Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/7/2006 6:00:15 PM EDT
Not sure if a dupe here, but this place is close to me...

www.snopes.com/politics/military/refused.asp

Marines Refused Service

Happened on Jan. 31, 2006

In Gun Barrel City, TX two US Marines in Dress Blues walked into a Shell Station and were told they would not serve them and told to leave. So they went to the Fina Station across the street and told them that they were refused service at the Shell. At this time a women went over to the Shell Station and ask why they refused service to the two Marines and were told that they are over there killing their people. The Shell is owned & operated by Arab people. As this information went out the News Paper in Gun Barrel wanted to know the names of the Marines. They are going to run an article on this incident. As I see it this is a long way from being over knowing the mind and heart set of Texas people. All this happened on the 31st. on Jan. and my daughter, (who was married to a former Marine, now deceased, and has a daughter in the Marines) is on top of trying to get this info. , and all the while here at home we have a granddaughter in the Marines, One in the Army Reserves, and a grandson HM3, in the Navy. Therefore, my wife, US Navy, myself US Navy Ret., all this hits very close to home, and me a Shell card holder, will call Shell, got that right. From me the word is going out to all Military people I know and the list is getting longer.

Raymond R. Haas
ENC/DV US Navy Ret
45 County Road 2360
Marietta, TX 75566

903-835-1304 feel free to call.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:02:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm with you man, that's a load of horseshit.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:02:21 PM EDT
[#2]
What if a white guy was to do that to a arab or black ?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:02:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Dupe

ETA: But it still shouldn't have happened
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:03:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks like the store owner fired the clerk.  And that it happened a bit before 1/31?  
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:03:19 PM EDT
[#5]
well... those "arab people" who own the shell should tell their distant relatives to stop being assholes FIRST

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:04:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Im off this friday. I may see if I can find these 2 gas stations and see whats up since its close by.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:04:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:05:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:06:20 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Gun Barrel City California?

Never heard of it ... is it near the USMC Recruit training center in San Diego, near the infantry training base Camp Pendelton, or the logistics base in El Centro?

Where you get CA? This is in Texas.  
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:06:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:09:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:10:02 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Never heard of it ... is it near the USMC Recruit training center in San Diego, near the infantry training base Camp Pendelton, or the logistics base in El Centro?

Sombody hasn't been paying attention.

CA, figures.

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:10:12 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

It was funny the first 478 times you posted this.  Now it is just spamming.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:11:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Privately owned business have the right to refuse service period.  Generally seldom done and most times to those deserving to be thrown like obnoxious drunks.  It is thier business and thier right politics aside.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:11:44 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Very well may be true, but sounds like BS.

My thoughts exactly. Anyself respecting Marine would have beat the hell out of any arab that refused service.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:11:52 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Privately owned business have the right to refuse service period.  Generally seldom done and most times to those deserving to be thrown like obnoxious drunks.  It is thier business and thier right politics aside.

Stop defending them...
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:12:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:13:40 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Stop defending them...

He's got a point, but it's still fucked up. and if they were EMPLOYEES they do not have the right to refuse service.  the OWNER has that right.  if they refused someone that the owner did not direct them to, then they should be shit canned immediately (and burned)
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:14:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:14:05 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Stop defending them...

You need to remember who you're talking to.  
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:14:22 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Stop defending them...

He's not defending them. He is merely stating what the law really says.

Saying that our law allows us to be assholes and jerks doesn't mean I'm defending them.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:16:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:18:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Deport them to Iraq and tell the Marines there about them
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:18:29 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Stop defending them...

You need to remember who you're talking to.  

What does that mean?  I just stated what the law is and should be why they are refused service is beside the point.  I am not legally compelled to be a good samaritan nor am I legally compelled to sell or provide service to anyone.  It is thier business to do with as they please.  All this shit coming from supposedly capitolists Conservatives go figure.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:20:58 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Stop defending them...

Saying that our law allows us to be assholes and jerks doesn't mean I'm defending them.

Unless you're a landlord and refuse to rent to someone in any way that can be described as discriminatory...  
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:23:19 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No such thing could possibly happen anywhere in this nation other than in California - let alone in Texas. If this happened in Texas the place would be a smoking hole come the next morning.

BRB!
j/k

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:23:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:25:06 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
the article from snopes is dated 2004

On December 19th, 2004, my brother Jason F. Young Lance Corporal in the United States Marines was refused service at a convenience store named One Stop Grocery and Grill at 2001 8th Ave. in downtown Fort Worth, Texas.

He was refused service because he is a Marine.

He went in to the store and asked the clerk (a man of middle eastern descent) for a can of tobacco, at which point the clerk asked him if he was in the military. (He had on a USMC shirt) After my brother replied, "yes sir" the man said nothing to him and looked at the other middle eastern man in the back of the store. Then both men proceeded to go in to the storeroom and did not come out. My brother yelled back to them a time or two and they did not respond.

Jason waited a few minutes and finally left the store.

I am very proud of the way that my brother reacted to the situation. I can honestly say if it had been me I would have cleared their counter and taken my can of tobacco. It is not fair that these people come into our country and enjoy the freedoms that my brother and so many others have fought for. They do not respect our service men and women who have died for them to be able to be here. They do not respect our country, and personally I think they need to go back to where they came from.

My main point in writing this is to get the word out about this particular store and discourage people from shopping there. If they can't respect or even sell to the people that are responsible for the rights they have, then they don't deserve to be in business.

Please email this to everyone you know to discourage them from shopping at this store.

Oops.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:26:39 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Stop defending them...

Unless you're a landlord and refuse to rent to someone in any way that can be described as discriminatory...  

Thats facism but that is how it is thanks to Clinton.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:28:03 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Not sure if a dupe here, but this place is close to me...

www.snopes.com/politics/military/refused.asp

Marines Refused Service

Happened on Jan. 31, 2006  December 19th, 2004,

In Gun Barrel City, TX two US Marines in Dress Blues walked into a Shell Station and were told they would not serve them and told to leave. So they went to the Fina Station across the street and told them that they were refused service at the Shell. At this time a women went over to the Shell Station and ask why they refused service to the two Marines and were told that they are over there killing their people. The Shell is owned & operated by Arab people. As this information went out the News Paper in Gun Barrel wanted to know the names of the Marines. They are going to run an article on this incident. As I see it this is a long way from being over knowing the mind and heart set of Texas people. All this happened on the 31st. on Jan. and my daughter, (who was married to a former Marine, now deceased, and has a daughter in the Marines) is on top of trying to get this info. , and all the while here at home we have a granddaughter in the Marines, One in the Army Reserves, and a grandson HM3, in the Navy. Therefore, my wife, US Navy, myself US Navy Ret., all this hits very close to home, and me a Shell card holder, will call Shell, got that right. From me the word is going out to all Military people I know and the list is getting longer.

Raymond R. Haas
ENC/DV US Navy Ret
45 County Road 2360
Marietta, TX 75566

903-835-1304 feel free to call.

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:30:38 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

???????? this had nothing to do with being white/black, more like U.S. vs Middle East
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:35:11 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Stop defending them...

I'm definitely in your camp.  I'm not pro-discrimination by any stretch of the imagination, but the landlord is pretty much screwed if whatever housing commission decides he/she has been discriminatory.  Having seen one work firsthand, I was terrified.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:37:09 PM EDT
[#33]
The Snopes thing is from 2004 and has a different person involved.  

I'm waiting to see if this is a different incident as it implies or what?....kinda confusing.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:42:44 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

On December 19th, 2004, my brother Jason F. Young Lance Corporal in the United States Marines was refused service at a convenience store named One Stop Grocery and Grill at 2001 8th Ave. in downtown Fort Worth, Texas.

He went in to the store and asked the clerk (a man of middle eastern descent) for a can of tobacco, at which point the clerk asked him if he was in the military. (He had on a USMC shirt) After my brother replied, "yes sir" the man said nothing to him and looked at the other middle eastern man in the back of the store. Then both men proceeded to go in to the storeroom and did not come out. My brother yelled back to them a time or two and they did not respond.

I am very proud of the way that my brother reacted to the situation. I can honestly say if it had been me I would have cleared their counter and taken my can of tobacco. It is not fair that these people come into our country and enjoy the freedoms that my brother and so many others have fought for. They do not respect our service men and women who have died for them to be able to be here. They do not respect our country, and personally I think they need to go back to where they came from.

My main point in writing this is to get the word out about this particular store and discourage people from shopping there. If they can't respect or even sell to the people that are responsible for the rights they have, then they don't deserve to be in business.

Please email this to everyone you know to discourage them from shopping at this store.

Did Snopes find it to be true or false?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:47:35 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Stop defending them...

I'm definitely in your camp.  I'm not pro-discrimination by any stretch of the imagination, but the landlord is pretty much screwed if whatever housing commission decides he/she has been discriminatory.  Having seen one work firsthand, I was terrified.

Its a law that needs to go but it is to easily a spin issue.  Media and libs can still use it to sway the ignorrant masses at the voting booth, nevermind the facts.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:50:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:50:29 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

???????? this had nothing to do with being white/black, more like U.S. vs Middle East

If average joe tryed to refuse service to a minority the naacp would jump all over it. The owner would lose his bussiness due to the huge civil suit. Im not a but things need to be equal.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:50:18 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

I love how the original story from two years ago was about a CONVENIENCE STORE, called "One Stop Grocery and Grill" but suddenly in this new version it's a "Shell Station"  

I guess someone doesn't like Shell

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 1:39:54 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No such thing could possibly happen anywhere in this nation other than in California - let alone in=Texas. If this happened in THE UNITED STATES the placeSHOULD be a smoking hole come the next morning.

There fixed it for ya!! FTAA!!!!
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 2:16:24 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Stop defending them...

He's got a point, but it's still fucked up. and if they were EMPLOYEES they do not have the right to refuse service.  the OWNER has that right.  if they refused someone that the owner did not direct them to, then they should be shit canned immediately (and burned)

I second that, although in the lack of presence of an owner/boss, the clerk should be able to make a sound judgment. Now, remember that he eventually has to deal with his boss. I think the clerk was just plainly either an idiot, tasteless, or both.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:26:35 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

I love how the original story from two years ago was about a CONVENIENCE STORE, called "One Stop Grocery and Grill" but suddenly in this new version it's a "Shell Station"  

It would be ironic if the muslims were offended by the servicemen but not so offended by the Royal Dutch company of Shell (cartoons) to continue working there...
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:17:43 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Stop defending them...

...and our right to pass the word and boycott them.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:25:23 AM EDT
[#43]
I was going to participate in this thread until I saw it was mostly members chewing on each other's legs.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:32:01 AM EDT
[#44]
I get BS stories emailed to my .mil account all the time.  Either they are sensationalistic, or just "feel good", they are BS 99% of the time.

The one common denominator is that they were all forwarded emails.

As far as Marines getting refused service goes, seems that happened fairly often when I was stationed near Camp Lejeune.  A lot of the "drinking establishments" in nearby Wilmington would not serve Marines.  This didn't necessarily have anything to do with the owner's politics.  More likely it had something to do with the fact that drunken young Marines are not what you want in your bar.

If you want discrimination, go to Japan.  Some restaurants will not serve white people.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:34:35 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:44:49 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

same story with different names and dates?

There were a few more subtle differences.  The forwarded Email claims that it was 2 marines in dress blues, whereas in the actual event it was 1 marine in a USMC shirt.  In the forwarded Email, the clerks refused the marines service and told them to leave, whereas in the actual event the employee went in the back and didn't come out.

In the real event, the owner immediately fired the employee in question and apologized to the family.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:49:22 AM EDT
[#47]
I'm sorry, but, if you've ever been to Gun Barrell, TX (Which I have),
you'll know this story is absolute hogwash.

There is no way on God's green earth that happened in Gunbarrell.

Austin?  

Ok....I'll believe that.

Gunbarrell/Athens area?

Nuh-uh.  BS!
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:28:07 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

The ACLU would be on that like flies on shit.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:01:21 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Very well may be true, but sounds like BS.

My thoughts exactly. Anyself respecting Marine would have beat the hell out of any arab that refused service.

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:04:07 AM EDT
[#50]

where are the liberals screaming "hate crime" and "discrimination"?

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top