Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/9/2006 6:21:52 AM EDT

"Sexual harassment is a crime," reads the printed ad.

Yeah but where's the wife-beater shirt?

Sex dolls fight Mexican machismo

Mexico's government is using blow-up sex dolls in a new TV campaign against sexual harassment in the workplace.

The ads feature dolls, dressed as secretaries and maids, who have to put up with leering and groping from male colleagues.

Officials say the aim of the campaign is to make clear that women are not sexual objects.

President Vicente Fox acknowledged on Wednesday that Mexico has to do more to overcome widespread machismo.

"Our society still has a long way to go in overcoming hangovers from the past, eradicating prejudice and changing habits," he said.

However, Mr Fox has himself caused offence recently by joking that women were just "washing machines with two legs".

'Degrading'

The launch of the campaign, which also includes billboards and radio ads, coincided with International Women's Day on Wednesday. It is scheduled to run until mid-April.

"No woman should be treated like an object. Sexual harassment is degrading and it's a crime," says a voice-over at the end of the TV ad.

Correspondents say machismo runs deep in Mexico , where it is common for men to have mistresses, and in some cases, set them up in a second home.

Women generally earn less than male colleagues and have fewer opportunities for promotion - inappropriate behaviour toward them is said to be relatively frequent.

Mexican officials have also acknowledged that the country still has a problem with domestic violence against women.

Tsk-tsk. Such animosity for such a deep and proud Mexican cultural heritage.

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:31:04 AM EDT
Seeking a new paradigm between men and women might be the death of us all.

It is a Brave New World where men are no longer masters and women no longer slaves. Kinda has a civil war flavor to it but the reality is that neither is very experienced at giving the other respect nor acting as if they deserve it.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:08:03 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:13:25 PM EDT

Originally Posted By JavaMan:
DUPE

Double Dupe
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:19:24 PM EDT
Why do they want to ruin a good thing
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:32:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/9/2006 4:35:34 PM EDT by 22bad]

Originally Posted By Chaingun:
Why do they want to ruin a good thing

This would probably be a good opportunity to defend the calling of DUPE

I am a fan of The_Macallan, I just think it would be better if the comments
were included in the one thread, that way it wouldn't show up in the active topics
multiple times and anyone interested in the topic could easily see ALL the responses

The above is the personal opinion of 22bad, and is not to be construed as containing any facts

eta: and by "the one thread" I mean the one that duped MY thread............
Top Top