Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/9/2006 1:31:13 PM EDT

"A high school scholar, Cloyd fixated on hunting" [church arsons] and my emails to the paper

After reading that headline, and the crap thereafter in the article, I was compelled to reply:

-----Original Message-----

Sent:   Thursday, March 09, 2006 3:56 PM
To:     Carla Crowder; Marie Leech
Cc:     Stan Diel

Subject:        Church arson reporting question

Can you explain to me what Cloyd's enthusiasm of hunting has to do with his
crimes of arson?  My colleagues and I fail to see any connection, and are
appalled at the implied allegations.  Are you going to tell us next that
guns cause arson too?

Please stop attempting to intertwine anti- second amendment liberalism into
your reporting.  In this region of the United States, these things are not
taken lightly.  Thank you.

Beetle

Her reply:

We will report the facts of a story as we see them. If Mr. Cloyd had expressed an affinity for baking, skateboarding, genetic engineering or some other interest, we would have reported that as well.  That he happened to revel in high powered weaponry, "killing innocent animals" (his words, not mine) and drinking copious amounts of beer to such an extent that his website was laden with such references has nothing to do with liberalism or the Second Amendment.

Thank you for your interest, but I doubt we will "stop" reporting facts based on your email.

FYI...

“We were told by official sources ... that seemingly some drinking, some night hunting, was ultimately what led to all of this,” said Randy Youngblood, the campus police chief at Birmingham-Southern College, where two of the three suspects were enrolled.

Carla Crowder  
[email protected]
Staff Writer
The Birmingham News
(205) 325-2460

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 2:06:18 PM EDT
[#1]
You aren't ever gonna win with them, they always have a reason.

But good try.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 2:14:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Since they also mentioned the math team and other activities, I don't see how they singled out his hunting as being related to arson. It's strange, actually, what might have caused this kid to self-destruct. Ironic about his involvement in Students Against Destructive Decisions. Too much drinking let his paranoia get the best of him?
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 2:35:24 PM EDT
[#3]

By college, soccer was still an interest. But he added "killing innocent animals, running over squirrels with my 4runner" and "alcoholic libations."

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top