Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/7/2006 5:34:41 PM EDT
Just spent 1.5 hours with some prospective tenants for my new rental property.

One credit check later reveals that she is in collection for almost 2K to an apartment complex back in December of '04.

Needless to say, she and her husband will not be moving into my place.

Thanks for wasting my time and energy though.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:36:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I owe like $500 to one, that I will NOT be paying. Lying bastards..... Oh well, I have a house and land now, so no biggy.  
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:36:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Not surprising.  Ever notice how many advertisements there are on TV, telling people how to get out of paying their debts?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:37:53 PM EDT
[#3]

aw shit.  
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:40:12 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I owe like $500 to one, that I will NOT be paying. Lying bastards..... Oh well, I have a house and land now, so no biggy.  

That's just fine.  I understand that there may be unknown parts to items listed on a person's credit report and I am willing to listen to an explanation beforehand.

However, she specifically omitted that residence from her listing of previous residences.

In other words, she knew exactly what she was doing and what she was trying to hide.

The only redeemable part of this is that I collected the cost of running the credit report up front.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:40:57 PM EDT
[#5]
ummm, you wouldnt happen toi have any apartments to rent in kansas would you?    lol

the down side of getting divorced is losing your housing money form the government.

i may have something like that on my report soon, due to the fact that my complex won't let me out of my lease, even though they know that im losing my housing allowance, they basically told me tough titty.

theres no way an e4 can afford 880 a month, when, unlike what theyre add said, they do not cover any of your utilities.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:42:09 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Just spent 1.5 hours with some prospective tenants for my new rental property.

One credit check later reveals that she is in collection for almost 2K to an apartment complex back in December of '04.

Needless to say, she and her husband will not be moving into my place.

Thanks for wasting my time and energy though.

You're just the man keeping people down! Cut them a break!

Yeah right.  Those deadbeats wouldn't pay you, they would wreck your shit, and they would blame it on you
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:42:09 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's just fine.  I understand that there may be unknown parts to items listed on a person's credit report and I am willing to listen to an explanation beforehand.

However, she specifically omitted that residence from her listing of previous residences.

In other words, she knew exactly what she was doing and what she was trying to hide.

The only redeemable part of this is that I collected the cost of running the credit report up front.

And 2k is ALOT to owe...
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:42:54 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

And 2k is ALOT to owe...

That's only a month's rent for my place +$200

fuckng miami
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:43:44 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
ummm, you wouldnt happen toi have any apartments to rent in kansas would you?    lol

the down side of getting divorced is losing your housing money form the government.

i may have something like that on my report soon, due to the fact that my complex won't let me out of my lease, even though they know that im losing my housing allowance, they basically told me tough titty.

theres no way an e4 can afford 880 a month, when, unlike what theyre add said, they do not cover any of your utilities.

No, I don't have anything there - sorry.

As far as the debt goes, I've always said that (in my opinion) there are two legitimate reasons to have black marks on your credit report.  The first is a divorce and the second is medical reasons.  Be upfront with me about them and that will go a long way.

Try to hide them from me and well, ....that just won't cut it.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:47:35 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
You're just the man keeping people down! Cut them a break!

That's me.

I'm thinking of merging with Halliburton.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:01:59 PM EDT
[#11]
The check is in the mail, Johnny.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:06:21 PM EDT
[#12]
At least you are running credit checks...

We had a rash of wanna-be Donald Trump types buy in here 'as an investment' and rented out to the first person who called their chessy sign littering every major intersection in town.

Well, those units are now up for sale, not rent... Most of these landlords paid a lot of HOA fines due to their dirtball tenents, and said tenents trashed a few of the units on the inside...

I saw the interior of one of these rentals after rentor skipped town, and I could not believe a human being in this country would live in the fillth they left behind... Scary...
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:07:41 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And 2k is ALOT to owe...

That's only a month's rent for my place +$200

fuckng miami

Then I suggest you move.

Woody
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:08:12 PM EDT
[#14]
When I was younger I rented from several apartments. One of which suddenly got infested with roaches shortly after neighbors moved. Guess what... I moved after giving them plenty of time to correct the problem. They said I owed for the rest of my lease.

Another time I moved from an apartment after my lease was up, cleaned the place and everything. The kept my deposit and also billed me for 1500+ bucks. Lots of people who rent apartments are shitbags. There may be a reason they didn't pay it. I won't be paying either of these places. YMMV
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:09:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:10:33 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Then I suggest you move.

Woody

don't worry, i'm the HELL out of this fucking city this summer
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:14:07 PM EDT
[#17]
I wonder what slum_lords take on this is?  
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:49:55 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
When I was younger I rented from several apartments. One of which suddenly got infested with roaches shortly after neighbors moved. Guess what... I moved after giving them plenty of time to correct the problem. They said I owed for the rest of my lease.

Another time I moved from an apartment after my lease was up, cleaned the place and everything. The kept my deposit and also billed me for 1500+ bucks. Lots of people who rent apartments are shitbags. There may be a reason they didn't pay it. I won't be paying either of these places. YMMV

I'd just think that, rather than letting that affect my credit, I'd deal with those matters in court.  At least around here, the law definitely seems to favor the tennant rather than the landlord in those sorts of matters.  Shame to look bad later.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:56:07 AM EDT
[#19]
My rental application was rejected one time.  Long story short, my wife had given the post office her friend's address as our forwarding address while we were looking for an apartment in a high cost of living area.

The apartment complex ran a check, saw that our last know residence was such-and-such (actually her friends address).  They called the rental office at the address, and asked "Did GySgt D give you all a proper 30-day notification that he was moving?  Did he pay his bills?"

Well, the ditz at the other rental office told my prospective landlord something like "I don't see where GySgt D gave me any notice!".  Nevermind the fact that I never lived there in my entire life.  Neither of the two rental office's found it necessary to go any further than that.

I was given no notice about my rejection, but was lead along to believe that it "would be just another day".  This went on for days.  Meanwhile, I'm going flat broke.  In desperation, I ask them what the holdup is, and they finally tell me.  After I darn near had to beg them to call the other rental office up and clear it up, they finally did.  I had to literally dig the coins out of the seat cushions of my car to come up with the deposit.

I had exactly the right amount, to the very penny.  The Lord provides...
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:57:04 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd just think that, rather than letting that affect my credit, I'd deal with those matters in court.  At least around here, the law definitely seems to favor the tennant rather than the landlord in those sorts of matters.  Shame to look bad later.

The law almost always is in favor for the tenant.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:57:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:58:57 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
My rental application was rejected one time.  Long story short, my wife had given the post office her friend's address as our forwarding address while we were looking for an apartment in a high cost of living area.

The apartment complex ran a check, saw that our last know residence was such-and-such (actually her friends address).  They called the rental office at the address, and asked "Did GySgt D give you all a proper 30-day notification that he was moving?  Did he pay his bills?"

Well, the ditz at the other rental office told my prospective landlord something like "I don't see where GySgt D gave me any notice!".  Nevermind the fact that I never lived there in my entire life.  Neither of the two rental office's found it necessary to go any further than that.

I was given no notice about my rejection, but was lead along to believe that it "would be just another day".  This went on for days.  Meanwhile, I'm going flat broke.  In desperation, I ask them what the holdup is, and they finally tell me.  After I darn near had to beg them to call the other rental office up and clear it up, they finally did.  I had to literally dig the coins out of the seat cushions of my car to come up with the deposit.

I had exactly the right amount, to the very penny.  The Lord provides...

I offer a military discount.

They pay their bills.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:12:55 AM EDT
[#23]
Woo hoo! I'm debt free and in 3 more years I will have paid off my 30 year mortgage in only
13 years.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:17:06 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Get a letter from your first sergeant directing you to move back into government housing and referencing the Soldiers and sailors relief act.  Give a copy to your apartment complex and thell them to pound sand.  If your chain of command won't do this for you, you are in the wrong service.  We did this for our troops in the Air force all the time.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:19:32 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Then I suggest you move.

Woody

don't worry, i'm the HELL out of this fucking city this summer

There's always Gainesville
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:05:03 AM EDT
[#26]
I have a dispute on my credit for an apt I abandoned the lease on..
but I NEVER LIVED THERE>>>>never signed a lease, never saw the place..
thank you Brownedeyedbitch..ex wife..
the complex, though admitedly have no signature of mine on any form. state "as she used my social for the credit background and put me on the lease as co-tenent, I am liable..."
say they sent me numerous letters telling me to come sign the lease etc..
so,,
who knows what belongs to who anymore..
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:11:34 AM EDT
[#27]
I lived in an apartment I left two months early before the lease expired. They said no problem because they could rent it out the day I moved out so no issue with leaving early. Even sent me a check for my deposists etc. About a year later I ran a credit report and they had sent in a report on me for not paying the two monts rent. I disputed the claim and it was removed.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:22:55 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I lived in an apartment I left two months early before the lease expired. They said no problem because they could rent it out the day I moved out so no issue with leaving early. Even sent me a check for my deposists etc. About a year later I ran a credit report and they had sent in a report on me for not paying the two monts rent. I disputed the claim and it was removed.

That's how it works.  If you dispute it, they have 30 days to verify the debt or else it must be removed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top