Member Login
Posted: 3/11/2006 7:11:09 AM EDT
Which guy was "tougher" in real life?
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:17:48 AM EDT
Chuck Norris
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:18:19 AM EDT
I don't know, but I like Wayne better.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:21:19 AM EDT
Johnny Cash did time, and in his day he seemed like a real badass. I have never heard any stories of "The Duke" being a badass off camera.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:22:33 AM EDT

Originally Posted By dalesimpson:
Johnny Cash did time, and in his day he seemed like a real badass. I have never heard any stories of "The Duke" being a badass off camera.

+1

Both are pretty awesome icons.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:22:45 AM EDT
The Duke was an actor. Johnny was the real deal.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:42:14 AM EDT
WAS Johnnie Cash the Real Deal? He was a musician after all.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:00:45 AM EDT
I was wrong about Johnny Cash doing time.

From Wikipedia:

Although he carefully cultivated a romantic outlaw image, many fans are surprised to learn that he never served a prison sentence, although he landed in jail seven times for misdemeanors, each stay lasting a single night.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:13:45 AM EDT

Originally Posted By moparman71:
The Duke was an actor. Johnny was the real deal.

Hell yeah!
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:27:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/11/2006 8:27:54 AM EDT by Painter]
I'll bet on the Duke
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:39:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/11/2006 8:39:34 AM EDT by VTHOKIESHOOTER]
Toss up

BTW I saw Walk The Line 2 nights ago. GREAT MOVIE!
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:43:40 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:49:27 AM EDT
Johnny Cash was an overrated drug addicted douche.

John Wayne would have kicked the shit out of him.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:51:15 AM EDT

Originally Posted By stangleonthedangle:

Keep telling yourself that.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 9:01:07 AM EDT

Holy crap.

Johnny Cash had turds bigger then John Wayne
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 9:06:32 AM EDT
Cash all the way !
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 9:09:34 AM EDT
Which was a tougher punk?

Wayne was a sissy actor who was really named Marion and never served a day in the service. He did pretend to be tough for a living.

Cash was a drunken, dope using musician. Probably pretty tough for a guy who sang for his supper, but not tough in any other area.

So which pretend tough guy was the tougher of the two PRETEND tough guys?????? My 83y/o dad was a paratrooper in WWII and served in the Israeli Special Forces. He could have folded both of them into shoe boxes when he was younger.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 9:13:52 AM EDT
Misc trivia for John Wayne:

An entry in the logbook of director John Ford's yacht "Araner", during a voyage along the Baja peninsula, made a reference to one of Wayne's pranks on Ward Bond: "Caught the first mate [Wayne] pissing in [Ward] Bond's flask this morning - must remember to give him a raise."

He and his drinking buddy, actor Ward Bond, frequently played practical jokes on each other. In one incident, Bond bet Wayne that they could stand on opposite sides of a newspaper and Wayne wouldn't be able to hit him. Bond set a sheet of newspaper down in a doorway, Wayne stood on one end, and Bond slammed the door in his face, shouting "Try and hit me now!" Wayne responded by sending his fist through the door, flooring Bond (and winning the bet).

His favorite drink was Sauza Commemorativo Tequila, and often served it with ice that he had chipped from an iceberg during one of his voyages on his yacht, "The Wild Goose".

The evening before a shoot he was trying to get some sleep in a Las Vegas hotel. The suite directly below his was that of Frank Sinatra (never a good friend of Wayne), who was having a party. The noise kept Wayne awake, and each time he made a complaining phone call it quieted temporarily but each time eventually grew louder. Wayne at last appeared at Sinatra's door and told Frank to stop the noise. A Sinatra bodyguard of Wayne's size approached saying, "Nobody talks to Mr. Sinatra that way." Wayne looked at the man, turned as though to leave, then backhanded the bodyguard, who fell to the floor, where Wayne knocked him out by crashing a chair on top of him. The party noise stopped.

He once made a cameo appearance on "The Beverly Hillbillies" (1962) and when asked how he wanted to be paid, replied, "Give me a fifth of bourbon - that'll square it."

While making The Barbarian and the Geisha (1958), he apparently became so enraged with director John Huston (who was something of a tough guy himself and was nearly as tall as Wayne but not as massive) that he throttled and punched him out. It is unknown what Huston did to earn the beating, but the director was known to have a mean streak. Wayne later re-enacted the incident for Peter Bogdanovich, who was somewhat terrified to be used as a substitute for Huston.

Posthumously awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the nation's highest civilian award, by President Jimmy Carter in 1980.

During the filming of The Undefeated (1969), he fell from his horse and fractured three ribs. He couldn't work for almost two weeks. Then he tore a ligament in his shoulder and couldn't use one arm at all. The director, Andrew V. McLaglen, could only film him from an angle for the rest of the picture. His only concern throughout was not to disappoint his fans, despite being in terrible pain.

In 1974, with the Vietnam war still continuing, The Harvard Lampoon invited Wayne to The Harvard Square Theater to award him the "Brass Balls Award " for his " Outstanding machismo and a penchant for punching people". Wayne accepted and arrived riding atop an armored personnel carrier manned by the "Black Knights" of Troop D, Fifth Regiment. Wayne took the stage and ad-libbed his way through a series of derogatory questions with adroitness, displaying a agile wit that completely won over the audience of students.

Along with Charlton Heston, Wayne turned down the role of General Stillwell in Steven Spielberg's 1941 (1979), owing to the fact that he felt the film was an insult to World War II veterans, and due to his own declining health.

Johnny Cash was just a singing drug addict
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 9:19:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/11/2006 9:23:33 AM EDT by Ar15-sweety]

First a douche is something some of us women use after our monthly visitor. Second Johnny Cash and John Wayne should not be compaired iwth each other they are both great men in my book. I have to say that is one of the worst things that I have herd anyone say about "The Legend Johnny Cash". Unless you new him personaly and do not like him becouse of that then that is your opnion but you shouldn't say thos thing just because you do not like his music or what ever reason it is that you feel you need to call him that. Johnny never tried to be a bad ass he was a bad ass the type that was gentil and caring who loved his wife, family, and GOD. If my grandmother had herd that coment she would turn over in her grave.
You Sir, Are A F@#%ing Morron!!!!!!!!

P.S. As far as one taking the other that would never happen cause they would join forces to kick Chuck Norris's ASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

EDIT: So what if he did smoke a little grass who has not in there life he had a lot of things going on in his life so what if he did do drugs he stopped and was clean for most of his later years in life.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 10:28:20 AM EDT
Johnny Cash wasnt even half the man John Wayne was..

I never liked Johnny Cash

John Wayne gets my vote
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 11:22:54 AM EDT
Wayne did act in his last film while dying of lung cancer.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 11:25:06 AM EDT
Can we agree both are great American Icons.....Flaws included?
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 11:28:10 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Goonboss:

I can drink to that.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 11:29:10 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 11:30:32 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Max_Mike:
Chuck Norris

Wrong Chuck. Chuck Conners
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 11:31:17 AM EDT

+1. That's what I was thinking. Good thread, though.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 11:31:50 AM EDT

Originally Posted By vito113:
John Wayne is now a Gay icon……

Johhny Cash is not a Gay icon……

Nuff said…

Huh?

I must've missed that memo.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 11:32:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/11/2006 11:37:34 AM EDT by Hiwathl]
Both had there Demons and a part of American History none the less I consider Both are Heroes
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 11:36:08 AM EDT

Nuff said…

Hey, Brits don't have a say in this one.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 11:46:12 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 11:48:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/11/2006 11:56:45 AM EDT by w4klr]

Originally Posted By NoVaGator:

Johnny Cash had turds bigger then John Wayne

John Wayne's tp couldnt handle Cash's Ring of Fire
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 11:56:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/11/2006 11:56:32 AM EDT by vito113]
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 12:22:59 PM EDT

Nuff said…

Huh?

look up 'John Wayne is big leggy'… by HAYSI FANTAYZEE

i2.tinypic.com/r86vkk.gif

www.deadoralive.net/haysimp3/johnwayne.mp3

Co-opting hardly means "icon"
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 12:27:11 PM EDT
Both of them were a carefully cultivated IMAGE with little basis in reality.

Cash had the outlaw rebel image, but never did time, nor was he ever in much trouble with the law beyone a few little scuffles.

Wayne had the all around cowboy badass image, but he was an ACTOR
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 12:32:14 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Napoleon_Tanerite:

Cash had the outlaw rebel image, but never did time, nor was he ever in much trouble with the law beyone a few little scuffles.

True.

Impct as an icon on a culture can't be overlooked.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 12:44:46 PM EDT

Sure some of it was image making, but who among the currect crop of celebs are anywhere near their league? Metrosexuals most of them. If they aren't physically weak they are liberalized pansies.

Vin Diesel? nah.

Maybe The Rock, but that is about all I can think of.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 12:44:50 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 12:48:23 PM EDT

Originally Posted By AyeGuy:

Sure some of it was image making, but who among the currect crop of celebs are anywhere near their league? Metrosexuals most of them. If they aren't physically weak they are liberalized pansies.

Vin Diesel? nah.

Maybe The Rock, but that is about all I can think of.

Very few people on this board have any idea how much punishment you take
as a professional wrestler. It's easier to make fun.

Suffice it to say, "The Rock" is a tough mofo...For real.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:26:22 PM EDT

Nuff said…

Gays will make anything that's good they can into something bad. Rainbows,Scooby Doo, etc.

Just because they claim it, doesn't make it theirs
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:29:44 PM EDT

Originally Posted By cmjohnson:
Both were good men.

I would never debate that either of them were good men, because they were. My point is that they were both a product of their marketing, and were not, in real life, who they appeared to be on TV/movies/music.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:33:08 PM EDT
Johnny Cash
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:35:43 PM EDT
John Wayne killed more Indians than small pox, Johnny Cash just sang about them,

still like Cash's music.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:46:35 PM EDT
In the old days we'd argue over who was hotter, MaryAnne or Ginger. Now you all argue over which guy is more cool

I think you're all gay.

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:49:59 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Ndenway:
John Wayne killed more Indians than small pox, Johnny Cash just sang about them,

still like Cash's music.

i'd venture to say that John Wayne and Johnny Cash killed an equal number of indians
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:56:12 PM EDT
Well, today's "rappers" are mean and angry in real life...but "tough"?

Maybe in gangs against a single victim.

No, there are no Real Men in the media to serve as role models for young men today.

No wonder Gen Xers paint their fingernails black

I for one welcome our new Muslim or Chinese overlords.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:07:59 PM EDT
one indian that John cash didn't kill was " the ballad of Ira Hayes"., who just may have been a footnote in history if cash hadn't sung about him. And John cash had the balls to perform several times in Folsom and San Quentin prisons. he witnessed his 14 year old brother die on his death bed, when he was like 10-11. he certainly wasn't born with a silver spoon in his mouth, picking cotton is one of the hardest jobs there is and he did it as a child to contribute to the family income.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:18:56 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Stealth:
In the old days we'd argue over who was hotter, MaryAnne or Ginger. Now you all argue over which guy is more cool

I think you're all gay.

MaryAnne for a wife, Ginger for most everything else.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:47:20 PM EDT

Originally Posted By CitizenSoldier:

Originally Posted By Stealth:

I think you're all gay.

MaryAnne for a wife, Ginger for most everything else.

That's what I'm talking' about.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:00:51 PM EDT
Johnny was an "outlaw" because he sang the music he wanted to instead of what people told him to or what nashville thought would sell at the time. Johnny also hated to be labled into a Genre and had hit pop and country songs. Later in life he also worked with Rick Rubin.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:42:14 PM EDT

Nuff said…

Huh?

look up 'John Wayne is big leggy'… by HAYSI FANTAYZEE

i2.tinypic.com/r86vkk.gif

www.deadoralive.net/haysimp3/johnwayne.mp3

OMG... my eyes.

The is a very warm place in hell for you.
Top Top