Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/8/2006 8:57:30 PM EDT

I'm guessing that's a camera mounted on the rail feeding video to the funky eye-piece?
Thoughts?
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:58:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Old news. Thats my thought.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:59:57 PM EDT
[#2]
They dont have a k-pot cover in ACU yet?
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:00:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Huh.  I hadn't seen a Land Warrior picture since before the woodland to ACU changeover.  Didn't know this program was still getting the spotlight.  Were'd you grab it from?

Yes, the eyepiece is hooked to a camera on the barrel.  As well as a bunch of other info it can act as a sighting system for the rifle...so you can hold it around corners or over walls and fire effectively without sticking your head out.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:01:02 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I can get him a MARPAT cover if the guy wanted one

Not to hijack - anyone know where I can buy a K-pot?
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:02:47 PM EDT
[#5]
He looks too clean to be testing the land warrior system effectively.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:03:52 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Huh.  I hadn't seen a Land Warrior picture since before the woodland to ACU changeover.  Didn't know this program was still getting the spotlight.  Were'd you grab it from?

Yes, the eyepiece is hooked to a camera on the barrel.  As well as a bunch of other info it can act as a sighting system for the rifle...so you can hold it around corners or over walls and fire effectively without sticking your head out.

link to pics

The reason I asked about it...
If it is a camera feeding the eye-piece...how do you use the ACOG? It seems like it would be tough to have video in one eye and using the sight in the other. Doesn't this defeat the purpose of the ACOG's BAC?
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:05:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Is the flash suppressor supposed to be positioned like that?
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:06:37 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Hmmm, now that you mention it...guess it's to direct muzzle flash away from the camera?
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:07:17 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hmmm, now that you mention...guess it's to direct muzzle flash away from the camera?

That would make sense.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:07:44 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

The reason I asked about it...
If it is a camera feeding the eye-piece...how do you use the ACOG? It seems like it would be tough to have video in one eye and using the sight in the other. Doesn't this defeat the purpose of the ACOG's BAC?

It looks like the guy is able to see around the eyepiece fairly well.  Hard to tell with his glasses on though.  Cover up half your right eye with your hand.  you can still see forward pretty well.  Looks like it kills the peripheral vision on the right eye.

Imagine the weirdness your brain would be doing trying to sight in with both a camera mounted on the firearm and trying to see down a sight.  Probably takes some training to overcome you head not liking it.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:11:46 PM EDT
[#11]
I guess it would work okay until you run out of battery juice.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:17:58 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I guess it would work okay until you run out of battery juice.

Hopefully the system doesn't weigh around 50lbs so it's not a milstone to carry around when you flip up the eyepiece and continue as normal because you do run out of power.  Assuming such a system is ever implemented.  Cool research program anyway, always good to be thinking of new stuff to help and protect the soldier if you ask me.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:19:20 PM EDT
[#13]
I can't see us ever using something like that.  I think that camera would get put up the minute the bullets started flying.  The link up b/t the soldier and high command as well as access to lots of battlefield info is a good thing though.  That will definately come into play sooner or later.

Also, does anyone know why we still use boom mics and not throat mics?  It seems like they wouldn't get in the way as much.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:22:15 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Also, does anyone know why we still use boom mics and not throat mics?  It seems like they wouldn't get in the way as much.

Looks to me like that was a decision to integrate more stuff into the helmet (the mic is attached to the chinstrap) rather than have yet another piece hanging off the guy.

EDIT: I wonder if they've thought about going short range wireless so you wouldn't snag shit all over the place?
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:43:40 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Looks to me like that was a decision to integrate more stuff into the helmet (the mic is attached to the chinstrap) rather than have yet another piece hanging off the guy.

EDIT: I wonder if they've thought about going short range wireless so you wouldn't snag shit all over the place?

I think I remember reading where they were going to use the "bone" mics that lay against your mandibular(sp) bone and esssentially uses your head as a mic/speaker to talk/hear.  I figure eventually the sight mounted on a weapon will combine camera/digital zoom/ranging/night vision/thermal capability in all one unit....eventually.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 11:50:37 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I can't see us ever using something like that.  I think that camera would get put up the minute the bullets started flying.  

Do not underestimate the ability and willfullness of the soldier to stick a camera where he wouldn't risk his head.  That alone is worthwhile and should be fielded separately from the maps and computers.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 12:13:41 PM EDT
[#17]
These things remind me of the smart gun from aliens.

Geeks know about the smart guns IR system and camera mount. The Camera is above the barrel and feeds info to the eyepeice that the user wears. In fictional technical manuals, the smart gun was imployed as a mobile "automated" gun turret. The mounting bracket (from gun to the users hips) was capable of helping the soldier steer itself onto the COM of a target that was caught on camera through the IR. This was used when "on the run" and through the eyepeice the soldier would see a crosshair indicating where the rifles line of sight was. Once this crosshair was intersected with an enemy, the soldier would just need to pull the trigger. Again, the gun assists the user in placing the crosshair on the target. It could be counteracted by simply pushing the gun away from where it wants to go, then it would shift to the next target. The auto aim system could be turned off.  

The user could switch to the IR camera from the headcamera or they could switch it to the IR camera over the barrel. This would allow the user to shoot over barriers by lifting the smart gun up to about eye level. They could then duck their head down and shoot over the bunker through the IR camera over the barrel of the gun. Similarly, they could lay down supine and tilt the gun downrange between there legs and let it pick out COM.

The gun was also mounted on the shoulders waist through a cam system that applied the weight of the rifle to the soldiers hips and waiste.  

This thing could allow soldiers to employ some stout loads since recoil would be absorbed in the users trunk.

I wish bushmaster would make something like this for us just for shits and giggles. Elcan could miniaturize there IR scope too.

Price tag only $30,000
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 12:16:34 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I can't see us ever using something like that.  I think that camera would get put up the minute the bullets started flying.  

Do not underestimate the ability and willfullness of the soldier to stick a camera where he wouldn't risk his head.  That alone is worthwhile and should be fielded separately from the maps and computers.

First thing I thought: It enables him to see and shoot around corners.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 12:22:07 PM EDT
[#19]
i have the same type of eyepiece assmebly for my thermal scope.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 12:35:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Looks like a Borge in camo to me.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 12:41:41 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I can get him a MARPAT cover if the guy wanted one

Not to hijack - anyone know where I can buy a K-pot?

Most of the new ACU armor seems to be in theatre right now.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 12:46:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 12:47:10 PM EDT
[#23]

Is the flash suppressor supposed to be positioned like that?

my guess is yes, to reduce the flash that is infront of the camera. just a guess though  hinking.gif
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 12:50:21 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
peosoldier.army.mil/images/swar/LW_ACU_ACOG_woods_187.jpg

I'm guessing that's a camera mounted on the rail feeding video to the funky eye-piece?
Thoughts?

For an imagining of what it will be Try here it is a series prided on realism.  Most of the landwarriors systems are represented.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 12:51:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 1:02:23 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thoughts?

For an imagining of what it will be Try here it is a series prided on realism.  Most of the landwarriors systems are represented.

X-Box 360 and realism, don't go together. Autoaim, hiding behind a trashcan that stops bullets for cover, taking on a tank with a rifle, and running into gunfire doesn't seem like very realistic experience to me...
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 1:12:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Why does the patch on his left arm have a sword and the words follow me?
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 1:13:38 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thoughts?

X-Box 360 and realism, don't go together. Autoaim, hiding behind a trashcan that stops bullets for cover, taking on a tank with a rifle, and running into gunfire doesn't seem like very realistic experience to me...

I own it no auto-aim and you certainly can not kill a tank with anything but rocket launchers and that usually takes two shots.  As far as cover some is destructable.  The systems are the interesting parts though.  It is about as realistic as games get.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 1:16:41 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah it's funny.

But you guys have to at least give this kid some credit. At least he isn't in front of the Xbox. Probably because he ate it. But he is out doing something "outside".

I'd give him a big thumbs up for getting out and moving around.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 1:17:58 PM EDT
[#30]
The camera is not Mil-Spec optics, it is either a show piece, a comercial development unit, or a COTS being tested because it have vent slots on the body, which is a no-no for military equipment, especially a piece of field / combat equipment.  The unit will never be able to pass environmental qualification, like dust and storm, rain, water immersion...etc.

I think this is a promo picture with only some resemblance of the actual gear.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:10:08 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Thats the Ft. Benning TRADOC patch I think.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 12:15:45 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

He's from Ft. Benning.  It's not a sword, but a bayonet, a traditional infantry weapon.  And the words, "Follow Me," are the traditional/generic infantry motto.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 12:21:27 AM EDT
[#33]
If anyone knows anything about the Land Warrior...its these guys.  

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:37:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Hey, whaddya know? The company I work for makes MOLLE components, the Low Profile Flotation Collars for the Air Warrior and the emergency chute, but those are only for E-2 flight crews program.

We also make ESAPI and metal & composite armor solutions for many military vehicles.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top