Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/9/2006 4:42:07 PM EDT

There are lots of good choices out there from lots of manufacturers. How did you pick what you currently carry.

I just purchased a new HK USP .45 Compact today, which will be my carry gun after I break it in. I am currently carrying a Kimber Warrior. I like the .45 Compact because I can carry the same number of rounds as the Warrior in a significantly smaller and lighter package. I have always liked the USP design, and my fullsize .40 is a joy to shoot. There is no external safety on the model I bought, which is a plus, although I will probably carry at half-cock unless I determine this is genuinely unsafe. Lastly, I love the USP mag release, and out of the twelve pistols I own, I get my fastest reloads done with the USP.

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:46:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/9/2006 4:47:00 PM EDT by Itchy]
XD40 because if I am involved in a shooting, they are going to confiscate the gun.

I would rather they take a $400 pistol than one of my safe queens.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:49:23 PM EDT
My carry weapon when I had a CHL back in MI was an XD9 subcompact. I choose it because it is semi-automatic, small, light, reliable, accurate, has a great trigger, 10 round capacity and had a very natural grip.

When I get off my duff and finally get my Texas CHL I MAY switch to carrying my HK P2000. It has a higher capacity, is reliable and I've used it with pretty good success so far in IDPA. My opinion of this gun changed dramatically after I shot it at IDPA for the first time.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:53:14 PM EDT
I carry my beretta 92 for a few reasons. It was the first pistol I bought and is only one of two pistols I own. My other gun is a Kel Tec P3AT that I carry as well, when I can't carry the beretta.

I like that it is a REAL feeling gun with a metal frame, solid, hand filling grip, and the ability to deliver 15rds of 9mm with pretty respectable accuracy does not hurt

it's not THAT big and not THAT heavy. I originally thougt it would be a bear to carry, but i just wore it out to dinner under a t-shirt and had no problems with it
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:06:40 PM EDT
Hk USP Compact .45

I bought it when they first came out because I wanted another sidearm...then I took a Tactical Weapons class with it and fell in love with it. Part of the class was a hostage scenario with a bad-guy target hiding behind 2 good-guy targets shoulder to shoulder with only the BG's head showing. From 3 yards we had 2 seconds to get our weapon out of our holster and double-tap a 3 inch circle running from BG's eyebrows to his upper lip, without hitting GG's. You repeated the drill until you failed. I put 11 out of 12 shots into the circle using the Hk within the allotted drill times of 2 seconds per set of 2 shots, the twelfth round went low of the circle and into BG's mouth with NO hits on GG's but the requirement was within the circle. I still scored ahead of every other officer in the class.

I cannot shoot that well with ANY other weapon that I pwn.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:11:02 PM EDT
I carry a knife Basically unless your one of the elite a ccw permit isn't happening on Long Island
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:11:03 PM EDT
Glock 30

Utterly Reliable
Double Stack Mag takes G21 Mags 11 or 14 rounds depending on mag
.45 is better than 9mm
Light
Good price
Fits my hand nice
Points good
Utterly Reliable
Is ugly as sin but in a good way

Love 1911's but want more capacity and better reliability vs cash outlay.

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:14:26 PM EDT
Keltec P11

11 rounds, extremely small and light, and it fit my budget.

At the time I wanted a Kahr but I'm happy with my purchase. Sometimes I'll pack the Sig P229 as well, but it's a bit big for everyday carry.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:17:05 PM EDT
It makes big holes.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:17:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/9/2006 5:20:26 PM EDT by DriftPunch]
Seecamp .32

Why? Because I'm not interested in adopting the concealed carry lifestyle (choosing clothing to mask a firearm). A pistol in the pocket is much better than nothing. Carrying a seecamp pretty much comes down to the choice between it, or going gun free...
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:17:30 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:18:58 PM EDT
I have gone through about six guns and styles of carry.
1) Glock 17 in a groin carry. Never got used to a gun with a round in the chamber and no postitive safety pointed at my groin.
2) Kel-tec 9mm pocket holster carry. My gun didn't load manually well.
3) SIG229, hip holster IWB carry, too heavy.
4) H&K Compact .45, liked it and its positive safety, but I wanted more ammo.
5) H&K Compact 9mm, today it is my main carry, with an extra mag.
6) H&K P7, I use this for deep cover, slimmer and more easily concealed. I would like it de-horned however.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:19:50 PM EDT
Glock 23, because I used to shoot 5-600 rounds a week with it for a couple years. I got real confidant with it and it was one of only 2 handguns that I had when I turned 21. The other being a Glock 22
Now I carry a S&W 642 in the summer months when I'm useually just in a T-shirt and shorts.
Glock is reserved for winter when I can wear a jacket
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:26:37 PM EDT
G34 because I shoot it best and I trust it most.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:32:48 PM EDT

Originally Posted By AvengeR15:
There are lots of good choices out there from lots of manufacturers. How did you pick what you currently carry.

After buying 1 of almost everything and trying them.

Then by training with several different handguns.

Then by buying about a billion different holsters.

At first when you are new and don't know what you are doing, you make a choice without all the information you need. Some folks get lucky and hit it right off the bat. Others like myself get it right on the 25th or 26th try.

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:33:04 PM EDT
3 targets, left right and center.

7 yards.

1.76 secs from cold draw 6 shots 2 each center mass less than an inch from each other.

The instructor did it in 1.3 but bigger groups.

HS2000 loaned from instructor, I had my own in a week.

AKA Springfield XD9
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:36:09 PM EDT
I started carrying an HK USP 45 Compact, and I did like it a lot. However, I switch to a Glock 23 due to my appeciating the consistant trigger pull, grip angle, ease of maintanence, and reliability. I've never had a jam/malfunction with my Glock (4,000+ rounds so far), but I did have a few FTFeeds with my USP.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:40:03 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Itchy:
XD40 because if I am involved in a shooting, they are going to confiscate the gun.

I would rather they take a $400 pistol than one of my safe queens.

That statement makes absolutely no sense to me.

On the off chance that you have to defend your life with a handgun, wouldn't you prefer it to be your best option, not just the one you can afford to have confiscated?

That seems silly. That's like saying you would rather use your 10/22 for defense because you don't want your AR to get confiscated.

Don't get me wrong, the XD is a fine option for self-defense but your reasoning is kinda... odd.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:42:03 PM EDT
SIG 226, dead on tack driver accuracy, 17+1 9mm with flush fit mags.
It's comfortable, reliable and built like a tank.

I picked SIG after test firing a ton of pistols, it points naturally and shoots to point of aim.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:43:29 PM EDT
I carry at various times a Walther PPK/s, S&W Mod. 66 2 1/2", S&W Mod 36 and a Kimber TLE .45.

Where I'm going and what I'll be wearing or doing will dictate what I carry.

HH
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:48:58 PM EDT
Wilson Combat CQB, it was the logical progression from stock Colts and SA's with minor work. Also a 442 Jframe back-up. For those "off" days, a G19.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:37:12 PM EDT
S&W model 10 .38 special
Top Top