Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/10/2006 3:44:49 PM EDT
(from joebuff.com)
February 17, 2006

JOE BUFF JOINS HISTORIC FIRST MEDIA UNDERWAY OF SSGN-CONVERSION USS OHIO

On Sunday, January 29, Joe was privileged to attend the first media underway of the initial SSBN-to-SSGN conversion, the former Trident deterrent ballistic missile sub, USS OHIO, in the waters of Juan de Fuca Strait and Puget Sound, Washington State. The extremely stealthy and ultra-long-endurance nuclear powered OHIO is now dedicated to launching theater cruise missiles such as Tactical Tomahawks -- 7 apiece go in special sleeves inside up to 22 of her 24 ex-Trident tubes. She has dedicated berthing space for 66 SEALs or other commandos -- 102 in an emergency, via "hot racking" -- along with the ample exercise equipment and virtual shooting ranges that special ops forces require to keep on their toes at sea.

The space available for storing their gear, ordnance, and transport vehicles is truly awesome. And OHIO's big Battle Management Center, combined with her modularized radio masts, allow her to support a breathtaking spectrum of current and next-generation mission profiles in shallow and in-shore waters (littorals) all around the globe.

Joe and the other guests (including newspaper reporters, Navy and Air Force commandos, admirals and some of their staff) boarded OHIO in the Strait from a harbor patrol ship. Weather deteriorated to the point that such a transfer back was too dangerous. OHIO herself returned through twisting inland waterways to Bangor Submarine Base, to tie up at a pier and let us off. The underway, meant to last about 5 hours, thus lasted 12, and Joe spent much of this extra time looking on at everything in OHIO's control room.

Joe can personally testify that OHIO's enlarged superstructure over her missile tubes (a sort of "keel" except atop the vessel), and enhancements to her former-boomer hovering system, make her a rock-steady platform at periscope depth in rough seas; she also handles with precision at dead-slow speeds; these traits make her ideal for post-Cold War taskings where "slow and shallow" is the order of the day.

One memorable moment (of many) was when Joe got permission after dark to climb the tricky ladders to the open bridge on the sail. High winds, temperature dropping, spattered (or drenched) by blowing salt spray -- and then it started to rain. Joe had the time of his life, and was "deeply" impressed by USS OHIO and all her people!

(Bold emphasis by me, I thought this paragraph was particulary intersting).

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:30:06 AM EDT
[#1]
weekend bump 'cuz subs are cool.

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 4:54:06 PM EDT
[#2]

OHIO is now dedicated to launching theater cruise missiles such as Tactical Tomahawks -- 7 apiece go in special sleeves inside up to 22 of her 24 ex-Trident tubes.

Up to 154 Tomahawks on one sub...

I wonder why 2 of the ex-Trident tubes aren't used - Too much total weight? Reserved for something else?
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:39:58 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

OHIO is now dedicated to launching theater cruise missiles such as Tactical Tomahawks -- 7 apiece go in special sleeves inside up to 22 of her 24 ex-Trident tubes.

I wonder why 2 of the ex-Trident tubes aren't used - Too much total weight? Reserved for something else?

It's reserved for up to 66 SEALS/Spec-Ops and their gear.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:21:15 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's reserved for up to 66 SEALS/Spec-Ops and their gear.

The two tubes have their uses. Opsec though.

The ohio was a bitch to work on though.

Chris
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:25:05 PM EDT
[#5]
I got to take a tour of one that was half finished when I was stationed at puget sound, the guy taking us on the tour said that for the sub to be unseen it had to be deep enough that the seals wouldnt have enough time to decompress.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:27:54 PM EDT
[#6]
I can guarantee you he has only seen half the boat
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:33:18 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I got to take a tour of one that was half finished when I was stationed at puget sound, the guy taking us on the tour said that for the sub to be unseen it had to be deep enough that the seals wouldnt have enough time to decompress.

Hows that work??
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:36:22 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

How long ago were you stationed at Puget?

Chris
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:41:45 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Chris

year and a half ago or so
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:46:21 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Chris

You do security on any of the projects?

Chris
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:05:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Joe can personally testify that OHIO's enlarged superstructure over her missile tubes (a sort of "keel" except atop the vessel), and enhancements to her former-boomer hovering system, make her a rock-steady platform at periscope depth in rough seas; she also handles with precision at dead-slow speeds; these traits make her ideal for post-Cold War taskings where "slow and shallow" is the order of the day.

I just thought this line was interesting for such a big submarine. It's hard to picture the SSGN in "the littorals."
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:08:22 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Chris

You do security on any of the projects?

Chris

I was doing gaurd of an Re-fuel de-fuel of a sub, as part of FAST.

While I was gaurding I thought it was funny that one guy did all the work on the sub while 7-10 people watched with clip board checking things off haha.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:15:43 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I was doing gaurd of an Re-fuel de-fuel of a sub, as part of FAST.
While I was gaurding I thought it was funny that one guy did all the work on the sub while 7-10 people watched with clip board checking things off haha.

Remember the name of the sub?

Although you guys aren't supposed to reallly get friendly with us yardbirds, There was one that I chatted with on occasion who was a really cool guy, but then they sent him to Iraq.

I invited him to a weekend shooting match, and he said he had to ask his Sgt. or somthing like that. He also said that they "roll in groups", to which I replied " the more the better!".  He told me later that they couldn't get the time off.  That sucked.

All that happened some time last year.

And you are right about the oversight.  We have way too many chiefs and not enough indians.  The white hats roam the sides of the dry docks looking for shit to complain about instead of just letting us do our fucking jobs.  It gets pretty damn annoying at times.  But right now I'm TDY and things are a lot different in Diego.  They give us a job and then leave us alone and the work finally gets done without allot of interferrence.  On time and under buget too!

Chris
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top