Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:25:58 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Hey, I had a '73 Malibu with a rebuilt 350 and a 4-bbl intake & Quadra Jet ( this was in 1979) run away with me on a LA freeway. Only took about a half mile (using the brakes too) to get it to the shoulder and turn the forking key off! Tranny was smoking some, but after I flipped the secondaries closed she ran like a champ until my mom totalled it for me as I was serving in Okinawa (1980).

+1

Right after getting my license, I got a '73 Charger with a built motor. However, the guy that did it put a Holly 4bbl on top of an Edelbrock Performer without checking clearances.

I was screwing around, and the carb got stuck wide open. It took me about 2 seconds to remember to slip it in neutral and turn off the key while pulling to the side.

It then took me 2 minutes under the hood to figure out why it was stuck and get it unstuck so I could get it home to grind down the manifold a little so it would clear.

The guy in the article is full of shit.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 1:22:05 AM EDT
[#2]
I did 130 down the highway in a car with no power steering, oh noes we're all gonna die!!
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 1:38:09 AM EDT
[#3]
What a fucking clueless asstard!!!!

Don't they teach anything in driver's ed classes?

Turn the fucking key back one notch and kill the motor...grab the steering wheel firmly, stomp on the brakes and pull to the side... Steering and brakes will work without power... in ANY car...

If your brakes go out, shift into a low gear and use your parking break...

Practiced doing this before I got my license...

I have had gas pedals stick and brakes go out. Each time, I instantly new what to do, and it was no big deal. Managed to safely pull off to the side...

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 1:40:24 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
What a fucking clueless asstard!!!!

Don't they teach anything in driver's ed classes?

He was a professional truck driver

Amazingly, the former lorry driver walked away from the accident uninjured.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 1:45:47 AM EDT
[#5]
shift into neutral?  Kill the ingnition?  wtf?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top