Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/8/2006 11:48:48 AM EDT
I know some of you guys like Train pictures so here are a few from places I go. This is the 1st time I've attempted posting multiple pics and I hope this all works out and the pics aren't too big

Here are a pair of GEs latest and greatest on the Q41127 last fall stopped at Pepco waiting for a better signal before we climb the rest of the grade at Barnesville. FWIW these are the locomotives you may have seen in GEs latest commercial. This is on the Metropolitan Subdivision just outside of Brunswick MD going towards DC

Same Train looking at the Pepco signal from the cab. We had 45 cars and there wasa coal train ahead and we would have run him down and ran on bad signals all the way to DC so we sat and waited awhile

Here I am in DC just the other day and if I was quick enough with the camera you'd have seen one of Amtraks Accela trains coming into DC. I'm just to the east of F tower and you looking at the Northeast corridor to the right and that's the Capital Subdivision ahead of me going towards Baltimore

I hope there is no need to know where this is. I'm traveling south towards CP Virginia in DC. In the foreground thats Amtracks tracks going into Union Station

A minute later and now your looking at some Capitol Hill buildings, Amtrak in the foreground again

CP Virginia looking South

No explaination necessary

Jefferson Memorial traveling south getting ready to cross the Potomac into Virginia

Here we are looking South into Virginia at RO Interlocking. The Pentagon is off to the right  and your looking at the North End of Crystal City in Alexandria

Here we are traveling North ready to cross the Long Bridge into DC. This is my desktop picture right now temporarly taking the place of the 2 girls that are....ahhhhh...nevermind...this is about train pics

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 11:51:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Awesome. Always loved riding on trains.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 11:53:31 AM EDT
[#2]
That is cool.  I like da trains.

Mark.

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 11:54:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Great pics!

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 11:55:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Are the tracks guarded around DC?  Because it looked like you could get really close there...
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 11:56:57 AM EDT
[#5]
great pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 12:00:05 PM EDT
[#6]
My young son loves trains as many boys do.  He's asked me what one has to do to be a train engineer.  I've had to tell him I have no idea...

You look as if you might know...  What do you have to do to become a train engineer?

Kent

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 12:01:00 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Are the tracks guarded around DC?  Because it looked like you could get really close there...

in one simple word.... no, although the tunnel we go through in DC has a bunch of security equipment at both entrances
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 12:01:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the pics!  
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 12:03:04 PM EDT
[#9]
I love trains! Thanks for the pictures and I look forward to more!
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 12:03:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Sign me up, toot...toot
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 12:03:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Awesome stuff.  I always wondered what it looked out the front of the train.  I'm just used to looking out the side from Philly to DC or vice versa.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 12:05:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Do you do ride alongs?

<<<<<I'm local

Bomber
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 12:05:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Great pics!

Always wanted to do that myself. Tried to get on with UP or BNSF a long time ago when the flying gig wasn't going anywhere.

I always thought that railroading would be a prideful career (hauling all the stuff to fuel the economy etc.)

Be safe,

Flyer
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 12:05:45 PM EDT
[#14]
I've always wondered, what do those signals mean?
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 12:05:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Great photos.  Thanks for sharing!
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 12:06:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Will220, How about some pics of your workplace?
Controls. control panels etc!

Awesome pics!

edit: What do these things run on?
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 12:08:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Cool pics!  Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 12:09:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Trains rock!

Thanks for the pics
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 12:09:14 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
My young son loves trains as many boys do.  He's asked me what one has to do to be a train engineer.  I've had to tell him I have no idea...

You look as if you might know...  What do you have to do to become a train engineer?

Kent

As far as I know right now on CSX you have to go to one of the colleges that offers a class in "Railroad Technology"  I don't have a list of what the school names are but I think Marshall in Huntington West Virginia is one, anyway you pass your 5 week class and get hired and go through the conductor training program CSX has. After that your marked up as a railroad conductor and await the day your turn is called to go to engine school. Locomotive engine school is about 4 weeks and the I believe its 21 weeks of on the job training. As with all things on the railroad this info is subject to change but thats the way it is now or was as of a couple weeks ago.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 12:10:37 PM EDT
[#20]
What's wrong with running on approach signals?  I bet you want clear signals the whole way, and expect to always be hot, and never wait for hours in a siding, ha, ha.   I remember the time we never left the yard (11 hours sitting after building train, brakes, ect....).  Still had to deadhead up to Chatanooga though.

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 12:12:38 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Will220, How about some pics of your workplace?
Controls. control panels etc!

Awesome pics!

edit: What do these things run on?

I'll see what I can do on one of  my next few trips...  Diesel engine attached to a BIG Generator which power electric traction motors that sit in the trucks between the wheels
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 12:13:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Very enjoyable photos.  Thanks!

You get a different perspective from a train than you can from anywhere else.

One of my earliest memories is riding a train with my mom somewhere in Kansas in about 1960.  Then there was my first plane flight, on a Lockheed Constellation.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 12:16:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 12:17:03 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
What's wrong with running on approach signals?  I bet you want clear signals the whole way, and expect to always be hot, and never wait for hours in a siding, ha, ha.   I remember the time we never left the yard (11 hours sitting after building train, brakes, ect....).  Still had to deadhead up to Chatanooga though.

Nothing really but thats a 1.9% grade ahead and with that short train we'd run the coal drag down in no time so I like to give those trains some room and IF it all works out we do get a clear all the way to DC. On that subdivision there are no sidings and at that time of day if things go our way we'll cross DC (single track) and be on our way home in Virginia. Trust me...I sit plenty of times waiting in terminals, in sidings and at hotels
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 12:18:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Do freight trains have toilets or any sort of galley in them?
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 12:19:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Tell me honestly - did you get to blow the whistle???  

CMOS
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 12:20:23 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Do you guys ever hit deer?  

All the time, trees too...10 years and counting and I haven't hit a person or a car....yet

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 12:28:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Nice photos! Keep 'em coming!
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 12:32:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Will220,  just ribbing you a little, because I know all too well what it's like out there.  

Yes, engines have toilets on them (about size of airplane toilet) but to be honest most of them are nasty and stink.  Norfolk Southern engines have the best toilets because they are vacuum toilets.  

Here is pic of the conductors side of a BNSF engine (120 car coal train).   The yellow button is the horn,  red handle is emergency brake.  I wish all engines had a horn for the conductor, and console so that we could use the foot counter to help out the engineer a little more.   HTH

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 12:33:19 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Toilets are down in the nose....Galley is your lunchbox although we do have coolers and stock them with ice and water
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 12:35:44 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Will220,  just ribbing you a little, because I know all too well what it's like out there.  

Yes, engines have toilets on them (about size of airplane toilet) but to be honest most of them are nasty and stink.  Norfolk Southern engines have the best toilets because they are vacuum toilets.  

Here is pic of the conductors side of a BNSF engine.   The yellow button is the horn,  red handle is emergency brake.  I wish all engines had a horn for the conductor, and console so that we could use the foot counter to help out the engineer a little more.   HTH

216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/47/47657/folders/200109/1840302IMG1671.JPG

LOL...I knew you were, knew you were a railroader, stay safe
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 12:37:13 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Tell me honestly - did you get to blow the whistle???  

CMOS

we have a lever we pull or a button we push
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 12:38:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Pick me up when you pass through Burke!

Anyway to get a ride?
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 12:39:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Yeah, trains are no nonsense, gotta love 'em, and the NE is the place to find em. Mammaries of the AMTRAK Metroliner when I was stationed at DC and headed home to NYC in the early 70's, just to hear the conductor yell in that sing-song "All-Aboard!".
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 12:40:35 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Do you do ride alongs?

<<<<<I'm local

Bomber

Bomber, wish I could but the rules say no, if I brought you along and got caught they would fire me in a heartbeat and then I'd have to come live at your place with my wife,son,step daughter,2 cats,1 dog,tec,etc
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 12:43:12 PM EDT
[#36]
How does one get a job being a train engineer and what is it like?
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 12:50:54 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Here is pic of the conductors side of a BNSF engine (120 car coal train).   The yellow button is the horn,  red handle is emergency brake.  I wish all engines had a horn for the conductor, and console so that we could use the foot counter to help out the engineer a little more.   HTH

216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/47/47657/folders/200109/1840302IMG1671.JPG

Better get them safety glasses on Bronco!Do you guys haul coal to the big Georgia pacific plant down there?

I work for the BNSF in IL.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 12:54:59 PM EDT
[#38]
tagged...
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 1:14:08 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Do you do ride alongs?

<<<<<I'm local

Bomber

Bomber, wish I could but the rules say no, if I brought you along and got caught they would fire me in a heartbeat and then I'd have to come live at your place with my wife,son,step daughter,2 cats,1 dog,tec,etc

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 1:22:09 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

the passenger train i took from Munchen Germany to somewhere in Switzerland pretty much was an open hole onto the tracks.

I saw the border-  lots of trash surrounding the tracks while in germany, less than a mile or km into Switzerland there was NO trash.

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 1:28:28 PM EDT
[#41]
When I was in college (1967) at Akron University (Ohio) it was about 11 at night. I said to my wife, lets take a break from finals, walk and get some pizza and go past the switch yard. We stood on a bridge that over looked the yard and as the trains pulled out, they all switched on their crew light, waved and gave a small toot on the horn. We got adventures and walked down to the yard and one of the engineers took us on a tour of the yard. No ride tho but that was ok. some things you never forget.

be well
maxwell
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 2:02:48 PM EDT
[#42]

Better get them safety glasses on Bronco!Do you guys haul coal to the big Georgia pacific plant down there?

Ha, ha,  figures some one would notice that.  I actually wear presciption safety glasses and took them off for the picture.  

That train (and 3-4 more per day) was headed to the Scherer Georgia Power plant in Juliet.  

Don't know anything about Georgia Pacific though.

Will220,  thanks for the great pics, stay safe also.  
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 2:40:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Damn, I want to drive the train !

When I was a teen we used to hop on the CSX trains and ride them around... Then we got caught CSX and the Police were not amused, but they couldn't prove anything so we got away

Stupid teen shit.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 2:51:03 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Ha, ha,  figures some one would notice that.  I actually wear presciption safety glasses and took them off for the picture.  

That train (and 3-4 more per day) was headed to the Scherer Georgia Power plant in Juliet.  

Don't know anything about Georgia Pacific though.

Will220,  thanks for the great pics, stay safe also.  

Well I was half right, I knew it was georgia something or another.Are your trains DP power?
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 2:58:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Thanks for the pics.  Never knew what it looked like from the engine and it's pretty cool.  

Oh, and your 'sceensaver' shot is magnificant!
~m
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 2:58:45 PM EDT
[#46]
Here are some pics that will send chills up your spine especially if you ride these for a living.

Dont really know the specifics of accident but crew members were lost

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 3:03:58 PM EDT
[#47]
ES44DC?

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 3:09:30 PM EDT
[#48]
Nice pics! I see by the position-light signals you are in old Pennsy territory?

My grandfather worked as a PRR brakeman out of the old Potomac yard during WWII. I think "Pot yard" is long gone now.

<-----SPF (Serious Pennsy Fan)

Doc H.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 3:55:54 PM EDT
[#49]

originally posted by jm03

Well I was half right, I knew it was georgia something or another.Are your trains DP power?

The BNSF coal trails are DP power, two units on the head end with the radio unit on the rear.  Still have to pick a pusher to make it over Braswell mountain.    Other trains we run are not.  

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:10:11 PM EDT
[#50]
Since I can't afford to buy a big-ass diesel locomotive to play with,
I settled for just a horn.

Nathan K5LA purchased direct from Airchime in Chicago.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top