BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 11:27:52 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The way it was explained to me, it was a US .mil thing.

.mil loves acronyms to classify stuff.

People in military related things sit around and come up with acronyms sometimes.

I know this, for I have done it.

S its around

P ulling

A cronyms from

De rriere
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 11:32:24 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

People in military related things sit around and come up with acronyms sometimes.

I know this, for I have done it. Sat there while three other guys (and a befuddled me) sat there trying to come up with an acronym to describe a project who's name was in fact an acronym.

Originally posted by nosto

Notice that no-one is dancing on the wreckage this time?

Interesting change if you ask me...

They had things like this happen:

www.michaelyon-online.com/wp/jungle-law.htm

Deuce Four is an overwhelmingly aggressive and effective unit, and they believe the best defense is a dead enemy. They are constantly thinking up innovative, unique, and effective ways to kill or capture the enemy; proactive not reactive. They planned an operation with snipers, making it appear that an ISF vehicle had been attacked, complete with explosives and flash-bang grenades to simulate the IED. The simulated casualty evacuation of sand dummies completed the ruse.

The Deuce Four soldiers left quickly with the “casualties,” “abandoning” the burning truck in the traffic circle. The enemy took the bait. Terrorists came out and started with the AK-rifle-monkey-pump, shooting into the truck, their own video crews capturing the moment of glory. That’s when the American snipers opened fire and killed everybody with a weapon. Until now, only insiders knew about the AK-monkey-pumpers smack-down.

OWNED

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 11:56:28 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Notice that no-one is dancing on the wreckage this time?

Interesting change if you ask me...

Yep thats good.  

I always wondered why they didn't arrainge for a vehichle to be disabled in an area with pre-positioned shoot teams.

It's been done.

A friend's son had some interesting tales of such things after his return from Iraq. He was a sniper with hundreds of kills. He, as well as most of his peers, had exceeded Hathcock's kill count by four or five times over. It was so routine that it got boring.

He was fond of using bait like an "abandoned" SAW in the middle of the street or, if he could get there quickly enough, a fresh IED blast site. Some enemy just seem to go out of their way to make killing them easy.  
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 11:56:35 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Where did all these IED, VBIED, etc names come from?  Didn't we used to call them bombs and car bombs?

Army speak to describe an explosive device typically made from surplus munitions...

'Bomb' could be the kind the Air Force drops, or a properly constructed explosive device (eg C4 with a blasting cap, a satchel charge, etc), and so on...

So the Army folks came up with a fancy, governmenteze descriptive name -> IED

Improvised because they're cobbled together from anything the BGs think will go 'Boom'

Explosive Device -> This is what the Army calls any non-aireal bomb...

And of course 'Vehicle Borne' because we have to be all-inclusive (to cover trucks, cars, tractors, donkey-carts and so on...)...

P.S. As for the tank, IIRC it was 'normal' to destroy a wrecked tank by thermite grenade or airstrike if it is being abandoned, to prevent capture.... If the crew isn't dead inside, then the turret is probably on fire from being scuttled...  The Abrams has a VERY good record of keeping it's crews alive...

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 12:11:49 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The white smoke could be Halon, or white phosphorous grenades placed to destroy the sensetive equipment, IIRC. New paint, a few new computers, and it'll be back to killing jihads in no time.

Kharn

It is definately not the Halon system. I was a 63E and when the Halon goes it is done in about 1/2 second. 2 for the engine compartment and 1 down by the driver. My sergeant did not disconnect the batteries once and just touched 1 of the slip ring connectors and it blew. Almost shit my pants, but it is so quick it is over before you know what just went PFFFFFFFFFFFT.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 12:13:45 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
one of the TTP's that the insurgents are using is taking ... <snip>

Let's be careful talking about stuff like this please.  

Why?  Absolutely no OPSEC issues in his post. It's not exactly a stunning revelation that packing a couple of hundred kilos of military grade explosives in a large container can pretty easily destroy a tank and a HMMVW.

I agree, there's nothing too remarkable with his post.  However, I cringed when I saw his post started with, "One of the [enemy] TTP's..."  

I just hope no one relates an experience they had over there in too much detail, along the lines such as, "enemy IEDs constructed with two Klingon type-42 photon torpedoes using a Cardassian Obsidian-7 bioprobe sensor, usually give off 20-percent tackion emissions which were easily detected by the Buffalo's main deflector array when power was rerouted into the dilithium crystals of its warp core."

Nah, they could only be detected when we reversed the polarity of the WARLOCK allowing it to detect the tackion emissions subspace signature - but that's all open-source info.

You said the "W" word.   Bah!  Sometimes I think the Internet just sucks.

Funny retort though... smart ass.

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 1:34:31 AM EDT
[#7]
The thing with acronyms is that sometimes they have two that over lap. For example DSL can mean 'dedicated server link'  but it can also mean something else. Ususally associated with Angelina Jolie.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 1:45:50 AM EDT
[#8]
You mean like: "I sent an RFI to regiment asking when we could expect to DX RFI equipment and whether they'd heard if the replacement M1114 was RFI."

(I actually saw all three of those uses of that acronym within two consecutive powerpoint slides once)
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 2:24:17 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why?  Absolutely no OPSEC issues in his post. It's not exactly a stunning revelation that packing a couple of hundred kilos of military grade explosives in a large container can pretty easily destroy a tank and a HMMVW.

I agree, there's nothing too remarkable with his post.  However, I cringed when I saw his post started with, "One of the [enemy] TTP's..."  

I just hope no one relates an experience they had over there in too much detail, along the lines such as, "enemy IEDs constructed with two Klingon type-42 photon torpedoes using a Cardassian Obsidian-7 bioprobe sensor, usually give off 20-percent tackion emissions which were easily detected by the Buffalo's main deflector array when power was rerouted into the dilithium crystals of its warp core."

Why?  The only people for whom this is not common knowledge are US...your fellow American citizens.  I can ASSURE you that the Hadjis have this shit figured out.  
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 3:08:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:44:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Probably an RPG7 up the tailpipe.  That's what got Cojones when the invasion scaled down at first.  All that damn money and a good grew and some idjut with a basic rocket launcher set it on fire. You'd think they would have protected the exhaust.

I guess in this case, if you get enough explosives, you can blow up anything.  

We'll have that democracy running tip top in no time.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:04:09 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Probably an RPG7 up the tailpipe.  That's what got Cojones when the invasion scaled down at first.  All that damn money and a good grew and some idjut with a basic rocket launcher set it on fire. You'd think they would have protected the exhaust.

I guess in this case, if you get enough explosives, you can blow up anything.  

We'll have that democracy running tip top in no time.

The Abrams TUSK (Tank Urban Survival Kit) upgrade includes slat armor all over the rear of the vehicle.

Kharn
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:40:35 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

it's not like i'm giving any info out that the BG's don't already know. by the time i heard about the incident, i'm sure almost all the insurgent groups in the area had alraedy been given a SITREP on the incident. i didn't give any grids, route names, call signs or any other trash like that, just shit everyone already knows.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 10:54:56 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
The Abrams TUSK (Tank Urban Survival Kit) upgrade includes slat armor all over the rear of the vehicle.

Kharn

The programme also got cancelled about two or three weeks ago. They decided the money could be better used elsewhere. Makes absolutely no sense to me. Expect to see field-expedient mods to fill the gap.

I never said 'IED' or 'VBIED' or even 'VIIED' (Victim Initiated). I've been calling them car bombs and roadside bombs and mines for years, I see no reason to change now just because some O-4 in the Pentagon figured out how to get a good mark in his OER.

NTM
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:03:35 AM EDT
[#15]
I figured it would happen sooner or later.

Pack a car with enough land mines, artillery shells, and other assorted goodies and you can eventually get enough to destroy a tank. Some of these cars can get hundreds of pounds of explosives in them.

M1s are tough, but even an M1 can't stand a 500 pound being dropped directly on it. These improvised things are not quite the same as one of the Air-Force's bombs, but you get the picture. 500 pounds of go-go juice is a lot of boom for ANYTHING to survive.

The baddies have apparently learned that shooting an M1 with an RPG is about as effective as flicking boogers at it. At least from the front, anyway....
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:34:17 AM EDT
[#16]
EDIT THE TITLE PLEASE

We lose enough battles around here; dupes/SIHAPP/Political Correctness

Basically they are winning.

No need to get defeated on all fronts  
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top