Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/7/2006 8:37:19 PM EDT
So we've now seen that SD has outlawed abortion.  Religous issue?  Constitutional? Whatever it might be for each individual, it's a hot topic as 13 pages show.

Soooooooo, what are your thoughts on the "right to die"?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:03:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Suicide's wrong, but if you want to do it, well, its up to you. However don't demand that a doctor, or anyone else help you. As far as I'm concerned, a doctor that supplies the means to commit suicide as at least guilty of manslaughter.

Also, from the Hippocratic Oath

I will neither give a deadly drug to anybody who asked for it, nor will I make a suggestion to this effect. Similarly I will not give to a woman an abortive remedy. In purity and holiness I will guard my life and my art.

Once you allow this, you go down the slippery slope to Holland, where doctors, with certain safeguards, can kill newborn babies with defects and teenagers as young as 16 who express a desire to die. They're going to drop this to 12 shortly. This is the sort of legislation that is always creeping. Given how far its gone already, you will see post-birth abortion (meaning infanticide) for non-medical reasons, and the non-consensual killing of the aged and infirm for "medical" reasons. Holland is a really good example of what can happen in this situation. I think Belgium is heading that way too.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 12:56:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Good reply!  If someone wants to kill themselves, go for it.  As long as it is not supported by the Govt (in any form) or the medical field.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top