Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/11/2006 6:53:49 AM EDT
Last night my wife and I got pulled over for 70 in a 55 zone. She was driving, and the speed limit had just changed. Office walks up, gets reg and proof of insurance. Warning issued. He was nice.

I was wondering, after he runs my plate, what does he know?
Does he know that I have a Michigan CCW and may be armed?
Does he know my occupation?

Thanks!

BT
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:55:01 AM EDT
In MI do you have to inform LEO that you are armed?

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:57:47 AM EDT
It's a secret.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:59:51 AM EDT
In my day the only thing we got was your address, plate status and whether or not the vehicle is stolen. I have read in some areas it will tell you if the owner has a ccw permit.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:16:44 AM EDT
LEIN has a lot of information, and yes it will tell you if the subject has a CCW. Dosn't include employment.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:18:50 AM EDT
We have access to everything that you've ever done and/or thought. We know your pants size, mother's maiden name, and the names you have picked out for your future children. It's amazing what you can get with just a license plate!!!!

Seriously though. In most states, the information that comes back on the car is the make model and such, plus the Name, SSN, and address of the registered owner. Also, if the car is/has been reported stolen, that will come back as well.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:26:13 AM EDT
Usually confirmation of of License being curent, registration being current, Some states whether you have a CCW.

In my state where i'm a state constable and had NO markings of such on my vehicle and i never showed him my credentials, the Trooper came back up to my window handed me the citation and said "Have a nice day Constable" so obviously they recieve information on whther you are a peace officer or not.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:29:46 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Bama-Shooter:
In my day the only thing we got was your address, plate status and whether or not the vehicle is stolen. I have read in some areas it will tell you if the owner has a ccw permit.

This is true in Virginia.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:34:27 AM EDT

Originally Posted By XDBACKUPGUN:
In MI do you have to inform LEO that you are armed?

I think it comes up on their computer if you have a CCW permit. In every CCW class I've been in they've always said to let the LEO know whether you're packing at that time or not because they'll think you're hiding something if you don't mention it.

Maybe silly, maybe not. I haven't been pulled over in the 3 years I've had my permit so I've never had to test it.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:37:55 AM EDT
Supposedly in Colorado, a CCW will show up as a "person of interest", but I have heard different stories from different police departments.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:53:18 AM EDT
Speaking for Texas only. Plate returns have three sections on 1 page. TCIC, NCIC and Registration. TCIC shows whether it was reported stolen in Texas. NCIC shows whether it is reported by an agency out of state. It shows this only of course if it stolen, otherwise it's basically blank. Registration shows month/year of registration expiration. Year, Make, Model(shortened to NCIC/TCIC codes) VIN, owner name and address, lein information if it still being paid on. It has a lot of other stuff there but it is nothing pertaining to the owner info or mean anything to us. It's a bunch numbers and crap the title offices use.

The only thing that shows whether someone has a carry permit in Texas is if we run your name/dob specifically. It comes back similar to a DL return along with your DL return. Doesn't show "person of intrest" or anything like that. We make sure it is valid(not expired) along with the DL and advise the Officer the person has a clear DL expires XX date and clear carry permit expires XX date.

Criminal histories and jail jackets on the other hand.....Well if you've ever been to jail anywhere in a state participating in III and we run a criminal history I can tell you what tattoo you have on your asscrack. Jail jacket is the same way. Criminal histories are heavily regulated. Forms have to be filled out. Log book has to filled out. If the officer, detective whoever doesn't keep it we have to destroy it(shred it) immediately. You have to list officer name, our(dispatcher) name, reason for needing criminal history etc on the computer screen before we even get it. If the officer picks it up they have to sign both the forms we fill out and the log book. The state comes in once a year and audits the log books to make sure they are kosher. We even have teletype logs which is a form type paper that we have to write down each and everything we run on teletype. Whether it's city, county, JP files, TCIC, NCIC or INTERPOL. They can audit those too if they want.

I had an entire 1 day class on what not to do, what to do, how long I can go to state or federal prison for abusing the information that be gotten on teletype.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:02:00 AM EDT
Thanks you guys.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:11:11 AM EDT
if you have ever been caught masturbating

oppps - wrong thread
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:14:58 AM EDT
In Oklahoma we get your banking account #'s and pins, all the times and dates your wife will be home alone, and the combonations to your gun safes.

Along with tag # XXX XXX comes back to a 78 plymoth 4 door to a BlueTommy of MI USA, Experation 2/2006, negative NCIC (stolen)(bolos)
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:17:59 AM EDT
any ky police officers know for ky.

good question, i've wondered that myself
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:21:04 AM EDT
Owers of the vehicle
If their a lein on the car
If its stolen
make, model, year
address
When your tag expires month and year
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:25:53 AM EDT
Commonly available info:

NAME (incl. previous names such a maiden name)
LICENSE PICTURE
SEX
HEIGHT
WEIGHT
DOB
­LIC# or SS#
ADDRESS(es)
LICENSE STATUS (incl. previous license#s from other states)
REGISTRATION STATUS (and info on vehicles registered in your name or at your address)
VEH. INSURANCE
DRIVING HISTORY RECORDS
CRIMINAL HISTORY RECORDS
PREVIOUS/CURRENT RESTRAINING ORDERS
LICENSE TO CARRY (and/or weapons registered)

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:42:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/11/2006 8:43:10 AM EDT by justice23]
In RI we get...

Vehicle info make, model,color, VIN, registered owner's name and address.

RILETS and NCIC to see if the car is reported stolen in RI or nationially.

The computer program my laptop runs also runs the registered owner for license status, driving history, and warrants(local and national).

If I want to know if someone has a CCW permit I have to run their "rap sheet" or BCI as we call it here. They put that type of data (CCW or redtraining orders) on their BCI.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:43:43 AM EDT
I know a guy in Northern California (Silicon Valley) who did ride-alongs as a member of the community police academy. He said that whenever the LEOs would check a license plate or street address, a list of guns owned would show up on the laptop in the cruiser.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:57:09 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Hipster:
I know a guy in Northern California (Silicon Valley) who did ride-alongs as a member of the community police academy. He said that whenever the LEOs would check a license plate or street address, a list of guns owned would show up on the laptop in the cruiser.

Possible. Handguns are registered by make, model, serial #, etc. here. Long guns, however, are not. You do a DROS (Dealer Record Of Sale) on a long gun, and all DOJ knows is that you bought a gun. There can be as many long guns as you like, and there's only one DROS form, and they don't have any idea what it is.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 9:00:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/11/2006 9:00:53 AM EDT by DienBienPhu54]
would they know if you were a former SEAL / SF ?

in the movie FIRST BLOOD they ran John Rambo's name on the tele-type and found out he was a former

green beret

winner of the congressional medal of honor
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 9:11:01 AM EDT
In my state we get the vehicle yr and make, but not model. The Vin number. Date the registration expires. the registered owners name and address, but not DOB. Also checks to see if the vehicle is stoeln, if there are warrants associated to the vehicle and if so, is the warrant for the R/O and has the vehciel been recently towed or impounded.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 9:15:11 AM EDT
Why would the info include liens on the vehicle?

TIA
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 9:20:44 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Bitmap:

TIA

As stated above somewhere, yes in some states.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 11:16:16 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Blue_Monkey:
Commonly available info:

NAME (incl. previous names such a maiden name)
LICENSE PICTURE
SEX
HEIGHT
WEIGHT
DOB
­LIC# or SS#
ADDRESS(es)
LICENSE STATUS (incl. previous license#s from other states)
REGISTRATION STATUS (and info on vehicles registered in your name or at your address)
VEH. INSURANCE
DRIVING HISTORY RECORDS
CRIMINAL HISTORY RECORDS
PREVIOUS/CURRENT RESTRAINING ORDERS
LICENSE TO CARRY (and/or weapons registered)

In MA? Are you sure? The LEO who ran my LTC certification class said, "If you ever get pulled over, DON'T tell the officer you are carrying or have guns in the car. You'll just give him more things to worry about if you do."
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 3:25:31 PM EDT

TIA

I've never heard a reason why it's there. I would suspect it is for the title office more so than law enforcement. I've never had to give lein info at all nor do I pay attention to it. The only thing I look for is whether it's stolen, whether it's expired and make sure it's the correct plates for the vehicle.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 3:30:15 PM EDT

TIA

The NCIC/FCIC system is not only used by law enforcement, but also by our DMV. They might need that information.

When I run a tag, I get:
Registered owner(s) name and DL
Address
Insurance policy # and company
Whether the vehicle is stolen

I run the DL to get any personal info I need, since it's not on the tag.
Top Top