Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/11/2006 12:59:41 AM EDT
Muslims rally here to decry cartoons
Local coalition says drawings of prophet 'an insult,' but also says now is no time for hate
By BARBARA KARKABI
Houston Chronicle
March 11, 2006
www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/headline/metro/3716308.html
More than 100 Muslim men, women and children rallied Friday at City Hall to praise the Prophet Muhammad as a peaceful man and to criticize Danish cartoons portraying him as violent.

Organizers said they wanted Houstonians to understand who Muhammad was and what he means to Muslims.

"On the one hand (the cartoons) are an insult, like a punch in the stomach," said Hyder Ali Syed, a pharmacist and one of the organizers of Houston's Muslims for Peace and Justice, a newly formed coalition.

"On the other hand, the reverence we have for him stems from the fact that he taught us a way of life and all the positives that you can imagine," Syed said. "He reformed society and brought in so many changes for the good."

The coalition includes the Islamic Education Center, the Al-Ghadeer Education Foundation and Al-Murtaza. Participants, who included both Sunni and Shiite Muslims, chanted and marched around City Hall with signs bearing such slogans as "Islam Frees the Soul," "Please Draw Carefully — We (heart) Our Prophet" and "Abraham, Noah, Moses, Jesus, Muhammad — peace be upon them."

Protests over the cartoons swept the Islamic world in January and early February. Syed said they had discussed a local protest earlier, but were spurred into action by the Feb. 22 bombing of the Al-Askariya Mosque in Samarra, Iraq.

"We had one insult to our holy personality the prophet and now the mosque, where the descendants of the prophet are buried is destroyed," he explained.

But he told the gathering that it was not the time for animosity. Muslims need to encourage understanding between religions and be calm and open-minded, he said.

The peaceful, educational event ended with prayer after five speakers. Fliers about Islam were distributed, as well as translations of the Quran.

"We respect freedom of speech, BUT there has to be guidelines followed that respect other religions, whether Muslim, Christian or Jewish," said Fatima Ali, a woman who attended the rally. "There is so much conflict and distrust, the world is not a friendly place. We all need to take care not to push people to the limit and to try not to do things that might hurt others."
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 1:43:57 AM EDT
[#1]
They're sure coming out of the woodwork, aren't they.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 1:44:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Maybe we should start calling it "reasonably free speech", or maybe "free speech lite"?
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 2:15:32 AM EDT
[#3]
I was working fairly close to there yesterday and I didn't hear a thing about it.  Probably would have been worth driving by and giving them the one fingered salute if I knew they were there.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 2:18:28 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I was working fairly close to there yesterday and I didn't hear a thing about it.  Probably would have been worth driving by and giving them the one fingered salute if I knew they were there.

Just a stick figure drawing of <comment removed by Arfcom dept of "don't even think about it"> in your side window would probably do the trick
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 2:23:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Allahpeanutbuttersandwiches!!!!

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 2:46:58 AM EDT
[#6]
So?  All she's saying is that the press should have a little respect for people's religious beliefs.

I seem to recall more than a few Christians bitching about how anti-religious the media is.  Especially Catholics who were pissed off that the media didn't ignore their priests buggering the altar boys a couple of years ago. . . .
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 2:57:00 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
So?  All she's saying is that the press should have a little respect for people's religious beliefs.

I seem to recall more than a few Christians bitching about how anti-religious the media is.  Especially Catholics who were pissed off that the media didn't ignore their priests buggering the altar boys a couple of years ago. . . .

Uh, huh, and the Catholics didn't catch a break on that, did they?

C'mon, this has to be one of the MOST obvious slippery slopes in the history of mankind

If people are unable to criticize religions they might as well be REQUIRED to participate in them
isn't that the defacto effect of making it "against the rules" to make negative comments about them?

I'm not going to go into someone's place of worship and yell "your religion is evil"
but, I should be allowed to interview or publish anything true\opinion, shouldn't I?

And, you wouldn't believe what my muslim friends told me about free speech(NOT)in the m east
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 3:26:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Boo Fucking hoo! A cartoon hurt their feelings, so now they want to restrict freedom of speech! I hear that in "input middle east country here" you don't have to worry about such things, as freedom of speech is very much regulated. Maybe they should go there!
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 3:36:00 AM EDT
[#9]
They're not upset about the cartoons.

They're upset that in this country they can't get away with beheading those who print them.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 3:36:29 AM EDT
[#10]
I wish I could draw.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 3:44:29 AM EDT
[#11]
What about them pushing the rest of us to the limits? I know it doesn't matter,we're not MUSLIM.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 4:16:57 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

In case you 'forgot':

Bill of Rights

Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 4:28:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Funny, last time I checked, protesting with signs and placards is "free speech."

The same free speech the muzzies want to eliminate for the rest of us.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 4:32:06 AM EDT
[#14]
I guess kicking everyone else out of Mecca was non-violent.. ?
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 4:37:13 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Just wait till Civil War 2 happens.

GR
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 4:40:40 AM EDT
[#16]
One of the most startling things about the outcry about those stupid cartoons is how mild and tame they are.  Just keep in mind who's out of line and in the wrong when you see how Muslims reacted to those stupid fucking cartoons.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 4:47:31 AM EDT
[#17]
I think cooking a pig in the middle of their bitch session is perfectly legal.  You know, one of those big cookers you tow behind the pick-up truck?  I can't imagine they'd hang around too long...
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:02:26 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I think cooking a pig in the middle of their bitch session is perfectly legal.  You know, one of those big cookers you tow behind the pick-up truck?  I can't imagine they'd hang around too long...

Mmmmmm.........PORK
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:10:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:19:35 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
"On the one hand (the cartoons) are an insult, like a punch in the stomach," said Hyder Ali Syed,

No idiot - a cartoon is a cartoon and a punch in the stomach is like a punch in the stomach.

Equating words with an action is what little children do, not rational adults.

If the cartoons are like a punch in the stomach, the Koran is like a dagger to the throat. So if you want others to stop expressing THEIR opinion of Islam - stop expressing YOUR opinion of Islam too you asshole.

Quoted:
"On the other hand, the reverence we have for him stems from the fact that he taught us a way of life and all the positives that you can imagine," Syed said. "He reformed society and brought in so many changes for the good."

NOTHING of any value has come from the Islamic culture in over a thousand years - not a single one.

Quoted:
Fliers about Islam were distributed, as well as translations of the Quran.

I'm offended.

So where's an embassy that I can burn down?

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:20:46 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Aren't they?
This summer could get very, very interesting.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:22:11 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

"We respect freedom of speech, BUT there has to be guidelines followed that respect other religions, whether Muslim, Christian or Jewish," said Fatima Ali, a woman who attended the rally. "There is so much conflict and distrust, the world is not a friendly place. We all need to take care not to push people to the limit and to try not to do things that might hurt others."

I take it the text of the US Constitution completely bypassed this fine persons brain cells?

I don't think Fatima Ali has bothered to read it
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:22:55 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

No, the world is not a friendly place. GET USED TO IT AND GET A LIFE.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:22:59 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
So where's an embassy mosque that I can burn down?

If they nip this shit in the bud now, it'll be easier to handle later.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:37:19 PM EDT
[#25]
I've had this fight with a few of the muslims I know.
Reactions about the cartoons ranged from "Meh" to "I don't like it, but there is a free press" to "we are peaceful people, so respect us or we cut your head off"
The 2 Saudis (I call 'em Rowdy Saudis...they don't like it ) tried to tell me that free speech is not free speech when it hurts someone elses feelings, and that it is on par with violence.
Gimme a break.
I explained that this is America, and that if they didn't like it, they should write a letter, or hold a vigil. Furthermore, I said, don't talk shit about tolerance, until it is legal to own a Bible in Saudi Arabia.
They didn't like it, but fuck 'em.
The moroccans, the eyptians, and the omanis understood my point.
The Saudis - as usual - were the assholes.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:38:51 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Them and the Illegals

Probably signs that things are coming to a head
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:45:10 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mmmmmm.........PORK

SMELLS LIKE VICTORY!
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:05:58 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I take it the text of the US Constitution completely bypassed this fine persons brain cells?

Guess they figured that since the government has already violated all of the Constitution and restricted freedoms, mine as well get what restrictions they want.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:15:34 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm sick of people from 3rd world slums who come here and tell us how we should live. The Hell with them. The hell with the illegals that marched in Chicago yesterday and the hell with the politicians that support them.

If they don't like our way of life, tell them to move to Somalia.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:16:22 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I'm sick of people from 3rd world slums who come here and tell us how we should live. The Hell with them. The hell with the illegals that marched in Chicago yesterday and the hell with the politicians that support them.

If they don't like our way of life, tell them to move to Somalia.

Like it or not, they have the right to change things here if they can get enough votes to support their position.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:21:45 PM EDT
[#31]
I don't care who Muhammad was.  I don't care if he was peaceful or not.

What I care about is that big hole in the ground where the World Trade Center was.

I know it's cliche now and I know it sounds funny coming from someone who's a student of history (as I am), but it needs to be said again.  "All I need to know about Muslims I learned on 9/11".

If they think they can undo 9/11 with a march demanding respect, let them do it.  I've got my own ideas on how to deliver my respect to them.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:38:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:44:02 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Them and the Illegals

Probably signs that things are coming to a head

About time, lets get it over with
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:34:38 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

True muslims don't recognize the Constitution or Bill of Rights. There is only islam to them. Not making a joke, this is a fact. They only "follow" our laws until it doesn't suit them or unless it goes against Sharia law.

Oh yeah, there always a but and it's usually a BIG one! These muslims are sounding more like the liberals everyday. Next thing you know the democrats will be wining and dining the muslims to get their vote.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:24:42 PM EDT
[#35]
2 words that express my beliefs about any situation reguarding "them" and their problems:  Mass Deportation
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:42:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Wheres the press when we try to defend Christianity?
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:47:20 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Wheres the press when we try to defend Christianity?

Fighting for the other side?
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 10:47:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Let 'em protest. In their OWN fuckin' country. They either need to get the fuck out of my country or get with the program, as far as I'm concerned...
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 10:57:16 PM EDT
[#39]
I call these fools the "Jennifer Lopez" people. Cause everytime they give an explaination about their Horseshit they ALWAYS GOT A BIG BUTT! "yeah we have freedom of speech BUT", "Yeah Terrorism is wrong BUT", "islam opresses their women BUT", "I don't want to kill you BUT", "Sure SHE WAS ONLY 9 YEARS OLD BUT!"
Hey asshole shove your Buts up your Butt!  just like the lezzers do!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top