen by everyone there.  I just got off the phone with State Rep. Bobby Humphryes, a retired firefighter (not the football player). He will make an attempt to get the SBR law changed, as most of you know, SBRs are illegal in Alabama currently. He has tried before, but could not get the bill out of committee, the other Reps. didn't understand the NFA restrictions, or what a SBR was, most thought it would allow anyone to legally buy a sawed off shotgun at walmart, Rep Humphryes tried along with others to explain, but with no luck. Rep Humphryes is a friend to gun owners, and  shoots at the FOP range in his hometown of Pleasant Grove. He will be running for the county commision (Jefferson Co.) in the place of Mary Buckelew, so this is his last chance. When he has a bill number, I will post it. Everyone please contact your  Rep. and try to explain what an SBR is, and that they should vote for this, if it makes it to the house floor. He will present this bill next week to the committee, if it makes it out, it will come up for a vote.................Thanks everyone, Treeman
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 1:03:49 PM EDT
[#1]
The Black Caucaus will block it again. But it's worth a try.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 1:05:35 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Need to reinstitute the Poll Tax
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 1:07:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Best of luck to AL!!
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 1:08:49 PM EDT
[#4]
good luck guys!  with any luck, maybe you can get the coveted "F-" grade from the brady bunch!
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 1:10:08 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
good luck guys!  with any luck, maybe you can get the coveted "F-" grade from the brady bunch!

We have the top Brady rating now
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 1:10:39 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Need to reinstitute the Poll Tax

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 1:15:26 PM EDT
[#7]
A little background: the Black Caucaus attached an amendment to a bill for SBR's(iirc) once before that would allow blacks ONLY to be LEO's in this state even if they have felony convictions.

These guys have way to much power and hold the state back in so many ways.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 1:18:19 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
A little background: the Black Caucaus attached an amendment to a bill for SBR's(iirc) once before that would allow blacks ONLY to be LEO's in this state even if they have felony convictions.

But they're NOT racist
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 1:20:39 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

OMG
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 1:43:31 PM EDT
[#10]
The black caucus does carry a lot of weight in Montgomery, they will not hesitate to hold a bill hostage, to get a radical bill of their own passed. They have cost this state millions of dollars in federal highway money in the last few years. If they choose, no legislation would ever  come out of Montgomery. If anyone has anymore connections, please use them, Bobby will likely be elected to the county commission, he is a great friend of mine, we worked at the FD together for 12 yrs, before he retired, and if he wants to be a commisioner, I'm all for him, but this will be his last chance to get this introduced, and I don't know anyone else to ask, to re-introduce it, if it doesn't get passed this time. He said there was plenty of support for it, but the chosen few, who couldn't understand what  a sbr is, killed it. ie..BC Like he said, they all thought it would allow anyone to go to wally world, and buy a sawed off shotgun, they have no clue about, or how NFA firearms are regulated.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 10:05:57 PM EDT
[#11]
The legislature has been on spring break, this is the reason for no news. I spoke with Bobby today(Thur) The bill has been introduced, and is in judiciary committee. House bill 833. Bobby thought it had little, to no chance of getting out, unless their is a lot of support from the voters ie..calls, and emails etc.. Bobby said when this was brought up last year, a voice vote was taken, and the in favor vote obviously won, but the head of the judiciary said the no vote won. A roll call vote  was taken, and the for vote overwhelmingly won. Bobby also said the head of the judiciary, is an anti gun lib, who will do all he can to kill this. If you know anyone, or could call your rep. please do so. Also, Steve Turner is running for the seat Bobby currently holds. Bobby is running for the County commision (Jefferson), Steve will try, if elected, to bring this up next year. I can't remember the district, but it covers the north side of Jefferson County. Steve is also a friend of mine, and is pro gun. Please consider voting for them both, in their respected races, and make the calls, and send emails to your reps, it is the only way we will ever get the sbr laws changed in Bama. Thanks...Treeman
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top