Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:55:47 AM EDT
[#1]
If they call that an arsenal, then at 18 I had an armory. Libs. What would be sweet is, if in the corrections for the next newspaper it said:

"It was incorrectly noted that the young man had an arsenal, after visiting ar15.com, we learned that is not the case. The article should have read 'the young man had spitwads.'"
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:56:50 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
TJ,
What IS your obsession with "gun confiscation" threads?
This has got to be the third or fourth "GC" thread you've posted.
Are you afraid someone is going to come and take your guns away from you, young man?

cause it could happen to any one of us...

plus, I like to keep on top of things
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:56:59 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Shouldn't be hard to find out if the guns were reported stolen.

Michigan registerws handguns but not longuns.  the cos will need to contact whoever the last registered owner of the handguns were then try to trace ehtm fromthere to see if or when they were stolen.

As for the long guns, it's been my experiance that the average gun owner has no idea what the serial numbers of his guns are. Cant enter them into the system as stolen without the serial numbers.

I grew up in clinton county Michigan.  Teenagers there steal guns like California kids steal beer.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:59:23 AM EDT
[#4]

Shaw said detectives believe the young man is part of a stolen guns ring and that he is suspected of being a "middle man" in the operation.

Bbears repeating. Law-abiders' hackles can be lowered.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:01:20 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
So where the Hell did this happen?

The story says Downriver.  Downriver is the area below (downstream of) Detroit, Michigan, on the banks of the Detroit River.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:01:24 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Michigan is a very anti gun state.  To buy a handgun you must go to the police station, get a pistol purchase permit (in triplicate), then take that permit to the gun dealer when you buy you gun.  then you have to go back to the police department for a "safety inspection" where they register the gun both with the local agency and michigan state police.

It used to be illegal to drive from your home to the target range with your handgun unless you had a hunting license or CCW permit.

Any firearm under 30" long is a "pistol."

Uhh, that's incorrect. .

Sorry, but your wrong on that one. In fact several IPSC & 3-gun shooters got busted and lost their guns oversit, which was the catalyst for the law change a few years ago.  Remember the "for target shooting only" CCW's they used to issue?  Thats because the only lawfull way to transport your handgun to the range, even if unloaded was with 1. a hunting license, 2. a range membership card or 3. aCCW permit in your possession. It was a stupid poorly written law that nearly everyone ignored.  But it was the law.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:03:14 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
What exactly was illegal about the 18 year old having guns?

Maybe they found a shoelace in the same room.  
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:10:11 AM EDT
[#8]
tag
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:14:46 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
TJ,
What IS your obsession with "gun confiscation" threads?
This has got to be the third or fourth "GC" thread you've posted.
Are you afraid someone is going to come and take your guns away from you, young man?

cause it could happen to any one of us...

plus, I like to keep on top of things

Every gun owner in the U.S. is at risk for having their firearms collection seized after a 911 call is placed by a current or ex wife/GF, disgruntled neighbor or even one of your own kids etc. Some areas also have anonymous "gun tip" lines to call that offer rewards as well.

You should ALWAYS have the names and 24hr emergency phone numbers of one or more local criminal defense attorneys with you at all times.  
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:18:09 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
If they call that an arsenal, then at 18 I had an armory. Libs. What would be sweet is, if in the corrections for the next newspaper it said:

"It was incorrectly noted that the young man had an arsenal, after visiting ar15.com, we learned that is not the case. The article should have read 'the young man had spitwads.'"

It's an "arsenal" because it contained an AR-15. Thank God it wasn't an AK-47. Those kinds of guns are even worse.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:27:09 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is what I don't understand....

ETA: Oh wait, doesn't Michigan have some sort of gun registration? If so, I bet they wern't registered.

Long guns are not registered, and you can be 18 and buy a handgun from a private party as long as you have a permit and register it.  I don't see ANYTHING illegal about this, unless he got them prior to being 18.

ETA: Or, of course, if they were stolen.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:27:43 AM EDT
[#12]

A Truman student, Jeff Westmoreland, told 7 Action News, "I’ve always known him to be a really good kid, you know. He went to school with me for a couple years, and he’s never done anything wrong like that. I wouldn’t even think of him having guns like that."

Yup. Just having guns is "wrong" these days....

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:37:22 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's an "arsenal" because it contained an AR-15. Thank God it wasn't an AK-47. Those kinds of guns are even worse.

Imagine the headline if there had been one those "Tec-9 Machine pistols" the media is always so hard for.  
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:03:01 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Michigan is a very anti gun state.  To buy a handgun you must go to the police station, get a pistol purchase permit (in triplicate), then take that permit to the gun dealer when you buy you gun.  then you have to go back to the police department for a "safety inspection" where they register the gun both with the local agency and michigan state police.

It used to be illegal to drive from your home to the target range with your handgun unless you had a hunting license or CCW permit.

Uhh, that's incorrect. .

Sorry, but your wrong on that one. In fact several IPSC & 3-gun shooters got busted and lost their guns oversit, which was the catalyst for the law change a few years ago.  Remember the "for target shooting only" CCW's they used to issue?  Thats because the only lawfull way to transport your handgun to the range, even if unloaded was with 1. a hunting license, 2. a range membership card or 3. aCCW permit in your possession. It was a stupid poorly written law that nearly everyone ignored.  But it was the law.

That's news to me. I suppose it is a good thing I was never pulled over on the way to or from the range.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:10:33 AM EDT
[#15]
LOL my "arsenal" at that age and even youger was about 10 times that.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:19:14 AM EDT
[#16]
It must be fun to write such outrageous stories like that. Making accusations before the police do, jesus christ. I'd like to know how they think he's connected to a gun ring, and what gun ring that is, they've only had this info for a few hours according to the officer.

By the time my senior year ended(2005), I had a Bushmaster M4, Wasr10, 2 kit built AK's, a preban Polytech, and a Cetme, and 2 months later I bought a 9mm handgun(private party).

I think there's about 2 facts in that whole article, what the fuck kind of journalism is that? Talk about scare tactics
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:27:54 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Handguns ?

In Ohio, you can own handguns at the age of 18, you just can't buy them...

It's even like that here in California.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:30:48 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

A tip led police to the home of a downriver teenager Thursday. When they opened his padlocked bedroom, they were amazed by what they found.

I don't even know where to begin.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:34:56 AM EDT
[#19]
If six guns is an Arsenal, Then i'm a friggin burgeoning military apparatus!!!!

Gee, do they think they overuse the term Arsenal a bit much?

Arsenals-Build and repair different weapons systems.

Where they store them is called an Armory, You friggin anti gun morons!!
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:37:22 AM EDT
[#20]
I'm 18, and I've got four so far, three of which are EVIL.  If I had money there would be nothing stopping me.  
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:37:27 AM EDT
[#21]
If six guns is an Arsenal, Then i'm a friggin burgeoning military apparatus!!!!

Gee, do they think they overuse the term Arsenal a bit much?

Arsenals-Build and repair different weapons systems.

Where they store them is called an Armory, You friggin anti gun morons!!
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:57:20 AM EDT
[#22]
"The weapons are illegal..."
The weapons aren't illegal, the ownership might be though. Unless they were illegal imports or illegally modified without the proper NFA forms I don't see where they get that.

"...Arsenal..."
Holy crap!! I guess I have an arsenal too. Looks more like a modest collection at best.

Main Entry: ar·se·nal
Pronunciation: 'ärs-n&l, 'är-s&n-&l
Function: noun
Etymology: Italian arsenale, ultimately from Arabic dAr sinA'ah house of manufacture
1 a : an establishment for the manufacture or storage of arms and military equipment b : a collection of weapons
2 : STORE, REPERTORY <the team's arsenal of veteran players>

By that definition one gun can be an arsenal. Goot love how they know just the right demonizing words to use.

In the video the barrel of the shotgun kind of looks like it was cut down. If true, then yes, that one is very likely to be illegal. I doubt that kid went through the proper paperwork to get it SBR'ed and I doubt even more they would have approved it.

I don't know the laws there, but if the AR is an HBAR he could have bought it himself.

Hell, the amount of information they give you could come to any conclusion you want. For all we know they were left to him by a dead relative.

The fact that he had them padlocked in his room? Well, padlocking a bedroom is kinda weird. I had a deadbolt onmy bedroom door, which was easily busted down by a 13y/o girl. The fact that he had them locked up? He's doing more than I do to secure his guns.

How about a nice e/snail-mail/phone call campaign to the write/reporter of this article demanding a follow up with a lot more information and a lot less "evil guns" BS.

Telephone numbers:
Main switchboard: 248-827-7777
Newsroom: 248-827-9407
Toll-free line: 800-825-0770
Verizon Wireless airtime-free: #WXYZ
7 On Your Side Health Team: 248-827-9340
Public Relations: 248-827-9307
Programming: 248-827-9302
7 On Your Side Investigative Team: 248-827-9252
Call for Action: 248-827-3362
News questions and feedback: 248-827-4468
Television and website sales: 248-827-9205
Website technical questions: 248-827-4991
Website content questions: 248-827-9382, 248-827-9293

Fax numbers:
Newsroom: 248-827-9444
Sales: 248-827-4454

E-Mail:
Please check the Frequently Asked Questions page before sending an e-mail to see if your question has already been answered. If not, send your e-mail to the main station address at [email protected] When e-mailing, please include your telephone number and do not send any attachments.

Please note
Due to the high number of e-mails we receive, we may not be able to answer them all. Be assured that we do read and act upon them!

Mailing Address
WXYZ-TV
20777 West Ten Mile Road
Southfield, MI 48037

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:01:56 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Uhh, that's incorrect. You just had to store the ammo away from the gun itself. Stupid, I know, but you had to put the ammo elsewhere in the vehicle and the gun in the trunk.

Actually he is absolutely correct, that IS the way it used to be.  Jeff former MI LEO.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:15:00 AM EDT
[#24]
Just taught me not to bother asking an ofmy neighbors if they like guns or want to go shooting. Not point in giving them any more info about me than necessary.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:25:04 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
The fact that he had them padlocked in his room? Well, padlocking a bedroom is kinda weird.

It would be a cold day in hell before my 18 year old son would have a padlock on his MY bedroom door.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:25:54 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Uhh, that's incorrect. You just had to store the ammo away from the gun itself. Stupid, I know, but you had to put the ammo elsewhere in the vehicle and the gun in the trunk.

Actually he is absolutely correct, that IS the way it used to be.  Jeff former MI LEO.

Already addressed. Scroll up.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:27:57 AM EDT
[#27]
If a kid is putting some extra locking devices on a bedroom door odds are he's tyring to hide something. I put a deadbolt on my door for all kinds of reason... mostly so I wouldn't get caught masturbating though.

Also... I sent an e-mail to that news station asking for the reporter to follow up. I don't expect a reply though.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:29:06 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
But the 18-year-old who had the guns was questioned by detectives then released.

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:29:24 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
... According to Sgt. Michael Shaw, of the Michigan State Police, "18-years-old with, basically, and arsenal of weapons." ...

Sgt. Shaw need never move to the Deep South... my 2-year-old already has more guns than that.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 3:46:59 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Handguns ?

Has to be.

The hanguns.

Fed law says 21 years of age for them.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 4:11:06 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Have CCW, Buy handgun, take with you the very second you pay. No form to get first. Yes "registered" sucks, been that way because of damn Detroit libs for many years. However, we are now a FULL AUTO state, can CCW, can own a buy NEW [GASP!!!!] ARs AKs FALs yada yada with no mag restrictions. We are MUCH better off then you are in Cali. No reg for "black" rifles ETC.

MSP has gone downhill in the past 15 years, I do not hold them in the high regard that I used to. To much "Special" hiring, and lowered standards for SOME officers.

Plus, one of the A-----es shot one of my dogs. Musta been a black cop/scared of dogs  thing. Nuthin like cappin a hit by car dog after one of our sheriff deputys picked it up, carried it off the road, while it was LICKING him and someone was getting me. He drove up, capped the dog and left. Lied thru his teeth about firing a round.

No use for them EVER, anymore.

18 is legal to own a pistol IF it was a family member [father/mother] who bought it for him and gave it as a present. OK to own and buy a rifle/shottie at 18.

Unless they were stolen this whole "raid" was BS unless the person somehow made threats against someone.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:51:31 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
DO YOURSELVES A FAVOR AND READ THE ENTIRE STORY.

This isn't just some kid getting discriminated against!

Ummm, I just re-re-read it after seeing your comment there, and the only thing the cops have said is that the guns "might" be stolen.  If he was buying guns from burglars then that would be one thing, but as far as that article says, the cops don't even know that.

If he violated Michigan's registration laws, is that baaaaad?

As far as the hard content of that "news" story goes, it looks like hysterical overreaction by a bunch of asswipes.  But I'll wait to hear whether the implied "trafficking in stolen guns" stuff (which was repeated a little more solidly, but not much more so, in the Detroit News article) turns out to be true or not.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:57:19 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
"And the fact that the weapons were hidden inside a padlocked bedroom is of great concern and very suspicious."

OMG, I keep my weapons inside a locked safe inside a locked house.......

That must be VERY suspicious...

Morons.

I thought they wanted us to lock up our weapons???? WTF is this logic? Except for the handguns, my guess is the kid could have bought the 2 shotties and the AR. Maybe he made some wrong statements after getting expelled? What was he expelled for? maybe some pussified fellow student started a rumor, because he knew the kid had a few guns?.....we need more info.....
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:07:03 PM EDT
[#34]

State Police told 7 Action News that the weapons are illegal, maybe stolen, and very dangerous. And the fact that the weapons were hidden inside a padlocked bedroom is of great concern and very suspicious.

1) MAY BE stolen.....innocent until proven guilty, remember that?

2) very dangerous......that describes any weapon in the hands of ANY irresponsible person

3) is of great concern and very suspicious.........why is locking your door suspicious?
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:14:57 PM EDT
[#35]
If they are not stolen, then he is legal, as long as the parents gave him the handguns.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:49:49 PM EDT
[#36]
kc8ard posted:

I'd have a big problem with probable cause. I would definitely like to learn what the officers used as probable cause. "OMG he has a gun, search his house, officer" If an officer barged into my house to check if a gun was stolen or not, I would have a big problem. Now, if there was a witness that saw me steal a gun...that's different story
Supreme court:  Plain view doctrine: If I enter and see an item I believe is contraband,i.e. stolen, I can check the number and confiscate/arrest.
Matter of experience, there is more to the story. Working in NYC, most cops here wouldn't arrest, without more to go on.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:17:25 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Have CCW, Buy handgun, take with you the very second you pay. No form to get first. Yes "registered" sucks...

Do you still have to take the gun to the cop shop for the "safety inspection?"
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:27:19 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Read the entire article:

State Police told 7 Action News that the weapons are illegal, maybe stolen, and very dangerous. And the fact that the weapons were hidden inside a padlocked bedroom is of great concern and very suspicious.

If stolen and not just SUPPOSING they're stolen, what the LEOs did was fine.

I've personally not heard much talk about the MSP being Anti, but that could just be because I'm not reading the right stuff.

Also, what was the "Tip" they used to get the warrant? Was it that he wanted to shoot up the high school? That's enough, don't you think?

I'd have a big problem with probable cause. I would definitely like to learn what the officers used as probable cause. "OMG he has a gun, search his house, officer" If an officer barged into my house to check if a gun was stolen or not, I would have a big problem. Now, if there was a witness that saw me steal a gun...that's different story.

I think many of you are reading way too much into this without knowing the specifics of what occurred. There is no mention of a warrant and the subject was questioned and released.

It appears the police received an anonymous tip about stolen weapons at a residence. They went to the location and questioned the subject. The subject or his parent(s) must have consented to a search of the premises and the weapons were taken upon consent of the subject and/or his parent(s). I'm sure the police used the threat of arrest if the subject didn't cooperate but if they had enough evidence to make an arrest they would have done so at the scene.

Where it goes from here depends on whether any of the guns were stolen, illegally acquired or illegally possessed.

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:14:33 AM EDT
[#39]
IMO, the article was written by a liberal retard for one reason, to instill fear into other retards.

AB
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:16:38 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Have CCW, Buy handgun, take with you the very second you pay. No form to get first. Yes "registered" sucks...

Do you still have to take the gun to the cop shop for the "safety inspection?"

Unfortunately, yes. But we can still "pay and play". No waiting period. No "safety inspection" for rifles and shotties.

It's better then it used to be. The SHALL issue CCW was a good start. the FA now legal is the next step, then SBR and no "inspection" would be nice. Without Detroit and Ann Arbor it would be much easier.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top