Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/10/2006 8:17:35 PM EDT
So my girlfriends car was broken into last week and the piece of shit made off with over $300 worth of stuff.  I figured he would be back at some point to see if he could get another score so I setup a video camera.  The camera is hooked up to my computer and records any time it detects motion.  Only thing is they don't work that well at night especially in low light situations.  Well tonight I was watching TV and then get ready to go out and meet a friend at 10pm.  As habit I always check the video files to see what happend.  Well around 8:30pm some POS comes walking up the driveway with a flashlight, it's not needed as there are plenty of lights around to see to walk.  He acts like he is just walking and follows the curb, then his flashlight changes direction and lights up my truck, then it turns as he looks towards my house, after looking at my house he quickly changes direction and heads straight towards my truck.  There is glare on the window since my camera is inside and I cann't see what he is doing for a bit, then I see his light shine down the bed of my truck, after that he scans the rest of the parking lot looking for other cars, then promptly turns around, heads back the way he came, and turns off his light.  grrrr  I wish that piece of shit would do it when I'm around.

Here's the video.  It's dark so I can't see shit about who it is but judging from the height, build, and walk it looks like a younger kid probably in highschool.  My truck is far left almost out of frame, the glare hides it.  media.putfile.com/Truck-Being-Cased

What is interesting is this happend around 8:30pm as I left my house at 10pm there were 3 people standing on the corner, one had a jacked up pickup truck, and they all stared at me as I pulled out.  It was dark where they were at and I couldn't get a good look at them but they would be my first suspects as they are the only kids around for several blocks.  By 11:10pm when I returned home they were gone.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:21:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Got a faster server for that MPG?
Its d-loading at slower-than-dialup speeds (~5KB/Sec)
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:23:56 PM EDT
[#2]
One word solution.....

CLAYMORE!

It's the only way to be sure.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:24:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Hand your file over to the police.  I'm sure they'd like to have it for evidence.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:26:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I hate petty crime. Sory... call the cops. What else ya gonna do? What ever you decide dont post it here.

I would get a big ass motion sensitive flood light on the front of my home.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:26:55 PM EDT
[#5]
WIMP!

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:28:35 PM EDT
[#6]
motion sensor lights that will hit your vehicles where you park them.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:30:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Its sort of hard to tell what's going on but you can definently tell some guy is walking around your place with a flashlight..You can also tell he's looking for something...not just some guy walking his dog..hmmm...I would notify the police in case it turns into something..especially if you eventually have to take action..
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:27:58 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm already planning on putting up a large flood light to light up the entire area due to the theft from my girlfriends car.  I also plan on putting up motion sensors on the sides of the house.

I sure hope the Kentucky Senate moves quick to pass the Florida style self defense bill with castle doctrine that the House just passed.  Right now the punks are just targeting vehicles but their next step would be houses.

Kentucky will be setting a new bar for justified self defense if we get this law passed as is.  Here's the current version.

A person is presumed to have held a reasonable fear of imminent peril of death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another when using defensive force that is intended or likely to cause death or great bodily harm to another if:
(a) The person against whom the defensive force was used was in the process of unlawfully and forcibly entering or had unlawfully and forcibly entered a dwelling, residence, or occupied vehicle, or if that person had removed or was attempting to remove another against that person's will from the dwelling, residence, or occupied vehicle; and
(b) The person who uses defensive force knew or had reason to believe that an unlawful and forcible entry or unlawful and forcible act was occurring or had occurred.
(4) A person who unlawfully and by force enters or attempts to enter a person's dwelling, residence, or occupied vehicle is presumed to be doing so with the intent to commit an unlawful act involving force or violence.

So if some POS simply tries to break into a home the citizens of Kentucky would have legal right and protection to shoot the son of a bitch.  Now if they could just remove the word "occupied" from in front of vehicle and Kentucky would have a law close to what Texas has.

Wow, I just found this out about Kentucky law.  I guess I will be ordering that ASP baton after all.  

(1) The use of physical force by a defendant upon another person is justifiable when the defendant believes that such force is immediately necessary to prevent:
(b) Theft, criminal mischief, or any trespassory taking of tangible, movable property in his possession or in the possession of another person for whose protection he acts.

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:37:59 PM EDT
[#9]
I wanna see the vid dammit!  The vid won't even come up.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:40:49 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

right click and select ''save target as''
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:45:07 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

right click and select ''save target as''

It's only trying to save as an HTM file
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:57:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Here's a link that will work but if too many of you hit it at once it will get very slow.

68.209.169.58/Cam_night_looking_at_my_truck.mpeg

I think I have figured out who it is.  Using some previous footage of people walking by and comparing it to footage of myself for a size comparison the person is close to 6' tall and very skinny...just like the neighbor walking through my yard in my previous thread.  Stay tuned and I will post some comparison updates.  Now this guy does have a dog that he lets run without a leash.  It is slightly possible he was looking for his dog and I'm sure that is what he would tell the cops but he sure didn't look very hard if that is what his excuse is going to be.  I doubt the police will do anything with a hunch and some grainy video but I might call them tomorrow and see about it.  I have a couple contacts with the county but this is city and the two agencies don't get along very well.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:59:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks!  DLing right now.  I kinda remember that creepy guy with the dog, so let me look.....
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:03:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Damn, too much background light from inside.  Kinda odd for someone casing to be so obvious with a flashlight.  It does look like it could be that guy looking for his damn dog.  Kinda walks like him.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:19:26 PM EDT
[#15]
These aren't the greatest pictures to compare but whoever it was definately has the same build and walk as the creepy guy with the dog.  At the end of the video as soon as the guy starts walking away he turns off his light.  Now did he just happen to find his dog at that moment and decided he no longer needed his light or was he trying to disappear from the scene as quick as he could by going dark?

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:48:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Did you "draw down" on him?
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:54:59 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Did you "draw down" on him?

If I can get some better evidence on this guy you better believe I'll be drawing down on him.  He's been known to hang around associate with known criminals.  All it would take is one good piece of evidence of him doing something he shouldn't and me catching him doing it.  I will know be going armed all the time instead of just having a weapon near by.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 11:37:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Hard to say why he turned the light off.  I don't know the surroundings to know what's over to the right where he headed off to.  He lives off to the left though doesn't he?

Maybe if you see him you could ask him if he was looking for his dog the other night, as you saw someone outside when you got up to do something.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:00:44 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Hard to say why he turned the light off.  I don't know the surroundings to know what's over to the right where he headed off to.  He lives off to the left though doesn't he?

Maybe if you see him you could ask him if he was looking for his dog the other night, as you saw someone outside when you got up to do something.

He lives back to the right...and that is the darkest part of the whole area so if he needed a light especially to watch his dog that would have been where he would have needed it.

I don't want to confront him yet, that would tip him off that I'm watching and might change his behavior.  I want some good evidence on tape first.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:07:49 AM EDT
[#20]
The vehicles are locked right?

How did they gain access to the GF car?  Break a window?
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:15:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Shoot the asshat with a marble from a slingshot.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:27:07 AM EDT
[#22]
RWS. .177 cal, 1150 FPS--makes trespassers wonder where that came from....

(the above was satire. criminals should be coddled and loved. after all, they don't know any better.)
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:49:46 AM EDT
[#23]
Where's that pic of Ray Charles?

"I can't see sh*t."
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:54:33 AM EDT
[#24]
I think your camera needs to be outside our your lights turned off inside. The glass sure messes up your video.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:59:18 AM EDT
[#25]
I know how you feel.  Some cocksucker made off with my CD player two weekends ago while I was in Indianapolis.  I was at a house for about an hour and when I got in my truck my CD player was gone.  They ripped it right out of the dash and now my glove compartment door only has one hinge and falls off. Thats all the took though, I had about 500 CDs, 2 cases of beer, and a couple jackets in the back seat and they didn't take any of it.  

I was so fucking pissed.  If I would have walked out while that fuck was in my truck I  would have "lost it" for sure.  
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:41:44 AM EDT
[#26]
Invest in a better camera.

I've got a KPC-650BH high resolution 0.0004 lux B&W CCD C/CS mount camera.

KPC-650BH is the manufacturer's model number.  It is relabled and sold by other companies
like supercircuits here:  PC164C-EX

It can see in the dark better than you can.

This camera does not come with a lens.  I purchased a better quality lens than supercircuits
recommends.  I got a Computar TG10Z0513AFCS-2  5-50mm F1.3 zoom lens.
(just make sure if you order the lens, you tell them which camera it is going to be used on, so they
can attach the right connector)  Also, the camera has an adapter ring for the smaller lens format.
Unscrew the set screw and remove the adapter ring, so this lens will screw in.

The best part is that these cameras are super sensitive to Infrared light.  

I bought one of these:  IR FILTER
And attached it to the front of a floodlight using metal aluminum tape.  
It makes an spotlight that is invisible to human eyes, but brilliant for the camera.

Edit:  This camera runs on 12v DC, and also has no audio.  
But for the incredible gain in low light capabilities, it is worth the extra hassle.
I wired up an external microphone, and ran wires for power.  Not a big deal at all.
Bought a cube type power supply at RadioShack with the proper plug,
and the video output is a standard RCA type plug. that can run to your VCR.

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:44:27 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

rock salt not a marble
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 1:32:40 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

rock salt not a marble

heck, just use a roundish rock... he won't know what hit him... he'll look around, and it'll just be another rock lying on the ground....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top