Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/8/2006 7:07:14 AM EDT
I have a pickup that has 2 decals, old business logos, that have been on the truck for about 8 years. The truck is a extended cab and the decals take up most of the area from the bottom of the rear side windows to the mid chrome trim.

I have tried HOT soapy water while parked in summer sun and a few other methods and haven't been able to even get an edge to lift.

Any ideas?
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:08:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Heat and use a commercial adhesive remover . Tons of different ones out there, goo be gone is one I've had luck with.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:11:42 AM EDT
[#2]
There is something I saw at an auto body shop that attaches to a drill.  It has several little straps that unfold as the drill spins faster.  And it doesn't harm the paint.  I watched as he removed all factory decals from a truck in minutes without a scratch.  Wish I knew the name of it.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:13:35 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
There is something I saw at an auto body shop that attaches to a drill.  It has several little straps that unfold as the drill spins faster.  And it doesn't harm the paint.  I watched as he removed all factory decals from a truck in minutes without a scratch.  Wish I knew the name of it.

Called an eraser wheel! A heat gun and a razor blade work faster though. Just heat the decal and catch a corner and start peeling while heating.

edit: this will work even on old worn ass decals too! No goo be gone needed. However the paint underneath will be bright and shiney compared to the rest.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:25:52 AM EDT
[#4]
WD-40 and a rag
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:39:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:41:44 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
WD-40 and a rag

+1  

TC
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:45:17 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Called an eraser wheel! A heat gun and a razor blade work faster though. Just heat the decal and catch a corner and start peeling while heating.

edit: this will work even on old worn ass decals too! No goo be gone needed. However the paint underneath will be bright and shiney compared to the rest.

PLASTIC razor blade, trust me I detail cars, you dont want to use a metal one. You will scratch paint off.  They're usually red plastic single edge razor blades for this purpose. Plastic ones dont scratch at all and are made for this sort of job.

try to peel it off with a red plactis razor blade untill it starts to come off, then use lacquer thinner to remove the goo left behind. Lacquer thinner will not remove any paint or clear coat so dont worry. Like if someone ever spray paints your car, lacquer thinner will remove it with no harm done to the vehicle, like it never happened.

Most people are clueless when it comes to what you can or cant use on the paint on your car. I love their reactions when they see the tar of spray paint that came off their car in a few minutes of rubbing. They're glad to pay the $50+ for me to do it too
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:50:19 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

PLASTIC razor blade, trust me I detail cars, you dont want to use a metal one. You will scratch paint off.  They're usually red plastic single edge razor blades for this purpose. Plastic ones dont scratch at all and are made for this sort of job.

try to peel it off with a red plactis razor blade untill it starts to come off, then use lacquer thinner to remove the goo left behind. Lacquer thinner will not remove any paint or clear coat so dont worry. Like if someone ever spray paints your car, lacquer thinner will remove it with no harm done to the vehicle, like it never happened.

Most people are clueless when it comes to what you can or cant use on the paint on your car. I love their reactions when they see the tar of spray paint that came off their car in a few minutes of rubbing. They're glad to pay the $50+ for me to do it too

Oops, yeah I meant to just use the blade to get the edge lifted, NOT to completely remove the decals. Usually if you get enough started you can pull it by handin one solid piece.

+1 on the lacquer thinner. It works great.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:54:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Blowtorch
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:56:58 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Blowtorch

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:02:36 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Blowtorch

Yeah, a Binford 4000.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:38:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Use a heat gun and peel off as much as you can (be careful not to blister the paint).

Then go over it with a rag and gasoline to get rid of the residue.

The gasoline won't hurt the paint, but it will strip the wax.

Immediately after you are done, rinse it with water and apply more wax.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:39:30 AM EDT
[#13]
rubbing alcohol or gasoline after you peel off the bulk of the sticker.  just make sure you wax over the spot right away because the alcohol or gas will strip the wax off of the finish.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:43:03 AM EDT
[#14]

Or maybe not.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:47:48 AM EDT
[#15]
I saw as show that used a trick by scoring the sticker then smearing mayo on the sticker for an hour. The fats in the mayo dissolved the adhesive of the sticker. Then they just pulled the sticker off and cleaned it up.

Never tried it though. I don't put bumper stickers on my vehicles.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:49:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Adheshive remover, rubbing alchohol, rags and a straight edge razor knife.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top