Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:13:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I looked at the 745 and the 145 at the gunshow.

I really couldn't feel a difference...the 145 with 10 rounds made the decision for me.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:16:32 PM EDT
[#2]
G36
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:17:55 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I just picked up a Taurus PT145....It's a great little 45, accurate and shoots great.

I only paid $279 + tax for mine, I like it so much I might pick up another.

That is IT.  I'm getting one.  
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:19:10 PM EDT
[#4]
You can't go wrong with the PT145.

I also picked up a XD in 45 and I think the little PT145 is every bit as good a gun as the new XD.

But the trigger on the XD is better than the 145, being the 145 is DAO.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:21:36 PM EDT
[#5]
PT145, mine has been very reliable. Not a single jam since I got mine.
Accurate for it's size, grip is lots better than the sub-com Glocks.
The DA trigger on mine is very smooth and it has some slick little Trijicon night sights.
My IWB rig.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:23:16 PM EDT
[#6]
I am having a hard time getting over the "Taurus autos are junk" perception. I am going to do a little reasearch on these two models though.

I like the glock but the corners of the grip of the 26 and 27 sit in an uncomfortable position in my palm. I imagine the 36 would be the same.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:28:54 PM EDT
[#7]
damn those are so sweet.  sure wish i lived in a free state.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:49:33 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Kimber Ultra Carry.

+1 And with a Milt Sparks VMII, it's nicer to carry than a G26.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:54:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Had a PT145, got rid of it because the early ones in .40 and .45 had frame cracking issues.

That being said, it was comfy, easy to control, and suprisingly accurate.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:59:06 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The DA trigger on mine is very smooth and it has some slick little Trijicon night sights.
My IWB rig.
img.photobucket.com/albums/v475/twonami/104_0454.jpg

Please tell me where you got that holster.  I like it.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:03:35 PM EDT
[#11]
I think it's pretty doggone obvious that there's a number of .45's on the market that are fully capable CCW's.

What a great bunch of choices we have...there're countries that couldn't even have this conversation and we've got an array of tools to choose from.

That's what keeps all these great manufacturers in business. Don't you love it?

HH
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:08:07 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
My IWB rig.

Bianchi 100 Professional Holster Right Hand Glock 26, 27 and Taurus PT145.
I have the squared off PT145 and it dosen't fit it perfectly but it's close enough.
I got it at Midway, with my C&R it was $31.50.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:09:37 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I think it's pretty doggone obvious that there's a number of .45's on the market that are fully capable CCW's.

What a great bunch of choices we have...there're countries that couldn't even have this conversation and we've got an array of tools to choose from.

That's what keeps all these great manufacturers in business. Don't you love it?

HH

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:18:59 PM EDT
[#14]
tag for later.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:19:38 PM EDT
[#15]
I didn't see anyone mention my carry weapon of choice:  Glock 39 chambered for the .45 GAP.  I carry IWB in a Milt Sparks VersaMax II holster and couldn't be happier.

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:22:25 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
My IWB rig.

Bianchi 100 Professional Holster Right Hand Glock 26, 27 and Taurus PT145.
I have the squared off PT145 and it dosen't fit it perfectly but it's close enough.
I got it at Midway, with my C&R it was $31.50.

Thank you sir!
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:00:24 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
*tweeeet* instant revocation of Man Card for usage of "Skosh" in a gun thread...

When you carry a .45, as I do routinely, you can say whatever the hell you want, and nobody can do anything about it.

Isn't that right, snookums???
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:01:53 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Why?

Because I have seen too many of them puke.

As a general rule, when you chop a 1911 below Commander length, you start to have more problems than you should with them.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:26:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Glock 36
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:47:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Wilson Sentinel. No longer in production. I might be interested in selling it if you are looking for something like this.

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:52:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Glock 36 with a +1 extension for 8 total rounds.  Best CCW going when a slim profile is a must.  It's a Glock too, so it'll take the moisture, salt, dings, and general abuse from carrying it concealed over time.  It's also a smooth firearm with very few edges that'll poke or snag or otherwise prove uncomfortable in a CCW holster.  Furthermore, it has a trigger safety - so it's a true pull and shoot gun which in my mind is paramount.  Here's mine:

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:08:16 AM EDT
[#22]
I carried a Kimber Ultra Carry for years. I fell on hard times and had to sell it. Wonderful pistol. I now carry a GLOCK 36. Not as atractive, but comfortable and affordable.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:09:27 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
*tweeeet* instant revocation of Man Card for usage of "Skosh" in a gun thread...

When you carry a .45, as I do routinely, you can say whatever the hell you want, and nobody can do anything about it.

You going for the technical now too?

BOT, I'd take a good look at the Kahr P45. I haven't handled one yet but if it is like the 9mm & .40 it's sure to be a nice piece. Size: 6.3"L x 4.8"H x 1.01" slide width.

I like the Taurus in all areas except the trigger but it's still doable.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:15:51 AM EDT
[#24]

The answer to this question is an AMT backup .45 with a trigger job...

It sounds like you have had a good experience with this thing, but I thought it was an awful little gun.  It was small, I'll give it that, but weighted a ton and I never could hit anything further away than card table range.  I think there is a very good reason these aren't made anymore.

I can't reccomend it, myself.  I'd vote for the small Glocks.

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:29:25 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Kahr KP4543

+1.  Handled one yesterday, they are nice.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:38:31 AM EDT
[#26]
I have a Kimber Ultra Raptor..

It's been utterly reliable, has fed most everything, has 7 round flush-fitting mags, 1911 ergos, night sights...

It's great. I need to get some good leather for it (I have a shoulder rig, a Galco Miami Classic, and it's great and VERY comfortable, but...it's still a shoulder rig)..and I'll be all set.

I need to order some of the recoil spring sets from Kimber (they suggest you swap out the assembly every 5-700 rounds, IIRC), and I'll be good to go.

I'd recommend giving one a try out.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:39:53 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not even someone ELSE who carries a .45?

"Snookums"... what has this forum become???
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:14:13 AM EDT
[#28]
Love my Para, daily carry...  Pic doesn't show the mag grip I added, but with that it is easily controllable for accurate second and third shots.  Never a problem or failure in over 6000 rounds...

Editied to add:  I carry with a Milt Sparks holster, cant see it even with a Tshirt in the summer...

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:23:06 AM EDT
[#29]
I'll never understand why people like compact .45s.  It's a bad cartridge to go compact with because you rob the cartridge of too much velocity.  (velocity that it doesn't have much of in the first place)

9mm or .40 smith are much better choices if you insist on having a sissy sized gun.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:50:05 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Glock 30 full 10 rds.  Glock 36 less rounds.

I've always liked the .45 and carried a Combat Commander for many years.  I now carry a Glock 30 just to try something different.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:50:46 AM EDT
[#31]
Sub compact Taurus:

Full (1911 profile) Taurus:

Same reviewer (Dick Metcalf) using a little diff velocity test - 8ft vs 10ft.

How much velocity is needed at combat ranges?
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:39:21 AM EDT
[#32]
Sweet Jeezus!  That chart shows a 230 gr SXT at 971 FPS and PMC 230 gr at 1071 FPS out of a 5" 1911??

Yet the +P Hornady load is only 988?

That Can't be right.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:01:15 AM EDT
[#33]
Does it have to be a 45?  I never did a velocity test but shot a full size 45 and Commander length and an Officers 45 into a 2X3 plank from a pallet.  The penetration fallsoff really fast.  The 5" would go through and the Commander would punch through but the Officers would not make it through.  I shot from about 15'.    230 FMJ.   The 9mm's I shot punch through everytime,  I had a Smith 3913 and a Smith 439.  124 FMJ.  FWIW
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:21:10 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Does it have to be a 45?  I never did a velocity test but shot a full size 45 and Commander length and an Officers 45 into a 2X3 plank from a pallet.  The penetration fallsoff really fast.  The 5" would go through and the Commander would punch through but the Officers would not make it through.  I shot from about 15'.    230 FMJ.   The 9mm's I shot punch through everytime,  I had a Smith 3913 and a Smith 439.  124 FMJ.  FWIW

w00t!  I'm glad I'm not the only thinking man on this topic!
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:36:40 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

I will keep this in mind next time I am attacked by someone wearing wooden pallet armor.

Some of us just like the .45. (edit: Some of us still like the .45 after doing research and educating ourselves on the subject...) Frankly this thread is headed into that "9mm vs. .45" territory and we all know how that turns out.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 11:22:44 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Frankly this thread is headed into that "9mm vs. .45" territory and we all know how that turns out.

Nah!

I it's more about wise caliber choice in compact autos.  .45 isn't it IMO.  Personally if I don't have the barrel length of a P220 at the very least, I would opt for a different caliber.  I love the .45 too, and carried it for years.  Just not in the compact format.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 11:31:48 AM EDT
[#37]
A little  .45 XD would be cool, They'll  probably come up with one sometime I guess. That Wilson Sentinel looks hot
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 11:35:35 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I spend way too much times on job sites.
I have lost track of the .45's that are out there.
I carry a Colt series 70 Gov. 1911 A1.
Unless you are good you will miss on a pat down. (size helps) mine.
I really don't want to switch but I should get with the times.

Then don't.  You are comfortable and confident with your current carry piece.  How long is it going to take you to retrain yourself on the new carry piece, even if you stay with a 1911 style?  Do you have the time to dedicate?  Do you really want to?

Fuck trends and the newest, bestest uber Micro .45/40/9mm.  I carry a Glock 17.  The same Glock 17 I have carried for the last 13 years.  The only caveat was that I got a new G17 a when they came out with the 3rd gen/rail issued to me by the dept.  I bought my old G17 from the dept and still carry it everywhere.

Unless you just want a new gun.....that's all the excuse you really need.

BC
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 12:25:25 PM EDT
[#39]
OK...I know...It's a freakin Llama. But my excuse is I found it at a pawn shop for $125.00. The thing digests hardball without a hiccup. Forget JHP of any kind. The budget solution to a small .45 auto carry piece, in 1911 configuration.
Hey!! this is post 223!
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 1:09:06 PM EDT
[#40]
i'd like to see some more gel tests of .45acp rounds out of a 3 vs 4 vs 5 inch barrel. especially the 230gr gold dot.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 1:12:42 PM EDT
[#41]
Bond Arms, Texas Defender
Chambered in .45acp
Very well built......and the .45LC will also chamber .410

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 1:14:13 PM EDT
[#42]
I own a Glock30 and love the thing. Its accuracy is outstanding, comfortable to shoot and holds ten rounds. The model 36 would be a little easier to conceal being a single stack but I've never shot one so I can't comment about it's accuracy or ease of shooting.
Give me some time though and I'm sure I'll have a first hand report on the 36.

And I agree with markm (can't believe I just stated that) about limiting yourself to a 45.
9mm and 40S&W will get the job done if you do your part and put the hits on the target. Not to mention it opens up your firearm choices a lot.

Get out to a rental range and try different pistols out. It's one of the best ways to find what you like and can use.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 1:22:56 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
detonics combatmaster, the smallest out there!

+1

come on guys - Detonics is back and they make a fantastic handgun.  The Combatmaster in stainless!  With the position of the rear site there is no reason to carry that .45 cocked and locked.  It was designed to be carried with the hammer down.  Draw/cock fire no problem at all based on a demonstration I saw a the range.  It is on my list of "to gets" right below a lot more ammo....

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 1:27:05 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 2:09:45 PM EDT
[#45]
I picked this up today.  I can't wait to try it out!

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 2:23:09 PM EDT
[#46]
I was fortunate enough to have friends that owned all of them, micro SA, Kimber, Para warthog, Taurus, etc.

The only two I really liked were the Taurus and the Glock, all the others were too uncomfortable to shoot and didn't provide the same level of safety. I really like the Taurus becuase it has a thumb-safety, however the Glock is HIGHLY accurate, even compared to tuned 1911's... it is my choice and I am strapped with my G36 now.

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 3:42:18 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:31:05 PM EDT
[#48]
I have 'carried' in Texas since 98, during which time I’ve owned and concealed the following:

• Walther PPK
• compact sig
• Clark officers model melt-down
• combat commander (to heavy)
• 9mm baby-Glock
• Steyr M40
• Taurus millennium pro PT111 in .40
• KAHR K9
• J-frame air-weight smith revolver
• Glock 36

By far, the thinnest, lightest, most reliable, most comfortable too shoot, most accurate concealed is the Glock 36, and I’ve got large hands. J-frame smiths are great, and I have carried the air-weight hammerless models in my front pocket.

The Glock is what I choose, based on accuracy and reliability. Taurus is not junk, but the grip is MUCHO more comfortable on the G36 than the Taurus and the Taurus also has a fairly large slide in comparison with protruding edges that can make it harder to draw from deep concealment.

I have shot pepper poppers at 75 yards from a sand-bag with mine… and have found the KAHR to not only recoil excessively, but no where NEAR as accurate by comparison.
The G36 isn’t like the ‘baby’ Glocks, because it has a large grip that is thin like the 1911.

Just my $.02
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:50:15 PM EDT
[#49]
If it matters to anyone, the PT145 has multi-strike capability. If you get a misfire on a primer, just pull the trigger again. The striker resets without needing the slide pulled. I understand that Kahrs and Glocks are not like this.

GL
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:57:13 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
If it matters to anyone, the PT145 has multi-strike capability. If you get a misfire on a primer, just pull the trigger again. The striker resets without needing the slide pulled. I understand that Kahrs and Glocks are not like this.

GL

By pointing out the 're-strike' functionality, by that same argument a J-frame is even MORE reliable because if you have a dud round, you can squeeze the DA trigger and go to the NEXT one. W/a .45acp cartridge that has a bad primer, I'm doubtful that another whack at it would produce a better result.

I’ll still wager that the Glock is not only SAFER to carry w/a round chambered, but that it is MORE reliable.

Accuracy isn’t even in question… Glocks are more accurate than any mass produced pistol, mostly accredited to the polygonal broach rifling and the superb lockup.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top