Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/9/2006 2:35:49 PM EDT
Since so many professional athletes are taking steroids these days, I was thinking that the concept ought to be embraced and made into its own leagues.

No one player would have an unfair advantage over the others (the current problem), the level of play would just be more phenomenal and entertaining.

The players agree to steroid use and that the records they set will not replace the legitimate ones.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 2:36:29 PM EDT
Because it is a crime.

Not that anyone except you or I would be charged. It's the money thing....So I guess they could.

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 2:41:20 PM EDT
They tried that. Remember the XFL?
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 2:46:37 PM EDT
A few reasons.

-Illegal.

-More likely to lead to death or grievous bodily harm.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 2:47:47 PM EDT
I think there are two. Professional body building and the WWE.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 2:48:07 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 2:48:10 PM EDT

Originally Posted By coondog:
They tried that. Remember the XFL?

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 2:48:46 PM EDT
I was talking about that with friends at work a while ago.

I'd like to see the all drug olympics.

Let giant biotech corporations sponser atheletes. Allow any kind of chemical/genetic enhancement they can think of.

See what kind of performance people can really push their bodies to when they take every advantage science and technology can give them.

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 2:54:00 PM EDT
Wonder why so many of the athletes that "don't" use steroids seem to be OK with it? I don't hear them speaking with one voice so I guess between alcohol, recreational drugs (and hookers), and performance enhancing drugs the MAJORITY are complicit. Guess there's also the "star" thing, where the league gets nervous about having the "best" players scrutinized. Damn that Jose Canseco....
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 2:55:23 PM EDT
That would be pretty cool, pushing the limits of what can be done with the human body for our entertainment, I might even start to watch pro sports.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 2:58:55 PM EDT
They make your junk smaller. That reason alone is enough for me not to use drugs.

I have heard that if you were on steroids and you go off them you better have help. This is because you will get seriously depressed.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:06:45 PM EDT
Try here: www.betterhumans.com/blogs/dry_observer/archive/2006/02/10/4288.aspx

There has been more than one serious argument lately that if people volunteer to be guine pigs, they should be used.

In most cases the enhancement is only dangerous if you overdose on it. Which competative athletes have a almost universal habit of doing-trying to get that last 0.1 percent of performance, they will start doubling and tripling the amount they take. Sometimes they bribe the doctors attending them into going beyond the documented safe zones, sometimes they learn what to do and take and just leave their doctors behind and self medicate.

However eventually we would learn how far you could push it without injuring youself. And that could benefit everyone.

Though there is a definent moral question about is it okay to exploit people who have serious narcissistic complexes, and who may be realy mentally ill- though in a socially acceptable manner.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:09:35 PM EDT

Originally Posted By speedboy:
They make your junk smaller. That reason alone is enough for me not to use drugs.

I have heard that if you were on steroids and you go off them you better have help. This is because you will get seriously depressed.

That probably has nothing to do with the chemical. That has to do with narcissism and power anxiety. It is psychological. The same thing happens when a athlete finally breaks up his or her body and cant perform anymore. No adulation from the crowd and peers. No idea what to do with your life without the competition, which for so many years they focused single mindedly on to the exclusion of all else
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 2:58:28 AM EDT
My guess is that the pro sports leagues don't just drop the drug testing because they can't technically "legalize" drugs for the players.

Not that the players don't take all the drugs they can anyway,,, -which is the reason it's so silly to act surprised when this stuff comes out.
It'd probably be pretty tough to find a upper-level pro player who hadn't ever taken performance-enhancing drugs during their careers.

There's a famous old Arnold Schwarzeneggar quote that goes something like "I'd eat a kilo of my own s*** if I thought it would put muscle on".
~

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 3:36:33 AM EDT
Why just limit it to steroids. Think of how entertain Nascar would be if all the drivers (not just the fans) would have to drink to a .1.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 4:12:05 AM EDT
Yeah, it could be like the strong man competition. Base it out of Scandinavia, have even biggermeat heads playing ball. 400 pound, 7', moon faced, HGH swilling retards ripping each others arms off. I'd watch that.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 4:20:04 AM EDT

Originally Posted By ArmdLbrl:

Originally Posted By speedboy:

That probably has nothing to do with the chemical. That has to do with narcissism and power anxiety. It is psychological. The same thing happens when a athlete finally breaks up his or her body and cant perform anymore. No adulation from the crowd and peers. No idea what to do with your life without the competition, which for so many years they focused single mindedly on to the exclusion of all else

In college I used on a small scale for a year or two.
I will tell you that both above post are correct
Depending on the drug, you can "crash" if you do not taper off at the end of a "cycle". I did this once, I was not told to taper and man, it sucked for a few days.
On the other point, I know many who couldn't quit for emotional reasons. It is a change for a young guy to not be the biggest/stand out in a crowd. You do notice when this happens. Esp when the guy on them was a pencil neck before....."meatheadedness" is all he's got, like the guys posing on a Harley in their new chaps. It's their ticket to get in a group. (BTW:Neither of those examples should ever make fun of a frat.)
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 4:28:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/10/2006 4:34:01 AM EDT by gus]
Hmmm.... The All Drug Olympics eh?? Lots of entertainment potential there!

Edit: Trying to find the video online to no avail. I have a copy if anyone can host it....
Top Top