Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/8/2006 3:52:35 AM EDT
I don't have much room in the house, and I need another safe.  Was thinking of a Wally World Sentry safe.  I live near the coast in Central Florida.  Would I be risking problems with corrosion of my firearms if I put the safe in my garage?  It looks like I could put a dehumidifier rod inside the safe.

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:50:26 AM EDT
[#1]
I would like to know as well.  It gets humid here in SC too.  I have thought about AC for the garage but I would probably have to finish it first.

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:55:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Greywolf, if I could make a suggestion, there might be some of your fellow Floridians that may be in the same situation you are and maybe you can cross-post this in your HTF to see if anyone else there has done it?
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:56:34 AM EDT
[#3]
First, be sure you bolt it to the floor, second, enjoy your rusty guns.

Seriously, you need to dehumidify the area. Damp Rid won't do it, a Goldenrod won't do it. If you build a closet around the safe when you can roll in one of the portable dehumidifers or use a small window A/C unit, you'll be ok. Even in an A/C'd house in FL, you can have problems. Be sure to open the safe weekly & check. Use a quality protectant on your guns like Rustlick.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:37:21 AM EDT
[#4]
I would also strongly recommend against this unless you really don't care about those guns.  I won't even leave my fishing rods in the garage.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:45:18 AM EDT
[#5]
I used to keep a cheapo Homak gun cabinet in the garage when I lived on the North Carolina coast.  Didn't use any desicant or other dehumidifying device.  Nothing bad happened.

Now I live a few hundred yards from the Gulf Coast in FL, which is a order of magnitude hotter and wetter.

I'd recommend not doing it.  While it would be okay now in March, in the summer it is going to be scorching in your garage (at least it is in mine), and the humidity will be pretty bad.  Every time you open the safe in order to inspect your guns, you will be letting more wet air inside.  I doubt that any traditional safe dehumidifying method will be sufficient.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:46:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks, guys - looks like I'll have to find a suitable area in the house for a larger safe.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:48:08 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Thanks, guys - looks like I'll have to find a suitable area in the house for a larger safe.

I'm 5 miles from the coast now. I have to regularly pull out my guns, even the ones I don't shoot regularly, and wipe them down. About once every 2-3 months.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:50:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Bad thing to do when the realitive humidity is around 95% all summer long.

Firearms in FL appreciate air-conditioning, and a good coat of oil...
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:52:35 PM EDT
[#9]
You know I am not on the coast, but my gun safe is in my garage and I have no problems at all with rust.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:52:36 PM EDT
[#10]
corrosion isn't THAT big of a concern.  you don't need to check up on them every week or any foolish shit like that.  

i had a buddy who lived ON THE BEACH in Ft. Pierce.  When hurricane Francis came through there it destroyed his house, filling the entire place with 4 feet of sand which was soaked with salt water.  It took him a month to dig out.  He finally got to his safe just about a month to the day from when the storm hit.  it was full of saltwater and a good bit of sand.  he took the guns outside, rinsed them off with a freshwater hose, and re-lubed them... you'd never know there was a hurricane.

am i saying to leave your shit out and unlubed? no, but gun's won't rust the second you lock them up, even in a humid climate.  take diligent care of them, and you'll be fine
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:52:44 PM EDT
[#11]
You need to mount the bad boy to the cement if it will be in there. But you should be fine with a dehumidifier. Keep em oily too.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:04:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Just  as a side note, when I lived in the Canal Zone in the late 60s & early 70s, we had lightbulbs in our closets that we kept on all the time. Closet doors were kept closed. We did have air conditioning. The heat was suppose to help keep the clothes from mildewing. Vey little insulation. The condensation from the AC units was tremendous. So was the growth in the bottom of the window AC units. Yuck. As a teenager, I use to clean the AC units when the build up of mold overwhelmed the drainage pipes. They ran all the time in the old housing areas (Curundu sp?) I lived on Ft Clayton most of the time in tropical housing (stilted housing basically). I keep a light on in my closet 24/7 here in Florida too.

The Canal Zone was the bomb.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:42:06 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
You know I am not on the coast, but my gun safe is in my garage and I have no problems at all with rust.

I was actually thinking of your set up specifically when I posted this question.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:12:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Greywolf 2112

IM sent
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:23:26 PM EDT
[#15]
if you bolt it to a cement floor you will have condensation going up the bolts (metal sweats easily)into the safe because of the inside and outsde temp differences.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top