Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/8/2006 7:17:14 AM EDT
Funny how these "scandals" about the Bush Administration always turn out to be nothing.  It'salmost like a predictable pattern, isn't it?  Each new non-scandal that the press and the Democrats play up as a searing indictment of Bush is treated like it's earth-shattering and shows how evil and horrible the Bush administration is. And yet it always fizzles out.

Senate panel rejects bid for NSA inquiry

By David Morgan Tue Mar 7, 7:03 PM ET

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Senate Republicans on Tuesday agreed to expand oversight of
President George W. Bush's domestic spying program but rejected Democratic pressure for a broad inquiry into eavesdropping on U.S. citizens.
ADVERTISEMENT

Sen. Pat Roberts (news, bio, voting record) of Kansas, Republican chairman of the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence, said the committee voted to create a new seven-member subcommittee that would scrutinize the eavesdropping under a plan approved by the White House.

The Bush administration was criticized by rights groups, Democrats and some Republicans for the surveillance program. It started after the September 11 attacks and allowed the National Security Agency to eavesdrop without a warrant on Americans' international phone and e-mail communications while in pursuit of al Qaeda.

In addition, the White House has begun discussions with several Republican lawmakers on legislative language that could further regulate the program.

"I believe the president is prepared to sign a bill once the Congress does work its will," Roberts told reporters after a closed-door committee meeting.

"When it comes to national security, I prefer accommodation over confrontation whenever possible. We should fight the enemy. We should not fight each other."

Four Senate Republicans, all critics of the program, proposed a plan that would authorize the National Security Agency to eavesdrop without a warrant for 45 days but require the White House to justify every decision to continue beyond that timeframe.

The legislative proposal, titled the Terrorist Surveillance Act of 2006, also would force the eavesdropping program to cease after five years unless renewed by Congress.

Sen. Mike DeWine (news, bio, voting record) of Ohio, one of the four Republicans pressing for legislation, said the proposal was backed by Roberts and Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist of Tennessee and accepted "in broad concept" by the White House.

DEMOCRATIC COMPLAINTS

But the Republican-controlled intelligence panel voted down a Democratic proposal for a complete investigation into the

surveillance by the National Security Agency by the full 15-member intelligence committee. Democrats complained that they had been shut out of discussions with the White House that led to the agreement.

"The committee, to put it bluntly, is basically under the control of the White House through its chairman," said a visibly frustrated Sen. John Rockefeller (news, bio, voting record) of West Virginia, ranking Democrat on the intelligence committee.

Republicans rejected suggestions that the intelligence panel was retreating from its oversight duties on the NSA program. "The scope of the subcommittee's purview will be broad, wide, deep," said Sen. Chuck Hagel (news, bio, voting record) of Nebraska.

The committee's decision came five days after the House of Representatives Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence agreed on a new plan to pursue oversight of the NSA program through a subcommittee that has not yet been identified.

The White House has not agreed to the new House oversight plan. Up to now, White House officials have allowed full details of the NSA program to be shared only with eight members of Congress, including the Republican chairmen and ranking Democrats of the intelligence panels in both House and Senate.

The House agreement appeared to undermine efforts by Democrats and some Republicans to seek an inquiry by the full House intelligence committee.

The White House contends that Bush has the constitutional authority to order the eavesdropping as commander-in-chief, as well as congressional approval in the form of an authorization for use of military force against al Qaeda that lawmakers enacted on September 14, 2001.

Democrats and some Republicans contend the authorization was not meant to cover warrantless domestic spying and say the NSA program may violate the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act, which requires the government to obtain warrants for all electronic eavesdropping inside the United States.

news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060308/pl_nm/security_eavesdropping_dc_1
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:21:49 AM EDT
[#1]
The democrat / msm pattern has to throw whatever shit they find against the wall and wait to see if it sticks. So far nothing has, but that hasn't kept them from trumping up every event as the BIGGEST SCANDAL EVER!

And these same idiots never once uttered anything about the Loral  / China deal.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:24:03 AM EDT
[#2]
They didn't even want to cover the Lewinsky thing.  They all knew about it, but deemed it inapproriate, and their editors claimed Clinton's adultery was something the public didn't want to hear about.  Drudge broke it, and now Monicagate is the main thing Clinton is remembered for.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:31:02 AM EDT
[#3]
but...but...but...

Karl Rove!  I mean Dick Cheney! but...but...but...YOU PROMISED!!!

we were going to get to BUST SOMEBODY!!! DAMMITT!!!!
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:31:56 AM EDT
[#4]

Halliburton/Enron scandal

Bush TANG Memo

Downing Street Memo

Plamegate

And now add this to the list: NSA wiretapping

Keep swinging away at it Democrats - it's a great strategery for November.

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:32:30 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Funny how these "scandals" about the Bush Administration always turn out to be nothing.  It'salmost like a predictable pattern, isn't it?  Each new non-scandal that the press and the Democrats play up as a searing indictment of Bush is treated like it's earth-shattering and shows how evil and horrible the Bush administration is. And yet it always fizzles out.

Throw feces against the wall hoping some stick.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:36:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Interesting. I for one would like the investigation to happen. I think we should know if our rights were violated.

I guess our rights are easily given up though in favor of supporting the Party.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:39:39 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Interesting. I for one would like the investigation to happen. I think we should know if our rights were violated.

+1

And everything is going to be fine and dandy next time the dems are in office, wiretapping international calls without a warrent.  I'm sure they'll be honest about it
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:41:50 AM EDT
[#8]
winds up, the stretch and the pitch.

Sa-wing and a miss!
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:46:46 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

And everything is going to be fine and dandy next time the dems are in office, wiretapping international calls without a warrent.  I'm sure they'll be honest about it

I'm not calling either party blameless, but as time goes on I think 1 party controlling essentially every branch of government is a very, very bad thing. At this point its all about supporting the Republican party, be it for better or worse. Citizens rights be damned, all the politicians at this point are concerned about is supporting their own party. Thats NOT how governmnet is supposed to work.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:17:01 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Be careful what you wish for.

An investigation would probably be a good thing… not because it would expose any wrongdoing because it will not but it would expose just how despicable those that want an investigation are and how they are willing to endanger National security over petty politics.

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:19:31 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Halliburton/Enron scandal

Bush TANG Memo

Downing Street Memo

Plamegate

And now add this to the list: NSA wiretapping

Keep swinging away at it Democrats - it's a great strategery for November.

Don't forget Iraqi WMD/Prewar intel
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top