Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/8/2006 9:47:45 PM EDT
I'm scouting for a location for my SHTF bunker. I need to know in how high the waters are supposed to be once all the ice in the world melts.  Plus I think the greater the elevation, the less of a chance that zombies will come after me. What zombie wants to climb up a mountain when there's easy pickings down in the valley???
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:48:54 PM EDT
[#1]
87 feet
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:49:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Dude...like,  just learn to surf.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:49:55 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
What zombie wants to climb up a mountain when there's easy pickings down in the valley???

Zombies don't work like that.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:51:51 PM EDT
[#4]
You mean you believe all of the scietific data compliled over decades of research by thousands of experts about global warming, what a sucker!
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:52:40 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
You mean you believe all of the scietific data compliled over decades of research by thousands of experts about global warming, what a sucker!

huh?
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:54:21 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

huh?

It was a joke, sarcasm.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:55:15 PM EDT
[#7]
All those mountains are already owned by the rich guys, get a boat
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:56:30 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

That's why I need to know how high the water is going to go. Then I'll buy out one of the rich guys that fall above those levels.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:56:35 PM EDT
[#9]
The water level is going to be so high that we all live on boats or floating cities. The idea of "Dry Land" is a fantasy in the eyes of the majority.

We will end up drinking our urin through crude water purification devices.

Strangely, the world is still run by those in charge of Exxon Mobil tanker ships.

Zombies will be a thing of the past.

Mutants are the new craze behind preparitory defenses and are socially unacceptable.

Forget the idea of the high elevation underground bunker... look into the newest most durrable fishing rods.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:57:30 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

And I saw waterworld...I don't want to be one of those guys living on a boat!
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:57:45 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's why I need to know how high the water is going to go. Then I'll buy out one of the rich guys that fall above those levels.

I think it was covered in one of the Bond movies
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:58:45 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And I saw waterworld...I don't want to be one of those guys living on a boat!

Don't worry, I think there was quite a population reduction before the time that movie was set
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:00:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Answer: They won't rise. The icecaps displace the water. When that happens the water will take the place of the icecaps.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:03:46 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Answer: They won't rise. The icecaps displace the water. When that happens the water will take the place of the icecaps.

only on the nothern icecap - it's the one floating in the ocean.

the ice covering antarctica is on land, so if it melted (extremely unlikely, because temps would ahve to go up about 70 degrees down there) then it would end up adding to the overall water levels.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:15:14 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

only on the nothern icecap - it's the one floating in the ocean.

the ice covering antarctica is on land, so if it melted (extremely unlikely, because temps would ahve to go up about 70 degrees down there) then it would end up adding to the overall water levels.

Well stab me in the eye. A landmass.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:20:31 PM EDT
[#16]
One estimate I saw a few years ago is that if all the ice currently in glaciers, Greenland, Antarctica, etc. melted, the ocean water level would rise by about 100 meters.  Don't forget that water above sea level is not part of the ocean level currently, unless it is floating in the ocean (think of ice cubes in a glass vs. ice cubes in a strainer above a glass).

Remember, the world has gone through these cycles before, and will again.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:20:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Duh.  Never thought about that.  Another thing I can use to make a tree hugger STFU.  What about glaciers?  Does glacial ice amount to enough volume to make even a bit of difference?
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:23:56 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

But never with the threat of zombies looming over us!
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:25:50 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Duh.  Never thought about that.  Another thing I can use to make a tree hugger STFU.  What about glaciers?  Does glacial ice amount to enough volume to make even a bit of difference?

Hahah my cousin is a tree hugger. I made a comment about my 400 watt bulb for my homebrew projector, and she was like "You know how many poor fish die and the resources it takes for your leisure? That makes me sick"

I just sat back in my chair and said "Hey, if I don't use it, someone else will."

She shut up.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:26:23 PM EDT
[#20]
hope it rises fast enough to drown all of cali then go back down so that  thinking americans can take it over.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:26:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Read the State of Fear by Michael Crichton and you won't worry about global warming for ever. You can also check out his website and read his speeches.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:29:06 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Read the State of Fear by Michael Crichton and you won't worry about global warming for ever. You can also check out his website and read his speeches.

That hack has never addressed the threat of mutant zombies, so I really don't care what he thinks!!!

(threat, not thread, dangit!)
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:33:30 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That hack has never addressed the thread of mutant zombies, so I really don't care what he thinks!!!

Yes he did… dinosaurs eat zombies.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:44:43 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Ever heard of thermal expansion? Look it up.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:48:03 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That hack has never addressed the thread of mutant zombies, so I really don't care what he thinks!!!

What if the zombies bite the dinosaurs?

Holy shit!  Zombie dinosaurs!  

What's the best round for zombie dinosaurs?

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:59:29 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What does that mean... water contracts in volume when it melts...

If significant volumes of ice were to melt from Antarctica and Greenland the oceans will rise… they say the ice on Antarctica might be melting what they don’t say is the ice around on Greenland is increasing. Problem with that is most of what is reported to support global warming varies from thin speculation to outright lie. The northern polar ice cap can melt and not make one bit of difference because it is already floating in water and displace the same volume in the oceans melted or frozen

The earth temperature fluctuates… ALWAYS has before humans were here, before industrialization.

Ocean levels rise and fall… sea levels were significantly higher during the middle ages.

If (that is a big if) it is warming now human don’t have a damn thing to do with it.

Don’t matter anyway zombies don’t need air conditioning.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 11:00:22 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

All you need is a 10/22 and a 38.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 11:13:19 PM EDT
[#28]
I will start off by saying, global warming is just another thing to keep us worried.

secondly. Read the book:

STATE OF FEAR.

then, you will understand what really goes on.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 11:13:24 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hahah my cousin is a tree hugger. I made a comment about my 400 watt bulb for my homebrew projector, and she was like "You know how many poor fish die and the resources it takes for your leisure? That makes me sick"

I just sat back in my chair and said "Hey, if I don't use it, someone else will."

She shut up.

Yes, but I watch Then Nature Channel with it, so it balances out the evil.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 11:15:58 PM EDT
[#30]
I would have to say that the Hellfire anti-take missle is the best round for zombie dinosaurs.  That is why civilians should be allowed to own apache helocoptors along with the required ordinance.

I however don't worry about the zombie threat.  I think the aliens that are using mcdonalds and other fast food joints to fatten us up are going to get us long before the zombie dinos.  If you didn't figure it out when Fat Burgers started showing up you have to be a bit thick in the head.

If you think about it, the government should be increasing the national guard and providing them with much better weapons.  When the zombie/aliens come to eat us all the national guard, local police and random shooting enthusiasts will be the ones to bear the storm front (Seeing as all of our troops seem to be going to one sandbox or another).  But that the govt does not do this is a clear sign that they have been suborned by the alien zombie dinosaurs.

If this ain't a thread highjack, I don't know what is.

--mort

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Holy shit!  Zombie dinosaurs!  hock.gif

hr
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 11:23:48 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

155mm.

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 11:33:53 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What does that mean... water contracts in volume when it melts...

Only to a certain point, then it expands. The relationship between temperature and density is not linear for water. This is a pretty basic scientific fact.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 11:43:56 PM EDT
[#33]
200'
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 11:47:53 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

.22LR
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:02:56 AM EDT
[#35]
There are just as many glaciers growing as are melting. Thry make for bad press, and no research dollars, so you don't hear about them.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:13:40 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

.22LR

It's a perfect round for a hungry dinosaur! You just simply pump a few into the knee of the nearest person, given they aren't the primary pie giver, and run.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:18:27 AM EDT
[#37]
why should they rise at all?
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:21:25 AM EDT
[#38]
Global warming??????????
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:24:16 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
One estimate I saw a few years ago is that if all the ice currently in glaciers, Greenland, Antarctica, etc. melted, the ocean water level would rise by about 100 meters.  Don't forget that water above sea level is not part of the ocean level currently, unless it is floating in the ocean (think of ice cubes in a glass vs. ice cubes in a strainer above a glass).

WAIT!!!  NO!!!!  It can't be true!!!!   The world could never have gone through a global warming period on its own!!! THERE WERE NO CARS OR HUMANS OR EVIL CAPITALISTS OR NOTHING BACK THEN!!

I don't care that most of Florida used to be under water, it is just a conspiracy by Halliburton to make us THINK that the Earth has its own cycles, independant of human influence.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:40:17 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
200'

That is right.  As much as 200 FEET

North Pole Meets South Pole: Earth Is Melting at Both Ends

March 2) - For the first time, scientists have confirmed Earth is melting at both ends, which could have disastrous effects for coastal cities and villages.

Antarctica has been called "a slumbering giant" by a climate scientist who predicts that if all the ice melted, sea levels would rise by 200 feet. Other scientists believe that such a thing won't happen, but new studies show that the slumbering giant has started to stir.

Melting at Both Ends

Recent studies have confirmed that the North Pole and the South Pole have started melting.

Experts have long predicted that global warming would start to melt Greenland's two-mile-thick ice sheet, but they also thought the more massive ice sheet covering Antarctica would increase in the 21st century.

It seems they were wrong.

Two new studies find that despite the increasing snowfall that comes with global warming as a result of the increased moisture in the air, Antarctica's ice sheets are losing far more than the snow is adding.

According to the National Academy of Sciences, Earth's surface temperature has risen by about 1 degree Fahrenheit in the last century, with accelerated warming during the last two decades. Most of the warming over the last 50 years is attributable to human activities through the buildup of greenhouse gases — primarily carbon dioxide, methane and nitrous oxide. Although the heat-trapping property of these gases is undisputed, uncertainties exist about exactly how Earth's climate responds to them.

"The warming ocean comes underneath the ice shelves and melts them from the bottom, and warmer air from the top melts them from the top," said NASA glaciologist Jay Zwally. "So they're thinning and eventually they get to a point where they go poof!"

Zwally explains that the ice shelves, which the Antarctic ice cap pushes out into the ocean, are responding more than they expected to Earth's warming air and water. If the melting speeds up to a rapid runaway process called a "collapse," coastal cities and villages could be in danger.

James Hansen, director of NASA's Earth Science Research, said that disaster could probably be avoided, but that it would require dramatically cutting emission outputs. If the proper actions aren't taken, Hansen said, the sea level could rise as much as 80 feet by the time today's children reach middle age.

"We now must choose between a serious problem that we can probably handle and, if we don't act soon, unmitigated disaster down the road," Hansen said.

Scientists looking at ice cores can now read Earth's temperatures from past millennia and match them to sea levels from those eras.

"Based on the history of the Earth, if we can keep the warming less than 2 degrees Fahrenheit, I think we can avoid disastrous ice sheet collapse," Hansen said.

Hansen and other scientists point out that a rise of at least 1 degree Fahrenheit — and another few feet of sea level — seem virtually certain to happen because of the carbon that mankind has already put in the atmosphere.

Copyright 2006 ABCNEWS.com

2006-03-02 12:18:22

reference.aol.com/article?id=20060302121809990001

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:06:14 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:
200'

March 2) - For the first time, scientists have confirmed Earth is melting at both ends, which could have disastrous effects for coastal cities and villages.

That whole article is full of shit about how scientists thought one thing, but it is "really" another.  They were wrong and now they are right, etc.  Blah blah blah.  The one thing with climate that I have discovered in my short 28 years, is that the only time when "scientists" are 100% right about ANYTHING related to climate is the PAST.  

This quote from the article basically disproves the whole concept of the article: "Although the heat-trapping property of these gases is undisputed, uncertainties exist about exactly how Earth's climate responds to them."

So how the FUCK can these jack-offs say with any certainty that A: Humans are causing the ice caps to melt and B: That this is a long or short duration cycle due to air or ocean temperatures and currents.  

I have noticed that scientists also have trouble predicting the nature of El Nino and La Nina, and can only do short range ACCURATE predictions of what is happening.  Long range predictions are a joke and completely inaccurate.

ETA:  This person sounds like chicken little: "James Hansen, director of NASA's Earth Science Research, said that disaster could probably be avoided, but that it would require dramatically cutting emission outputs. If the proper actions aren't taken, Hansen said, the sea level could rise as much as 80 feet by the time today's children reach middle age.

"We now must choose between a serious problem that we can probably handle and, if we don't act soon, unmitigated disaster down the road," Hansen said.

Scientists looking at ice cores can now read Earth's temperatures from past millennia and match them to sea levels from those eras.

"Based on the history of the Earth, if we can keep the warming less than 2 degrees Fahrenheit, I think we can avoid disastrous ice sheet collapse," Hansen said."

Sounds like "The Population Bomb"   "Peak Oil"  "The Coming ICE AGE" and every other "disaster" prediction that was written in the 1950's, 1960's and 1970's that had the world's ass in a sling by 1990-2000.

Here is some info on Jimmy-Boy "James Hansen, whose 1988 pronouncements started the clamor for action to prevent global warming, wrote in the 1998 Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences that "the forcings that drive long-term climate change are not known with accuracy sufficient to define future climate change." So much for being sure."

This guy is a politically motivated turd who makes grandiose pronouncements to further his leftist, environmentalist goals.

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:15:16 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
200'

That whole article is full of shit about how scientists thought one thing, but it is "really" another.  They were wrong and now they are right, etc.  Blah blah blah.  The one thing with climate that I have discovered in my short 28 years, is that the only time when "scientists" are 100% right about ANYTHING related to climate is the PAST.  

This quote from the article basically disproves the whole concept of the article: "Although the heat-trapping property of these gases is undisputed, uncertainties exist about exactly how Earth's climate responds to them."

So how the FUCK can these jack-offs say with any certainty that A: Humans are causing the ice caps to melt and B: That this is a long or short duration cycle due to air or ocean temperatures and currents.  

I have noticed that scientists also have trouble predicting the nature of El Nino and La Nina, and can only do short range ACCURATE predictions of what is happening.  Long range predictions are a joke and completely inaccurate.

Maybe those scientists should listen to YOU.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:18:42 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
87 feet

Research has PROVEN THIS beyond a shadow of a doubt!!!!

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:28:00 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Maybe those scientists should listen to YOU.

Yes, maybe they should.  They are politically motivated shitheads.  Let me repost what I posted above:

This guy in the article, James Hansen, is regarded by the author as a good source of evidence.

Read this from the NCPA  This article actually has numbers showing that the US actually FILTERS more emissions then it CREATES.

This guy is a SCREAMING lefty.  Say that people have Misrepresented him, standard leftist reaction to opposing viewpoints.

Link

Link  (in this article it shows that Jimmy has been revising his estimates constantly for the past 18 years to LESS AND LESS of a warming trend, but he is still hollering about it.)

Here he is claiming that GWB tried to "SCILENCE HIM" Link

Hell of a source.

ETA:

Here is another article from the CATO institute:
link

My favorite excerpt from it:

"In all fairness, Mr. Hansen still calls for emissions reductions. That position seems remarkably illogical, except that it is likely to keep him from being stoned by the greens, who feel increasingly betrayed by their once-apocalyptic hero, the man who hosed down global warming."

This was written a couple years ago, and I think it is funny that this shitbird pops up screaming again as election time starts rolling up.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:28:27 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
You just simply pump a few into the knee of the nearest person, given they aren't the primary pie giver, and run.

Now that has to be some of the highest quality sig line material available!
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:30:13 AM EDT
[#46]
Hopefully it rises up to Nevada's western border.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:43:41 AM EDT
[#47]
Clips from a water-based SHTF training movie.

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:54:02 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ever hear of thermal stratification?  The oceans are only a fraction above the freezing point for most of their depths.  Its is only near the surface where the temperatures get warm.

And on the world's ice masses suddenly melting, it will not happen.  There is no amount of global warming that will melt the ice on Greenland, Iceland or Antartica.  Glacier ice represents only a tiny fraction of the total ice.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:36:07 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:
You just simply pump a few into the knee of the nearest person, given they aren't the primary pie giver, and run.

Now that has to be some of the highest quality sig line material available!

Well..... thanks!
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:46:25 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Actually they aren’t even right about that… the computer models they use to predict global warming CANNOT be run in reverse to predict what happen it the past… meaning these models are completely WORTHLESS for predicting the future.

The idea that ocean levels are going to rise 200 feet any time in the near or distance future is a bald faced LIE designed to generate fear and funding. It is a claim to believed only by the most dull of idiots.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top