Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 10:28:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Bottom's Up Pizza in Richmond, VA.

And by the way, screw you all for bringing this up.  I'M HUNGRY!!!!!!  [;)]
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 10:34:29 AM EDT
[#2]
If you are in the bay area: Frankie Johnnie & Luigi Too in Mountain View, CA.  If in southern ca:  Bona Corso's Italian Rstrnt in Pasadena - get their DEEP dish pizza!!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 10:35:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Village Host in Belmont, CA...last time there was back in '81/'82, though.  That's when they still covered take-outs with foil, a slash in the middle to let out the steam.  Awesome crust--the bubbly, deformed kind.

Seattle-ites: ever been to Northlake Tavern?  Pizzas there are re-friggin-diculous--HUGE, with massive toppings.

Another good place in CA, though not sure if it's still there: Frankie, Johnny and Luigi's Too in (or near) Mountain View.  Pepperoni looks like stacks of poker chips that were knocked over.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 11:53:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Okay, definetly my subject(pizza feak).

#1   New Park Pizzeria****Howard Beach, New York

#2   Patsys*******Downtown Brooklyn, New York

#3   Totonos******Coney Island, New York

#4   Goodfellas***Bayridge, New York

Totonos and Patsys is thin crust pizza and only sell by the pie!

Totonos only makes a certain amount of pies each day and then they close!!!

[b]GETTING REAL HUNGRY!![/b]
View Quote

here are some more for you

L&B's spamoni gardens  : brooklyn
Sal's:  86th & 4th brooklyn
Ray's"famous" : near the village manhattan
Brother's : port richmond staten island
denino's :  port richmond staten island
View Quote

I think "L&B's" is very good however, when it changed owners, so did the pizza. Not as good as it was. It's over rated, way too much.

Don't know where you guys live in New York, except Waverunner is in Suffolk. But you guys should try the places I've listed.

Waverunner*** New Park Pizza is on the East side of Crossbay Blvd, just south of the Belt Pkwy, across the street from Blockbuster Video. They usualy stay open till a little after midnite.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 12:10:57 PM EDT
[#5]

Unless you've had a Chicago pizza you're not even in the same league. Chicago has the best pizza in the world.

Lou Malnati's
Gino's East
Edwardo's

If you're ever in Chicago give these a try, you wont be sorry.  Chicago women are great too.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 12:18:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Unless you've had a Chicago pizza you're not even in the same league. Chicago has the best pizza in the world.

View Quote

What a you kiddin' me? Fuggedabaddit![:)]
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 12:36:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Bottom's Up Pizza in Richmond, VA.

And by the way, screw you all for bringing this up.  I'M HUNGRY!!!!!!  [;)]
View Quote

One of the guys who owns that place was my son's hockey coach last year.  Good pizza for sure.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 12:44:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Best Pizza From an Institution No Longer in Business:
     Pungo Pizza from the Pungo Inn in what is now Virginia Beach.  circa 1972. You would not belive the stuff they put on one.  The shrimp was the coup de grace!

Best New York (or thin crust) Pizza: Benny Tudino's (sp) on Washington Street in Hoboken NJ.  (I think the place is still there.)

Best Chicago style (or thin crust) pizza outside of Chicago:  Big Al's on Thames St. in the Wall Street area of Manhattan.

Best Chicago-style pizza:  Somebody help me out.  It was a place on Rush St. in Chicago where you went down into the basement and everybody carved up the tables????
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 12:58:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Bronco Billy's Pizza Palace. 2 locations in the Bay Area. One in the Hayward Hills and one in Union City. Thats some damn good pizza.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 1:18:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Anyone from the San Diego area go to Fillipies?  The original is downtown and there is one in Poway also.

Nuckles.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 1:49:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 1:52:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Noble Roman's Sicilian from west side of Indianapolis.  Crunchy outside of crust, chewy on the inside and just thick enough to make you want more!!!
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 1:59:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Ok, here it is, my partner in crime and I think the best pizza is at Mosse N Vinnys in Arlington, Texas...........yummmmmm great to eat before you get started on the $1.00 beers
[smoke]
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 2:23:10 PM EDT
[#14]
The best that I've had was in North Beach in San Francisco. However, after watching the History Channel's history of food (and I believe everything that I see on television), I'm convinced that it's all garbage unless it's original Italian style pizza that's cooked in a coal-fired oven as found in some NYC restaurants (real mozzerella cheese cannot be shredded;it has to be sliced, otherwise it becomes mush).
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 2:57:36 PM EDT
[#15]
New York baby, without a doubt.
Sinapi's - Brewster,NY (?)
Redendo's - Carmel,NY (from the Bronx)
Antonella's - Fishkill,NY (from the Bronx)
All of these are within an hour or two north of the city.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 3:12:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Pizza is like p*ssy! When its good its VERY VERY good, and when its bad......Its still pretty darn good!!
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 3:22:15 PM EDT
[#17]
[b]Flying High Pizza[/b], Portland, OR

OH MY GOD this pizza is huge, tasty, and cheap.
It has been in the country's top 10 the last few times I looked. They have tables, chairs, and all sorts of wierd crap stuck to the ceiling. Interesting atmosphere.

Coversix
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 4:20:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Chimborazo,

Bottoms up is pretty good but...

Try Pacinos in the west end,
The Pacino rules...Fresh pesto, red sauce and plum tomatoes with extra garlic.

Tell Mike Geo and Helen sent ya!
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 4:31:54 PM EDT
[#19]
pizza village,lafayette,la. excellent
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 4:47:33 PM EDT
[#20]
My own homemade pizza, shamelessly stolen from a restaurant by eating it several times and figuring out the ingredients from the taste:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Roll out pizza dough (ie: Pillsbury) onto a pan.
Slice an onion into very thin rings and fry in 3 tablespoons of olive oil until slightly brown.
Take 2/3 cup of heavy cream and reduce in a pan until thick. Add black and white pepper while cooking the cream.
Mix in the juice from a half of a fresh lemon into the cream and remove from heat.

Build the pizza:
Add about 1 to 1 1/2 cups of shreadded mozzarella cheese.
Add a tablespoon full of the cream-lemon mixture at a time in little puddles distributed around the pizza.
Add the carmelized onions.
Add some shredded procuitto.
Add some pepperoni if you like.
Bake for 11 minutes.

(Note: there is no tomato sauce on this pizza).

And now, clean your gun. (What the f*ck is a recipe doing on a gun site? I'll probably be kicked off the site for this, but the pizza is damn good.)
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 7:00:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Federici's Pizza in Freehold, New Jersey. Yes, home of Bruce Springstein. AS a matter of fact, the resturant is owned by Danny Federici's(keybord player from the E street band) uncle or cousin. I cant remember wich one. Super thin , crispy, crust that melts in your mouth. I also must memtion my uncle Pete's place on Bleeker ST in NYC, Johns Brickoven Pizza.
View Quote

Yes, Federici's is very good. I used to live only a few miles from there.
Another place near there that's good is Lena's. It's down Georgia tavern road. The old man made a good pie, I dont know if he's still there. It's been a few years. It's not thin like Federici's, it's a "regular pie" but very tasty.

A place up in Lodi makes thin crust like Federici's. Name of it is Lido's. Theyre only opened a few hours every day, in the evening. It's been a few years, I dont know if theyre still there.
Eric
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 10:26:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Lou Malnati's
Gino's East
Edwardo's

If you're ever in Chicago give these a try, you wont be sorry.  Chicago women are great too.
View Quote

Ummmmm, I would have to disagree, I lived in Chicago for couple of years (1987-1989). I have to say, in my opinion, New York has better pizza. Before I get my head chopped off, Chicago definetly does have excellent pizza though.

I mean, I [s]love[/s]HATE New York but, I love the pizza (and bagels)!!
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 11:19:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lou Malnati's
Gino's East
Edwardo's

View Quote

Ummmmm, I would have to disagree, I lived in Chicago for couple of years (1987-1989). I have to say, in my opinion, New York has better pizza. Before I get my head chopped off, Chicago definetly does have excellent pizza though.

View Quote

You poor, poor soul. 2 years in the Windy City and nobody ever showed you where the good pizza was. You see, like I said, even the bad pizza in Chicago is good (better then Texas, etc.) and that clearly is what you had been eating.

For the rest of you Chicago Pizza bashers: Try to use rational arguments like our poor friend here (i.e. had 'em both, one was better). Please don't use ANTI-type arguments that sound like nonsense.

I mean so far we have one Major Murphy here say that real pizza is not deep dish. No Sh!t! Only one person on this thread said it was and I already told him his opinion was no longer valid in this forum (obvious bad taste) So to compare "Chicago Style" deep dish to New York Pizza is just not fair. Deep dish pizza couldn't hold up to even Texas pizza - and don't call it "Chicago Style" please!

Also, someone else mentioned eatin at Unos and it not being anyhting special. The only Chicagoan here to mention Unos made a point to qualify his statement by saying, THE ORIGINAL Unos. The one before it became a freakin' national chain. I have never eaten there myself but I have heard their pizza is great. The rest of the so copy-cat franchises, though, are only good when you compare them to a pizza from, say Texas or something.

The truth is New York and Chicago have the best Pizzas in the world - plain and simple. I have had this argument more times then I can count and always enjoy it. You New Yorkers who want to argue yours is better - just play fair and use beter arguments then you have so far - otherwise it looks like you are trying to hide the truth :)

Oh, and you Texans (notice how none have even replied to mention a Pizza Place in texas) - I love your state, hell - it is my state - the pizza there sucks. You poor souls who have always lived in Texas don't know what Pizza is supposed to be.

Oh well, no place is perfect. I spent a day in Boston tryuing to find some good Mexican Food - that is definitely a craving you don't want to have in New England!

Adam
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 2:52:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

The rest of the so copy-cat franchises, though, are only good when you compare them to a pizza from, say Texas or something.

Oh, and you Texans (notice how none have even replied to mention a Pizza Place in texas) - I love your state, hell - it is my state - the pizza there sucks. You poor souls who have always lived in Texas don't know what Pizza is supposed to be.

Adam
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 2:52:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
In Chicago for that deep dish style
LOU  MALNATI's !!!!!!  AWESOME!
Giordarno's sucked & Gino's East was very good but Lou Malnati's was the BEST!

Here in Houston a local place called
Star Pizza makes excellent NY style pizza.
View Quote

hmmm
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 3:13:38 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

hmmm
View Quote

OK, so I missed your pitch for Houston. Are you saying is is the best, or just "excellent NY style"

Never was in Houston on a pizza hunt. Have tried the Dallas/FW area and every town from there to El Paso. Also Amarillo area. No good pizza. At least none that I have found. Anybody along those roads that can recommend a good place, please do. I love pizza while driving.
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 4:16:42 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

hmmm
View Quote

OK, so I missed your pitch for Houston. Are you saying is is the best, or just "excellent NY style"

Never was in Houston on a pizza hunt. Have tried the Dallas/FW area and every town from there to El Paso. Also Amarillo area. No good pizza. At least none that I have found. Anybody along those roads that can recommend a good place, please do. I love pizza while driving.
View Quote

I would definitely agree that Chicago & NYC have the BEST but there are other very good places.  
I loved Lou Malnati's in Chicago!! Gino's East is the runner up [:)]

Star Pizza here in Houston is very good & when I say NY style all I really mean is thin crust, not deep dish "pie" style like Chicago.

I think a couple of other posts mentioned  places in Arlington, Austin, & Corpus Christi.

Your right about Mexican!  I've had some really crappy Mexican in states other than Texas & New Mexico.  
SoCal is supposed to have good Mexican.

Maybe it's time for another thread!  
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 4:44:36 AM EDT
[#28]
I believe the question at hand was, "what's the best pizza you ever had?"
Answers to this question are about personal experience, and taste. No wrong answers.

NOW, what's the best pizza on the planet?

Chicago pizza is delicious, mouth-wateringly so, too.

HOWEVER, pizza in NY, and the surrounding area, is superior.  Just as sure as Mexican food and BBQ here is not.  NY may suck, but the the pizza sure doesn't.

I'm not even familiar with the expression "NY-Style", when it comes to pizza.  We just call it pizza.

Just top it off with a soggy, waxed paper-cup of flat fountain-Coke and a film of pizza grease floating on the surface, from your upper lip....mmmmmmmmmm.

"You've tried the rest, now try the best!"
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 7:50:36 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lou Malnati's
Gino's East
Edwardo's

View Quote

View Quote

You poor, poor soul. 2 years in the Windy City and nobody ever showed you where the good pizza was. You see, like I said, even the bad pizza in Chicago is good (better then Texas, etc.) and that clearly is what you had been eating.

For the rest of you Chicago Pizza bashers: Try to use rational arguments like our poor friend here (i.e. had 'em both, one was better). Please don't use ANTI-type arguments that sound like nonsense.

I mean so far we have one Major Murphy here say that real pizza is not deep dish. No Sh!t! Only one person on this thread said it was and I already told him his opinion was no longer valid in this forum (obvious bad taste) So to compare "Chicago Style" deep dish to New York Pizza is just not fair. Deep dish pizza couldn't hold up to even Texas pizza - and don't call it "Chicago Style" please!

Also, someone else mentioned eatin at Unos and it not being anyhting special. The only Chicagoan here to mention Unos made a point to qualify his statement by saying, THE ORIGINAL Unos. The one before it became a freakin' national chain. I have never eaten there myself but I have heard their pizza is great. The rest of the so copy-cat franchises, though, are only good when you compare them to a pizza from, say Texas or something.

The truth is New York and Chicago have the best Pizzas in the world - plain and simple. I have had this argument more times then I can count and always enjoy it. You New Yorkers who want to argue yours is better - just play fair and use beter arguments then you have so far - otherwise it looks like you are trying to hide the truth :)

Oh well, no place is perfect. I spent a day in Boston tryuing to find some good Mexican Food - that is definitely a craving you don't want to have in New England!

Adam
View Quote

Wow, so sensitive!

You didn't read my post correctly. Yes, two years in The Windy City, I ate in many, many fine places with excellent pizza, including Uno's, but, for one, Uno's is over rated, and two, the pizza in New York is superior, SORRY!

But, like I have said Chicago has excellent pizza.  [;)]
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 9:30:52 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Chimborazo,

Bottoms up is pretty good but...

Try Pacinos in the west end,
The Pacino rules...Fresh pesto, red sauce and plum tomatoes with extra garlic.

Tell Mike Geo and Helen sent ya!
View Quote

I'll give that a try...I don't venture out of the city very much (I live in Church Hill) so I'm not very familiar with the West End.  Thanks for the tip!!
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 9:33:23 AM EDT
[#31]
I changed my mind.  Hands down, the best pizza I have ever had was in Pescara, Italy.  Fresh dough, tomatoes, basil, and locally made olive oil.  [:P]
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 7:10:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 7:48:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Easy. The best bizza I ever had was at "The Flying Pie" in Portland, Ore. Expensive, but worth it.
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 4:26:09 AM EDT
[#34]
Beau Jo's in Idaho Springs, Colorado.

They call them "mountain pies"

The crust is so good, you put honey on it and have it for dessert.

Link Posted: 8/18/2001 6:15:12 AM EDT
[#35]
The Hideaway in Stillwater, Oklahoma.  Best pizza I ever had or ever will have.  A time honored tradition.  Been there all my life and longer.  No deep dish there.  They never heard of it.  Fresh mushrooms, not those slimy canned ones.  Lots of cheese, and it's real, too.  Take a bite and watch it stretch out about half a mile so you have to keep wrapping it around your tongue and reeling it in....it doesn't all slide off the slice in one hunk leaving you with a naked pizza slice.  I don't know how they do it.  Must be magic.  The fried mushrooms are out-of-this-world, too.  Dip them in creamy italian, ranch or marinara, pop the whole thing in your mouth and wait for the flavor explosion....mmmmmmmmmm
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 6:58:22 AM EDT
[#36]
The Hideaway has been in Stillwater since 1957 and has expanded to Tulsa and Oklahoma City over the past ten years (including that dumbass Bricktown crap). Good pizza by Oklahoma standards, but not great. We're in cattle country, remember? The best pizzas in Oklahoma can be had in our very own little Italy, Krebs just east of McAlester. Any one of the places like Pete's, Roseanna's, Giacomo's, or Isle of Capri can take care of that.
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 7:34:38 AM EDT
[#37]
Pizza in Krebs is better than Hideaway????  I've never been there, but if what you say is true,I'm heading to Krebs the next time I go to Oklahoma.  Thanks for the info.  My mouth is watering just thinking about it!
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 8:04:53 AM EDT
[#38]
Then you've led a sheltered existence. Krebs is primarily an Italian community founded by coal miners back at the turn of the century. Most of their descendants still live there and they operate some thriving restaurants and a specialty store that carries a lot of Italian foods and spices. There's no one in this part of the country that can hold a candle to any one of them for their Italian cuisine. Take the Indian Nation Turnpike south and exit on U.S. 270 and head east. When you get to McCalester, cross U.S. 69 and you're in Krebs. You'll see all but one of the restaurants (Giacomo's moved over to the 69 Bypass to catch some more Eufaula traffic). Pete's is probably the most famous of them (you'll see pictures in the lobby of Gordon Cooper eating there as well as various famous politicians and entertainers) and has been there since 1925, but they're all equally good as far as I'm concerned. Loyal Krebs fans like to argue over who has the better food, but as I recall, Roseanna's is operated by Pete's sister's family and Giacomo's and Isle of Capri are their cousins. At one time, they all worked back and forth to help the others. Incidentally, Pete changed his name to Pritchard so that he'd sound more American. Good food and lots of history.
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 8:36:27 AM EDT
[#39]
I don't know how sheltered I've been, but it sure sounds like I've been deprived.  I have some friends in (or near) McAlester.  I'll have to go visit them next time and suggest dinner in Krebs.  I feel a feeding frenzy coming on....they might have to load me up in the back of the truck to get me home....I love Italian food!
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 12:49:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Big City Pizza and Subs in beautiful Fresno,Ca.,they also have the best beer selection in the San Juaqain Valley.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top