Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/9/2006 2:26:44 PM EDT
So not only does he park a BUSINESS VEHICLE in his driveway, he has KIDS TOYS in the yard and sometimes GRILLS ON THE FRONT PORCH.

But to make matters even worse today he MADE REPAIRS to his sewer line. Didn't pull any permits just dug it all up and did the work HIMSELF.

And the yard looks like THIS:

And we DON'T have a HOA.

So I have NO WAY of getting him in trouble or making him do things MY WAY.

How can I go on if I can't FORCE MY VALUES ON HIM AND HIS PROPERTY?

So I just grabbed a shovel and helped him fill it in when the connection was repaired.

For those who have no idea what I'm talking about:

The Most Absolutely Gorgeous House That I Refused To Buy...

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 2:28:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/9/2006 2:29:24 PM EDT by Yossarian]
Let me be the first to say....if you bought that new house with the HOA.....this never would have happened.

Edit:

Well, I guess you said it first....but I could not resist.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 2:34:29 PM EDT

I have read more stories on ARFCOM about bad neighbors than bad HOA.

YMMV.

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 2:34:55 PM EDT
Damn!! All those EBRs and you cannot manage to "tighten" him up?
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 2:37:35 PM EDT
Can you move in next to me?

I need help moving railroad ties to my fence to keep the dogs in
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 2:38:13 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Bubbatheredneck:

YMMV.

Seriously... HOAs rarely do anything unless there are just a lot of complaints about stuff like neighbors who dig up their sewer lines.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 2:42:06 PM EDT
And what is the problem exactly?

He has toys in his yard? OMG!!!

He parks his utility truck at home? OMG!!!

You would prefer he went to China and cored through the center of the earth to repair his sewer line?

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 2:45:25 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Bubblehead597:

You would prefer he went to China and cored through the center of the earth to repair his sewer line?

Perhaps you should read the entire post.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 2:47:14 PM EDT
Don't you wish you had a HOA to complain to?

(I did read your other post)
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 2:49:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/9/2006 2:50:34 PM EDT by recoiljunky]
I don't know man. I live in a neighborhood that looks to be as closely packed as yours. Next time I'll skip the homeowner's association and the whole damn neighborhood and live on some acreage. For the price of a house in a homeowners associated neighborhood you can buy a few acres and piss in your yard without drawing attention.

And do homeowners associations really restrict pickups with service bodies?

Edited to add: I did read the other post, and I do get it.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 2:49:57 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Outsider_10fp:

I need to work on my sarcasm. It's just not obvious enough.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 2:51:59 PM EDT
HOAs rarely do anything unless you support the troops -

Stacey Kelley, the wife of an Army private now serving in Iraq, faces a $100-a-day fine for posting a 'Support Our Troops' sign in her Westchase yard. Homeowners' association rules prohibit residents from posting most signs.

Link -

http://www.tbo.com/news/metro/MGBY9HYLKKE.html

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 2:54:53 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Goonboss:

OK but you are buying lunch.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 2:56:02 PM EDT
You should call the utilities company to see if he called before he dug. Also, most cities and counties require a work permit for anything that affects utilities.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 2:59:02 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SteyrAUG:

Originally Posted By Outsider_10fp:

I need to work on my sarcasm. It's just not obvious enough.

Apparently your "sarcasm-fu" is weak today.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:02:23 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Goonboss:

OK but you are buying lunch.

I'll BBQ it on my back porch with my obnoxiously big
charcoal grill
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:03:26 PM EDT
Why can't I find good neighbors like the ones I had back in the south :(
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:03:29 PM EDT
I was getting pissed about halfway through (I read your HOA thread) I thought you were the world's biggest hippocrite. Good one!
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:04:05 PM EDT

Originally Posted By JoseyWales:
You should call the utilities company to see if he called before he dug. Also, most cities and counties require a work permit for anything that affects utilities.

[sigh]

While I appreciate the help, I really think you guys need to read the stuff UNDER the picture.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:04:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/9/2006 3:05:06 PM EDT by SteyrAUG]

Originally Posted By Dilbert_556:
I was getting pissed about halfway through (I read your HOA thread) I thought you were the world's biggest hippocrite. Good one!

Bless You Sir. I was losing faith.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:07:56 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:11:23 PM EDT
5 acres, a shanty, and peace.

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:11:28 PM EDT
Good luck selling your house. Without a HOA your neighbor could paint his house purple and there would be nothing you could do to maintain the value of your property. Your home is probably worth about $50 right now. If he starts feeling artistic then you may have to pay someone to take it from you.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:13:04 PM EDT

YMMV.

DING-DING-DING! WE HAVE A WINNER!
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:15:12 PM EDT

Originally Posted By motown_steve:
Good luck selling your house. Without a HOA your neighbor could paint his house purple and there would be nothing you could do to maintain the value of your property. Your home is probably worth about $50 right now. If he starts feeling artistic then you may have to pay someone to take it from you.

Oh No?!? Whatever shall I do when Broward is currently in the LARGEST HOUSING DEFICIT in 30 years.

I could paint this house purple and put a picture of Oprah on the front lawn and still get market value.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:25:46 PM EDT

After reading the follow on postings, I guess I did miss your attempted sarcasm. And yes, I read your other thread yesterday, but sounded like you were mad having to put up with a bad neighbor and not getting the house you want because of the HOA.

Either you or I are out of sync with the sarcastic plane today.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:28:43 PM EDT

After reading the follow on postings, I guess I did miss your attempted sarcasm. And yes, I read your other thread yesterday, but sounded like you were mad having to put up with a bad neighbor and not getting the house you want because of the HOA.

Either you or I are out of sync with the sarcastic plane today.

No prob. I've done it.

And for everyone else...the post WAS a joke of about HOAs and my neighbor couldn't be a nicer guy.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:44:01 PM EDT

Originally Posted By recoiljunky:

Some do. And some of these little neighborhoodninny type groups even restrict regular pickups & motorcycles.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:51:30 PM EDT

Originally Posted By RiffRandall:

Originally Posted By recoiljunky:

Some do. And some of these little neighborhoodninny type groups even restrict regular pickups & motorcycles.

A popular one here in Florida is not allowing boats or trailers to be parked where they are visible from the road.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:03:35 PM EDT

Anybody remember the old "My redneck Neighbor" website that was around a few years ago. A guy made a website and posted pics of all sorts of things his neighbor did. Things like a 30 foot flagpole in the front yard, a homemade brick mailbox that looked like hell, pigs in the backyard, the guy burnt down his backporch which was littered with empty beer bottles that were overflowing with butts, and some kind of wierd chicken coop structure.

One of the best websites ever, it doesn't exist anymore though.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:06:23 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:18:18 PM EDT
You're both 'necks.

Remember your sniper at night pictorial? I made the decision on you then.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:21:41 PM EDT
SteyrAUG,

why do you have a problem with this guy parking his service truck in his driveway?

No offense man but consider that this guy's truck=his job, his livelihood(sp?). My dad is a mechanic and he needs his truck for his job.

When we lived in a Single Family house in inner-city Chicago my dad parked his service truck in the driveway and didn't have a problem. The neighbors didn't complain, the city didn't complain.

Now we live in an apartment complex, and the neighbors don't care but the PD pulled some BS complaint on him for not being allowed to park there because of his tag being the wrong endorsment to park there. But it was and he was in the right.

What I want to reitereate is I don't understand why it's a problem to park his truck there.

FWIW the house in the HOA thread was a nice looking one IMO.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:28:37 PM EDT
Im glad i live in the sticks and not close to either one of you , or have an HOA to answer to ,i like being free.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:30:05 PM EDT
Is that a double wide next to you ?
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:30:35 PM EDT

Originally Posted By deej86:
SteyrAUG,

why do you have a problem with this guy parking his service truck in his driveway?

No offense man but consider that this guy's truck=his job, his livelihood(sp?). My dad is a mechanic and he needs his truck for his job.

When we lived in a Single Family house in inner-city Chicago my dad parked his service truck in the driveway and didn't have a problem. The neighbors didn't complain, the city didn't complain.

Now we live in an apartment complex, and the neighbors don't care but the PD pulled some BS complaint on him for not being allowed to park there because of his tag being the wrong endorsment to park there. But it was and he was in the right.

What I want to reitereate is I don't understand why it's a problem to park his truck there.

Your putting too much thought into it.

Hes being sarcastic.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:35:11 PM EDT
And I bet he owns a Glock.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:39:30 PM EDT
His kids play in the front yard and leave toys! He cooks in front of his house! Holy shit, I wouldn't want anyone knowing I don't have a servant to cook all my food for me! It's not like he's taking a shit in the yard. The digging is a bit much, but would it look much different if he had hired someone to dig it up? They might get it done a little faster, but it would look just the same.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:40:03 PM EDT

YMMV.

maybe its because the HOA wont let them post negatively about the HOA
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:41:15 PM EDT
You sound like a city boy.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:45:13 PM EDT
So... is it legal for the guy to touch his sewer line without a permit?

I would think he could get into a lot of trouble, city government being what it is.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:47:55 PM EDT

The Most Absolutely Gorgeous House That I Refused To Buy...

It wasn't that nice of a house. You can do better.

Build it yourself!

If you enjoy HOA's you'll LOVE sub-contractors.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:07:57 PM EDT
The lack of reading comprehension in this thread is amazing.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:20:11 PM EDT

Originally Posted By GerberSchwintz:
The lack of reading comprehension in this thread is amazing.

Wow
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:29:32 PM EDT
HOAs are a terrible thing (I got the sarcasm in the post right away too), I did a service call the other night to this apartment/townhouse development out in the deep 'burbs of nowhere...as I pull in, big signs on each side of the entrance driveway stating "NO MOTORCYCLES"... as I drove around the complex looking for the address, I kept seeing more of the same signs all over the parking lots.... WTF? There was maybe 2 or 3 entrances to this place, and yet you got signs all over the inside after having them at the entrances. I thought 'man I hope none of my friends move to a place like this.... I'd never visit them in the summer or nice weather'. I ride the bike as much as I can when the weather is decent, acceptable, or otherwise not raining/snowing on me.

HOAs make as much sense as "buying an apartment'...err, that's called a condominium right? No way am I gonna buy a part of a building and then be at the mercy of the people living above and below me and each side...and then have a "building management" to boot!

I used to do security at a decent apartment building, even got to become the Security Director at one of the smaller buildings later, and no way could I ever see myself living in an apartment...much less buying a condo.

Oh, and BTW.... even factory strip housing on the east side of Detroit would be better than living under a HOA. At least its a house you can do wht you want in...even if it is 3 feet from the next house.

No Expert
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:29:58 PM EDT
We had a bunch of retired Nazi's take over the HOA where I live and if you left your garbage bin out 2 hours too long they fined you. Made it kind of hard on me because of the hours I worked at the time.

At the yearly meeting there was a near riot when a majority of the homeowners showed up at the local school gym where the meeting had to be held. They were all yelling at the HOA board and demanded that open positions be filled with an immediate vote. A new majority was voted in and the HOA president of about 70 years with an attorney present said he was going to sue everyone. A bunch of rednecks told him he better move if he thought he was going to sue anyone (veiled threats to his life and property).

Unfortunately, the newly elected board swung completely the other direction. Communists who have a resident committee for everything and want to do all kinds of crap for the good of the community. Raised the dues for block parties where they close of the main road for a day setting up jumping castles and crap. I though HOA fees were for insurance and community repairs, not parties for the kids of the subdivision.

The subdivision looked alot better when the Nazi's were running the place, now it just looks run down and cluttered. 3 more years and I move to my place in Michigan, outside of town, only a neighbor on each side of me and state land to the rear. No more HOA's for me.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:30:29 PM EDT
If I was your neighbor I would have made a fence out of that barricade ribbon;

With empty beer bottles!
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:29:38 PM EDT

Originally Posted By deej86:
SteyrAUG,

Ok...it is time to start handing out F's in reading comprehension.

YOU GET AN F.

At least your POV is correct.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:30:08 PM EDT

Originally Posted By billy_bob:
Im glad i live in the sticks and not close to either one of you , or have an HOA to answer to ,i like being free.

F
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:30:44 PM EDT

Originally Posted By all4freedom:
His kids play in the front yard and leave toys! He cooks in front of his house! Holy shit, I wouldn't want anyone knowing I don't have a servant to cook all my food for me! It's not like he's taking a shit in the yard. The digging is a bit much, but would it look much different if he had hired someone to dig it up? They might get it done a little faster, but it would look just the same.

F
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:31:16 PM EDT

Originally Posted By RUSSIANCATKILLA:
You sound like a city boy.

F
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top