Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/8/2006 12:07:33 PM EDT
Do you think this idea is still relivant today? If so, instead of water, maybe some sort of new fluid?

EDIT: like a mounted gun or a machine gun that will stay put, generally.

Today, when my AK barrel got too hot (messing up my groupings BIG TIME, even for an AK), I tossed a rag in the cold water fountain and water cooled the barrel with (wrapped it around like a shroud). The barrel went to cool in about a minute, instead of a 5 minutes to just even let it START to cool down.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 12:43:13 PM EDT
[#1]
No takers? : p
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:13:23 PM EDT
[#2]
i've often wondered if it would work for a minigun. i remember seeing water cooled .50s that were used for antiaircraft work in ww2 but that's the last time i've ever seen it on anything official.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:21:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Some guy made a water jacket for his Pdog gun and there has been some talk about it on Benchrest.com
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:24:52 PM EDT
[#4]
It would certainly be a lot of rotating mass if you made a minigun with a water jacket...

I think its best served where you want a constant barrel temp, like a very high speed high drag p-dog gun.  That would just be awesome.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:25:02 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Some guy made a water jacket for his Pdog gun and there has been some talk about it on Benchrest.com

Right... there was a magazine article about it maybe 5 years ago. It was pretty elaborate, IIRC.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:25:16 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I remember reading about a similar thing in a magazine a few years ago.  They built two custom varmint guns with water-jacketed barrels and used an electric pump and a cooler full of ice to cool and circulate the water.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:27:17 PM EDT
[#7]
I think the issue is there is little demand for a fixed-position, sustained-fire machine gun today. We now have better ways of defending trenchlines and shooting down planes.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:32:19 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I think the issue is there is little demand for a fixed-position, sustained-fire machine gun today. We now have better ways of defending trenchlines and shooting down planes.

That i sprobably closest to the truth.  At the time, most soldiers had bolt guns, and the MG's were needed to suppress large groups of advancing enemy soldiers.  Now that every soldier has what is effectively a light machinegun, with a few heavier MG's around, constant intewrlocking fields of fire are no longer really necessary.  Warfare has evolved, so have the weapons.  Sort of a "chicken and egg" thing...
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:33:58 PM EDT
[#9]
best application for a water coolng rig: to make the gun heavy as shit
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:36:30 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Also, they are developing metal alloys for barrels that are a lot more durable and can withstand a lot more rounds through them without melting.  Witness the M60 video posted a few weeks ago where the guy put over 800 rounds of 7.62 through the barrel with one trigger pull.  That would destroy any other barrel.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:38:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Minigun barrel gets fired one sixth of the RPM and is rotating in the slipstream of an aircraft most of the time. The Navy still uses some watercooled M2's IIRC. The Haze Grey crowd does not have to worry about humping the gun as the ship takes care of that for them.

PDog hunters might use a water jacket to keep on firing but I can't think of another application that would need a water jacket.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:40:06 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Also, they are developing metal alloys for barrels that are a lot more durable and can withstand a lot more rounds through them without melting.  Witness the M60 video posted a few weeks ago where the guy put over 800 rounds of 7.62 through the barrel with one trigger pull.  That would destroy any other barrel.

quick change barrels.........................
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:11:54 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am familiar with quick change barrels, this was a development to try and make quick change barrels obselete.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:39:50 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am familiar with quick change barrels, this was a development to try and make quick change barrels obselete.

Or, is it to enhance the ability of the barrel to survive sustained fire. If it's on an M-60, I doubt it was designed to be a fixed barrel. It's a quick change barrel that can be used longer in between changes.

As far as water cooling-

Quick change barrels made water cooled barrels obsolete in the past, why would that change now?

Gatling guns, because their barrels rotate, and have multiple barrels, cool better than conventional MG's.

The only application that I can think that water cooling may be beneficial, would be on armored vehicles, where the barrel shroud can be protected.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:30:53 AM EDT
[#15]
The Russians use transpirational cooling on some of their naval AA guns.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:49:40 AM EDT
[#16]
New alloy-ceramic composite? barrels, with external fluting and polygonal rifling may work better, but I'm not sure how accurate it'd be.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 11:37:09 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Or, is it to enhance the ability of the barrel to survive sustained fire. If it's on an M-60, I doubt it was designed to be a fixed barrel. It's a quick change barrel that can be used longer in between changes.

First off, the standard M60 "quick change barrel" system sucked, if only because the barrel had the bipod attached, and the gun dropped when the barrel was removed; unless of course the weapon was properly attached to its tripod.

Second off, the weapon that I am referring too is an M60E4, which is designed to be a NON-CREW served weapon, as in one man.  One man that would have a harder time changing the barrel as the gunner.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top